• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hey all, is anyone who has done the medical exam already able to shed some light on what will happen during the appointment and perhaps anything I need to prepare in advance? :) I'll bring my immunisation history with me, do I need anything else? Will I have to get blood tests, etc?

Hey all, is anyone who has done the medical exam already able to shed some light on what will happen during the appointment and perhaps anything I need to prepare in advance? :) I'll bring my immunisation history with me, do I need anything else? Will I have to get blood tests, etc?
Hey violetion,

When I had mine done it was pretty straight forward. First a nurse took my blood pressure, weight, height, eye test, and took some blood.
Then the doctor when through my immunization and medical history with me, then listened to my chest and make me move my legs around.
Then I went and got a chest xray.

They did ask for my HIV status, so if you've had that checked recently, get a copy of the results from your doctor, but as they took blood, they will probably run those tests anyway.

I don't think that's a stupid question :) I wouldn't mind some thoughts on that, too. When I got the 2NL, I called the number for one of the Melbourne clinics that's listed on the DV site, and it was disconnected, so I googled them and called a new number, which worked. The receptionist told me they were handing visa medicals over to a different medical group, and transferred me to them. The new place didn't seem to know much about it but confirmed that they could do it, asked me when I wanted to come in, and just booked the date I asked for (exactly three weeks before my interview). So, I have a few questions: should I assume that this new medical group is approved for DV, should I be worried that they don't seem to be hugely knowledgeable, and is three weeks about right, time-wise?
Hi gemka,

Do you know the name of the clinic? I did mine at Medibank on Williams St, they had all the right forms for US Visas which had a box to tick for DV cases.

Last edited:
Hey violetion,

When I had mine done it was pretty straight forward. First a nurse took my blood pressure, weight, height, eye test, and took some blood.
Then the doctor when through my immunization and medical history with me, then listened to my chest and make me move my legs around.
Then I went and got a chest xray.

They did ask for my HIV status, so if you've had that checked recently, get a copy of the results from your doctor, but as they took blood, they will probably run those tests anyway.

Cheers, that's useful to know. Did you have to go back for the blood results or anything?

Hi gemka,

Do you know the name of the clinic? I did mine at Medibank on Williams St, they had all the right forms for US Visas which had a box to tick for DV cases.
Hey @trezonk thanks for the info. So yes, it's (what was) Medibank, on William Street, but apparently as of this week they're going to be run by SonicHealth... When was your medical? Just hoping they're still approved for visas with the change of name/organisation. I've emailed the embassy so I'll report back when I hear from them :)

Hi Dalia
Do you know how recent the police check needs to be?
Thank you :)
It says on the website that the Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months and must be valid when you enter the States. I have done mine in July and my interview is next Tuesday so I am sure it gonna be okay:)

On the medical exam again, did any OCers get the blood test done before hand and take in results with them? If that would be acceptable, I might consider doing that and getting the necessary tests just to cut costs a bit since none of the exam will be covered by Medicare...

It says on the website that the Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months and must be valid when you enter the States. I have done mine in July and my interview is next Tuesday so I am sure it gonna be okay:)

Yes it might be okay, however it's generally not a good idea to get the PCC of where one is staying so far in advance.

The AFP check takes under a week to do so it's worth waiting until at least the 2NL before getting it done.

Just a reminder to OCers to ensure their police check is a complete / full disclosure check. The AFP form can be confusing as there is an option to selection Code 33 for 'visas', however Code 33 only includes unspent offences and is considered a 'standard' check. Select Code 33. This will include all spent and unspent offences, which is what the consulate is after.

I received my ATF police certificate the other day. Since that is the federal police, do I still have to get another certificate from when I moved from Sydney to Wagga Wagga for uni?

The AFP check takes under a week to do so it's worth waiting until at least the 2NL before getting it done.

Just a reminder to OCers to ensure their police check is a complete / full disclosure check. The AFP form can be confusing as there is an option to selection Code 33 for 'visas', however Code 33 only includes unspent offences and is considered a 'standard' check. Select Code 33. This will include all spent and unspent offences, which is what the consulate is after.

Duh, it should be don't select Code 35. Select Code 33. Otherwise the check will just be standard one.

Hey @trezonk thanks for the info. So yes, it's (what was) Medibank, on William Street, but apparently as of this week they're going to be run by SonicHealth... When was your medical? Just hoping they're still approved for visas with the change of name/organisation. I've emailed the embassy so I'll report back when I hear from them :)

It should be fine, its the doctor that's approved to do it, who they work for I don't think matters. I did mine on the 23 September.

Cheers, that's useful to know. Did you have to go back for the blood results or anything?

Hey, I've been too nervous to open any envelopes from the medical guys encase its the wrong one, so I don't know what the results are and if they are included.

Cheers

Hey, I've been too nervous to open any envelopes from the medical guys encase its the wrong one, so I don't know what the results are and if they are included.

Cheers

So we don't actually know if we passed the medical or not until the consulate interview? o_O

Hey, big thanks to all the contributors to this great thread! So useful. I'm a New Zealander who was selected for 2016 OC with a case number 7XX. I just checked last years results after entering DV 2017. Looking forward to getting everything together ASAP and interviewing sometime around June next year. This forum has allayed a lot of anxieties I had, about, for instance, a couple of old misdemeanors, which should be non-issues under the 'Petty Offense Exception'. Looking good y'all!

@violetion, there is no fail of the medical. And remember, these are doctors first and panel physicians second. If there is an issue, they are obliged to tell you. We knew our results because they weren't sealed by our panel physician. As it is, the panel doctors pretty much fill in the forms while you are there sitting in front of them so you'll know what's in the medical.

@lawnmowermanchild, you can always get a police check done now. We did that for my husband. He was thrown into the drunk tank back in his uni days but couldn't remember if he had been arrested or not. We did the check and nothing came up. We filled in the DS260 on that basis. Just bear in mind that the consulate want all spent and unspent offences listed and/or a full disclosure check.