• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hey everyone! i got my email about my interview this morning yay!
In the email though down the bottom it says,
If any documents are listed below as incomplete, please present the completed documents at the time of interview.

Case Number: 2016OC000002**
Beneficiaries: None

what does that mean? what documents does that refer to?

Hey everyone! i got my email about my interview this morning yay!
In the email though down the bottom it says,
If any documents are listed below as incomplete, please present the completed documents at the time of interview.

Case Number: 2016OC000002**
Beneficiaries: None

what does that mean? what documents does that refer to?

It means you are the winner with no derivatives (family).

You have six months from the time of your medical to activate your visa. So, say your medical is 1 October, but your interview isn't until 1 November, they will count the six months as beginning on 1 October. So your time to activate the visa expires 1 April, exactly six months after the medical.

Activation doesn't require you to permanently relocate. You have up to 12 months after activation to tie up affairs at home before making the permanent move. We activated our visas in June of this year but won't be making the permanent move until January 2016 as I'm finishing work off, selling the house, letting the kidlets have a final Aussie summer. It would be June 2016 before we would be considered to have abandoned our permanent residency, should we not return.

They get that we might have loose ends to tie up.

However, as soon as you activate, you must comply with all requirements of a permanent resident, including declaring income, filing tax returns (albeit Australia and the US have a tax treaty that prevents us from being double taxed) etc. Even if you come back home, you are still considered a permanent resident of the US.

Hi EmilyW,

Im thinking of doing the same as this. Whats the process for this? What did you have to do when you activated?

Cheers

@trezonk, you don't have to do anything other than activate the visa, come back home, and then relocate within 12 months of the activation. But you must comply with all LPR requirements (like filing taxes) as this shows your commitment to being an LPR.

In addition, during our activation trip, we did things like open bank accounts, obtain a supermarket loyalty card, visited the childrens' future schools, and secured ourselves a realtor who we keep in regular contact with. We're hoping that, when we do fly back to the US permanently in January, all of that will show the immigration officer that we always intended to return and that we are committed to our LPR status.

And we'll be on a one way ticket which should be the best proof of all!

Hi all
I am case number 2016OC000003** and I submitted my DS260 form on the 28th of May, then reopened, changed my passport details and resubmitted on 5th of July. I didn't receive an email about an interview for November which I expected to.. do you think it is just because I resubmitted in July?
Also, my National Police Certificate for my Name and Fingerprint Check confirmed my no records from the 26th of May, though the letter is dated 15 June 2015.. Do you think I should do another one as they might think it is too old?
Thanks very much.

You have six months from the time of your medical to activate your visa. So, say your medical is 1 October, but your interview isn't until 1 November, they will count the six months as beginning on 1 October. So your time to activate the visa expires 1 April, exactly six months after the medical.

Activation doesn't require you to permanently relocate. You have up to 12 months after activation to tie up affairs at home before making the permanent move. We activated our visas in June of this year but won't be making the permanent move until January 2016 as I'm finishing work off, selling the house, letting the kidlets have a final Aussie summer. It would be June 2016 before we would be considered to have abandoned our permanent residency, should we not return.

They get that we might have loose ends to tie up.

However, as soon as you activate, you must comply with all requirements of a permanent resident, including declaring income, filing tax returns (albeit Australia and the US have a tax treaty that prevents us from being double taxed) etc. Even if you come back home, you are still considered a permanent resident of the US.

Dear EmilyW,
When you say 'activate' does it mean going through immigration when you arrive in the US with your green card packet?
Thank you!

Sorry for the stupid question, but how far in advance should you do your medical before your interview? I've tried googling and searching the boards here, but I've obviously missed the answer! I'm assuming two weeks to allow for processing time but to keep it as close to your interview date as possible to allow for maximum validity time? :confused:

Sorry for the stupid question, but how far in advance should you do your medical before your interview? I've tried googling and searching the boards here, but I've obviously missed the answer! I'm assuming two weeks to allow for processing time but to keep it as close to your interview date as possible to allow for maximum validity time? :confused:
You have to make the appointment as soon as you get the 2nd NL. I made the stupid mistake of doing it too early (way before getting the 2ND NL) and I have to do it all over again.

I don't think that's a stupid question :) I wouldn't mind some thoughts on that, too. When I got the 2NL, I called the number for one of the Melbourne clinics that's listed on the DV site, and it was disconnected, so I googled them and called a new number, which worked. The receptionist told me they were handing visa medicals over to a different medical group, and transferred me to them. The new place didn't seem to know much about it but confirmed that they could do it, asked me when I wanted to come in, and just booked the date I asked for (exactly three weeks before my interview). So, I have a few questions: should I assume that this new medical group is approved for DV, should I be worried that they don't seem to be hugely knowledgeable, and is three weeks about right, time-wise?

So Im freaking out now, When I got my police check done, I didn't get the fingerprint one, only a name one. I haven't had any other names, is this an issue?