• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hey all,
I'm pretty sure our interview will be in October (uh, whoa), so I'm doing all the document collecting at the moment. Quick question: for the education documents, should I bring high school, bachelor degree and master's degree? I guess it's better to be safe, but wondered whether I need to get my VCE documents if I bring the degree/s?
Thanks!!

You must bring your VCE. We brought along our degrees but it's the high school certificate that they are after. The degrees are helpful in that they go towards proving you won't be a public charge.

@gemka - Definitely bring your degree. Better to have too many documents than too few.

For what it's worth, I showed up with ONLY my bachelor's degree and my CO said that was fine. I don't recommend taking that risk though.

Thanks @SydSteve – super helpful! I'll probably end up digging out my primary school reports, because I'm so nervous about missing something... ha ha.

As a side note, for anyone who's interested, there's a recent episode of podcast This American Life about a Somali guy who won last year's DV – it's worth a listen.

Please help....
Does initial letters affect anything during time 4 interviews...
Like..all my documents are stated Peter Guyo Karis...
Bt my high school certificate states
Karis G Peter......can it have any impact ??

Hi guys! More questions (and I'm sure there will be plenty more to come, so apologies in advance!):
I'm just looking at the requirements for Sydney's consulate (http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/SYD - Sydney.pdf) and I've never read anywhere, before today, that you have to create this profile at ustraveldocs.com/au (which is the first thing listed on this checklist of requirements). Seems weird! Is it legit?
Also, I'm applying for a police check without fingerprints - would you advise to go the fingerprint route?
Thanks in advance for your help - honestly don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Yes, that site is legit.

No need for the fingerprints. None of the OC2015 got fingerprints. BUT, you need to make sure that, when you do the AFP check, you select Code 33. Code 35 - which is the code the AFP say you use for visas - only includes unspent convictions. For the purposes of the lottery, you need to have a full disclosure check that includes spent and unspent offences. So pick Code 33.

I have another question I was hoping someone could answer for me...

We are in the process of trying to get all of the required documents and have hit a snag. In 2013, my wife and I got married and immediately afterwards, my wife started changing her name on all of her documents (licence etc). Looking through the required documents list, it lists a 'name change certificate'. We looked on the Victorian Birth, Deaths and Marriages website and saw the option to order a 'name change certificate'. However, they actually sent us another copy of our marriage certificate.

My wife then called this morning and was advised that she had not officially changed her name?? And as a result, the marriage certificate would be sufficient.

Does anyone know anything about this? If, after our wedding, my wife changed her name, will the marriage certificate be sufficient for immigration purposes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would go down to BDM and formally change her name. Your wife will then be issued a new birth certificate, with her new name, and previous names on the back. It's - literally - ten minutes in and out of the office. You don't get a name change certificiate at BDM Victoria unless you were born interstate / overseas. For Victorian births, they will just re-issue the certificate.

If you haven't already done so, make sure her DS260 has all known names including her maiden name. That way, it will all match up to her birth certificate

DM me if you need @MelbourneBen. I have some other info that you might find helpful, but I don't want to post it in public!

I have another question I was hoping someone could answer for me...

We are in the process of trying to get all of the required documents and have hit a snag. In 2013, my wife and I got married and immediately afterwards, my wife started changing her name on all of her documents (licence etc). Looking through the required documents list, it lists a 'name change certificate'. We looked on the Victorian Birth, Deaths and Marriages website and saw the option to order a 'name change certificate'. However, they actually sent us another copy of our marriage certificate.

My wife then called this morning and was advised that she had not officially changed her name?? And as a result, the marriage certificate would be sufficient.

Does anyone know anything about this? If, after our wedding, my wife changed her name, will the marriage certificate be sufficient for immigration purposes?

Any advice would be appreciated.

A marriage certificate often includes several pieces of information, and that usually includes the wife's name prior to the marriage and the "declared name" after the wedding. If the marriage certificate has that, then it serves as a legal record of the name change - and that is then acceptable by itself. So - does your marriage cert include the two names?