• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Good jobs are difficult to come by, at least in WA. Foreign qualification has no value to Americans - my Masters in Computing Science is laughing matter here.

That's what I found with my Science degrees. I'm not worthy enough even though I have a masters. It's a bit heartbreaking.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just a quick note(I will write a full interview experience soon).
I had my interview in Sydney today. And.......was approved?!
The whole interview was about 3 minutes. I was incredibly nervous, however, as everyone was saying as long as you have the documents it is just a quick sign off.

Thankyou to all. Really appreciate everyone's help.

Kind regards
Hugh

I booked my activation trip. I'm so excited! and nervous. :eek:
I'm still looking where I'd like to settle, and am worried about finding a job.
Everyone else seems to have found them so easy.

For me, it was a numbers game in the end. There were enough opportunities out there but I found for every five applications I submitted, I'd get one callback. In the end, it took me around five weeks to get the job I wanted (and I was being a little fussy about job location and salary). Looking for work becomes a fulltime job in and of itself, but it's worth putting the effort in.

My degrees didn't prove to be the stumbling block. It was my Australian experience they didn't quite understand and why I was in the States. So I made sure my resume was very clear and I stated in my resume that I was a lawful permanent resident (makes a difference as, if you're an LPR, they don't have to do any work with visas). Oh, and make sure you pick somewhere to live where there is work. Where I was, there were upwards of 20 new roles a day, so I was spoilt for choice.

For me, it was a numbers game in the end. There were enough opportunities out there but I found for every five applications I submitted, I'd get one callback. In the end, it took me around five weeks to get the job I wanted (and I was being a little fussy about job location and salary). Looking for work becomes a fulltime job in and of itself, but it's worth putting the effort in.

My degrees didn't prove to be the stumbling block. It was my Australian experience they didn't quite understand and why I was in the States. So I made sure my resume was very clear and I stated in my resume that I was a lawful permanent resident (makes a difference as, if you're an LPR, they don't have to do any work with visas). Oh, and make sure you pick somewhere to live where there is work. Where I was, there were upwards of 20 new roles a day, so I was spoilt for choice.

Hi @EmilyW, these are some great tips.
I think I am missing the part where I need to make it obvious that I am a LPR.

Yup. To illustrate an opposite extreme, someone on my home country forum decided to settle in Detroit because housing was dirt cheap...then complained he couldn't find a job after months and months of searching. A little more research than just house prices would have thrown that likelihood up immediately.

Hi @EmilyW, these are some great tips.
I think I am missing the part where I need to make it obvious that I am a LPR.

Oh yes, this should be at the top of your resume, just under your name!! The tech companies in particular I think get inundated with people wanting them to sponsor H1 visas so this is good advice. Also remember Americans talk themselves up so you need to as well!

Yep, in my CV header, I have a one sentence summary of who I am and then, at the end.... 'Lawful Permanent Resident'.

I also stated in my cover letters that I had recently relocated, that I was a Lawful Permanent Resident and that I could work without restriction (I didn't apply for any jobs that required you to be a citizen).

Thanks for the tip, Emily!
Didn't even think of that. Hopefully that helps and people start taking more notice of my applications :)

Prepare yourself for lots of people ignoring you. Like I said, you need to see looking for a job as a full time job. I had alerts on Indeed.com so, every morning, I would get an email with a list of jobs that were of interest to me. I then spent an hour going through each role and identifying which ones I would apply for. I then spent another 2-3 hours preparing my applications including covering letter. I would set up a folder for each role including information about the position, my application and my progress.

That way, when I did get a call back, I knew exactly what I had applied for, what I had said in my cover letter etc.

To add to this conversation about degrees and getting a job etc.

There are lots of highly qualified people in the USA, because education in the USA is a business. Many of those people are completely useless. Really. So - if you are thinking that doors will fly open because you have a degree or a masters - forget it. That is not how it works. Persistence, networking, patience are all important here. Qualifications count too, but they don't outweigh everything else.

Also be prepared for a slow hiring process. US companies tend to drag their feet....

Prepare yourself for lots of people ignoring you. Like I said, you need to see looking for a job as a full time job. I had alerts on Indeed.com so, every morning, I would get an email with a list of jobs that were of interest to me. I then spent an hour going through each role and identifying which ones I would apply for. I then spent another 2-3 hours preparing my applications including covering letter. I would set up a folder for each role including information about the position, my application and my progress.

That way, when I did get a call back, I knew exactly what I had applied for, what I had said in my cover letter etc.

Did you have a specific state you applied to? Or did you just apply all over and go to where you were able to get a job.
I just know states that have more people, like LA have lots of jobs, but with like 18 million people, that's overwhelming.

We're in North Carolina. We did our research on a variety of factors (employment opportunity, taxes, schools, weather, politics, economy) and moved here. I started applying for work in earnest two weeks after we had landed and had the kids settled into school.

Bank of America HQ, Wells Fargo's East Coast HQ (big banking presence generally) and Lowes HQ are all in the Charlotte area.

Then you have the Research Triangle in Raleigh which is phenomenal and just buzzing with opportunity.

Depending on what you do for a living, there's lots of work here. It's just a matter of finding it and being tenacious. It's not for everyone living here but, for us, it's perfect.

We're in North Carolina. We did our research on a variety of factors (employment opportunity, taxes, schools, weather, politics, economy) and moved here. I started applying for work in earnest two weeks after we had landed and had the kids settled into school.

Bank of America HQ, Wells Fargo's East Coast HQ (big banking presence generally) and Lowes HQ are all in the Charlotte area.

Then you have the Research Triangle in Raleigh which is phenomenal and just buzzing with opportunity.

Depending on what you do for a living, there's lots of work here. It's just a matter of finding it and being tenacious. It's not for everyone living here but, for us, it's perfect.

It's great you found somewhere perfect :)

For me, I'm moving alone and I love Seattle, WA and Portland, OR just not very many job opportunities for my field. More in LA but just not an ideal place to live.
I'm hopeful I'll find somewhere I'll feel at home :)

Portland was second on our list of place to move to. We love it. I just don't love the rain. Pacific Northwest damp doesn't suit my hair!

It's great you found somewhere perfect :)

For me, I'm moving alone and I love Seattle, WA and Portland, OR just not very many job opportunities for my field. More in LA but just not an ideal place to live.
I'm hopeful I'll find somewhere I'll feel at home :)

I've just moved to LA! I was tossing up between here and NYC but I'm really glad I moved here. I'm in film/TV so obviously here was best for work, but I just love the constantly great weather, the life style, the diversity of the city (can drive 30 mins and feel like you're in a different place entirely!), being near the water of course... it ain't so bad of a place to live. ;)

Hi Everyone,
Now that the stress(that wasnt required) of the CO meeting has come and gone I am planning my move to USA.

One quick question regarding moving is bank accounts. Do you think its necessary to open an HSBC account in Sydney or should I just open an account in America and wire the money across?

Thank you.

We have HSBC accounts purely because they will transfer your Australian credit score across. And it's worked a treat. Within a month of being here, our scores were in the 700s. But we have also used used the account to wire money across as HSBC's premium offering meets the rates the brokers offer on the Australian dollar.

Having said that....Day 1 of getting here, you can open bank accounts (Bank of America don't care if you don't have your SSN yet) and get yourself a secured credit card. That's an easy way to build your credit fast. HSBC have a very limited branch network here which makes doing your day to day banking near impossible.

We have Bank of American accounts for our day to day and are now just keeping the HSBC open until all our money is transferred across. We have loved HSBC. We made contact with an Australian working for HSBC in New York who facilitated everything for us. It made the transition very easy.

We have HSBC accounts purely because they will transfer your Australian credit score across. And it's worked a treat. Within a month of being here, our scores were in the 700s. But we have also used used the account to wire money across as HSBC's premium offering meets the rates the brokers offer on the Australian dollar.

Having said that....Day 1 of getting here, you can open bank accounts (Bank of America don't care if you don't have your SSN yet) and get yourself a secured credit card. That's an easy way to build your credit fast. HSBC have a very limited branch network here which makes doing your day to day banking near impossible.

We have Bank of American accounts for our day to day and are now just keeping the HSBC open until all our money is transferred across. We have loved HSBC. We made contact with an Australian working for HSBC in New York who facilitated everything for us. It made the transition very easy.
Waaait. Ok, so we're looking at guarantor services to get an apartment because we don't have US credit. But if we get an HSBC account now (we're moving in seven weeks), do you think it'll negate the need to use a guarantor? (We have great Aus credit.)

We had our interview on Tuesday and after a stressful few days, we were all approved today. My minor fake ID issue (20 years ago) did come up with the CO and I had to provide the statute / legislation under which I was charged and unconditionally dismissed (without conviction).

Here we come Austin!

Waaait. Ok, so we're looking at guarantor services to get an apartment because we don't have US credit. But if we get an HSBC account now (we're moving in seven weeks), do you think it'll negate the need to use a guarantor? (We have great Aus credit.)

Well the smart move would be to try that - regardless of what anyone here "thinks". You really shouldn't need a guarantor. Get printouts of Australian credit reports (do the same with driving and insurance records BTW to get lower insurance premiums). When looking for an apartment, you can show cash in the bank, the Aus credit reports and so on. For many landlords that will be enough.