• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

Hi Folks. Just wanted to thank all concerned for posting a range of extremely helpful information and answers to questions. I have been fortunate enough to win a place in the DV2016, and have been allocated a CN of 2016OC6XX (AUS). I have completed and successfully submitted by DS-260, but I am wondering if my service in the Australian military may impact my ability to secure a Visa. I have served fulltime in the past, but are currently an active reservist (engineering officer). I am willing to resign if required as the reserve is not my primary employment. Thank you.

Don't forget to get your military records.

All Australia
Available. A military discharge certificate issued by any branch of the armed forces prior to 1991 will normally state the length of service and indicate whether the discharge was honorable or not. If the discharge certificate has been lost, or does not indicate whether the discharge was honorable or dishonorable, an applicant may write to the relevant branch of the armed forces that will issue a letter providing this information:
Air Force: Directorate of Personnel, Airmen, E-2-32 (Russell Offices, Canberra, ACT 2600.
Army: Discharge cell, Soldiers' Career Management Agency, BPO Box 1932-R, Melbourne, VIC.
Navy: Directorate of Sailors' Posting, D-2-25, Canberra, ACT 2600.
Requests for such information should be made to the Secretary of that department. All information furnished should be treated as confidential.

Hi all I had a question about the police clearnace.
I have confirmed that the Hong Kong police check is valid for 12 months. If I get it this month is that too soon even though it will be valid at the time of the interview do they prefer it to be issued shortly before the interview.

As always thanks you for your assistance.

Cheers

Oh sorry one more question do you think it is necessary to update the details on the application as my spouse has got a new job in the time since the application was submitted? Thanks again.

Cheers

I have confirmed that the Hong Kong police check is valid for 12 months. If I get it this month is that too soon even though it will be valid at the time of the interview do they prefer it to be issued shortly before the interview.

Cheers

You are living and working in Hong Kong right? Unless you have an October interview I'd hold off.

Oh sorry one more question do you think it is necessary to update the details on the application as my spouse has got a new job in the time since the application was submitted? Thanks again.

Cheers

I don't think so.

You are living and working in Hong Kong right? Unless you have an October interview I'd hold off.

I don't think so.

Thanks for that,

Do you think I would have to get a UK police cert reissued as it is a couple of years old now? The police cert covers the period I lived and worked in the UK for two years from 2008-2010. Thank you.

Cheers.

Thanks for that,

Do you think I would have to get a UK police cert reissued as it is a couple of years old now? The police cert covers the period I lived and worked in the UK for two years from 2008-2010. Thank you.

Cheers.

I'd get a new one.

Thanks for that,

Cheers.

You should most definitely get a new one.

As always thanks you for your assistance.

Cheers

If you're currently residing in HK, you should only get the PCC close to your interview date.

Ok, wow. I can't believe we're in August already, the last few months have gone so fast. I've even had an unexpected work trip to the US since I last posted!

I'm 5xx - should I really start to get documents ready or do you think being 5xx we'll have quite a few months to wait? I was thinking interview would probably be in Jan/Feb?

One other question, it was my husband who got selected (we've been married for 3 years) - he got in on the merit of his work experience (did not get a degree or finish high school) - so realistically, is it all about his resume and letters of recommendations from previous employers? Is anyone else in this same situation? What docs are you fronting up with?

Ok, wow. I can't believe we're in August already, the last few months have gone so fast. I've even had an unexpected work trip to the US since I last posted!

I'm 5xx - should I really start to get documents ready or do you think being 5xx we'll have quite a few months to wait? I was thinking interview would probably be in Jan/Feb?

One other question, it was my husband who got selected (we've been married for 3 years) - he got in on the merit of his work experience (did not get a degree or finish high school) - so realistically, is it all about his resume and letters of recommendations from previous employers? Is anyone else in this same situation? What docs are you fronting up with?

What sort of work does your husband do? Have you checked O*Net?

http://britsimonsays.com/education-or-work-experience-qualifying-for-the-dv-lottery/

Last edited:

Just to be sure - you make it sound like there was some kind of check on qualifications before getting selected - there wasn't. He will need to convince the CO that he has the work experience appropriate to meeting the eligibility requirements for DV.

Yep! Like Susie pointed out, your husband didn't 'get in on the merit of his work experience'. Qualification is not taken into consideration at the point of selection, it's a completely random process regardless of selectees qualification(s).

two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two
years of training or experience to perform. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net Online
database will be used to determine qualifying work experience.

My question is 2years experience within 5 years -at the time of application in October, RIGHT???

two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two
years of training or experience to perform. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net Online
database will be used to determine qualifying work experience.

My question is 2years experience within 5 years -at the time of application in October, RIGHT???

No - as at the time of interview.

And by the way - you worded it correctly, but just to clarify. The 2 years of training is about the job, not the person. So - the job generally requires 2 years of training to perform.

Wow, 275 for the first VB for September! That's a superb number,

So that means that the following OCers have gone current and will be interviewed in October

polyvalent - xx (AUS)
GdayUSA - xx (AUS)
Cogger - 1xx (AUS)
Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
gemka - 1xx (AUS)

And maybe, depending on their numbers,

Alex McDermott - 2xx
DV2016LOST - 2xx (AUS)

Wow, 275 for the first VB for September! That's a superb number,

So that means that the following OCers have gone current and will be interviewed in October

polyvalent - xx (AUS)
GdayUSA - xx (AUS)
Cogger - 1xx (AUS)
Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
gemka - 1xx (AUS)

And maybe, depending on their numbers,

Alex McDermott - 2xx
DV2016LOST - 2xx (AUS)

It is a great number - over 25% of OC went current on the first VB.

Now - let's brace ourselves for the DS260 processing times.... which by the way may mean you need to alter your statement above to "might be interviewed in October"