• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 OC Selectees

I would go down to BDM and formally change her name. Your wife will then be issued a new birth certificate, with her new name, and previous names on the back. It's - literally - ten minutes in and out of the office. You don't get a name change certificiate at BDM Victoria unless you were born interstate / overseas. For Victorian births, they will just re-issue the certificate.

If you haven't already done so, make sure her DS260 has all known names including her maiden name. That way, it will all match up to her birth certificate

DM me if you need @MelbourneBen. I have some other info that you might find helpful, but I don't want to post it in public!

Thanks! I'll send you a message now.

A marriage certificate often includes several pieces of information, and that usually includes the wife's name prior to the marriage and the "declared name" after the wedding. If the marriage certificate has that, then it serves as a legal record of the name change - and that is then acceptable by itself. So - does your marriage cert include the two names?

Unfortunately not. It just lists her maiden name with no reference to her future 'married' name.

I would go down to BDM and formally change her name. Your wife will then be issued a new birth certificate, with her new name, and previous names on the back. It's - literally - ten minutes in and out of the office. You don't get a name change certificiate at BDM Victoria unless you were born interstate / overseas. For Victorian births, they will just re-issue the certificate.

If you haven't already done so, make sure her DS260 has all known names including her maiden name. That way, it will all match up to her birth certificate

DM me if you need @MelbourneBen. I have some other info that you might find helpful, but I don't want to post it in public!

They reissue a birth certificate in the person's married name? How bizarre!!

A marriage certificate often includes several pieces of information, and that usually includes the wife's name prior to the marriage and the "declared name" after the wedding. If the marriage certificate has that, then it serves as a legal record of the name change - and that is then acceptable by itself. So - does your marriage cert include the two names?
Unfortunately not. It just lists her maiden name with no reference to her future 'married' name.

Ours don't specify a "future" name but given convention of taking the husband's name, the fact that the certicate lists the bride's maiden name and the groom's surname is accepted as legal evidence supporting the married name appearing on future documents. It was also acceptable when traveling with for example a visa in my maiden name in an old passport and a new passport in my married name, so not just locally. Not Australian, but just to contrast vs having a 'declared' name...

They reissue a birth certificate in the person's married name? How bizarre!!

Yep, they do. On the back, they will list the person's name at birth. It's all very strange. Just like our native animals.

hqdefault.jpg

Ours don't specify a "future" name but given convention of taking the husband's name, the fact that the certicate lists the bride's maiden name and the groom's surname is accepted as legal evidence supporting the married name appearing on future documents.

^^ Ditto that.

Dumb question of the day: my wife has a habit of laminating official documents. They are stiff and plastic-y and it's a little harder to determine their legitimacy. Does it matter?

Ours don't specify a "future" name but given convention of taking the husband's name, the fact that the certicate lists the bride's maiden name and the groom's surname is accepted as legal evidence supporting the married name appearing on future documents. It was also acceptable when traveling with for example a visa in my maiden name in an old passport and a new passport in my married name, so not just locally. Not Australian, but just to contrast vs having a 'declared' name...

Yep understood - it achieves the same thing. Mine is a USA format so it was interesting to me that they call it out.

Dumb question of the day: my wife has a habit of laminating official documents. They are stiff and plastic-y and it's a little harder to determine their legitimacy. Does it matter?

I don't know whether laminating counts as 'tampering' (awful word but I couldn't think of a better one) with an official / legal document and renders them void? Especially if there are raised seals on the document (not so much with newer documents as they have other security features).

I remember (from this forum I think) a guy that had his high school and university degrees in frames and didn't want to remove them so he got copies notarised and took both in and that was fine. So maybe that is an option?

Having said that, tell your wife to stop laminating official documents!

Hm, it might. My home country embassy specifically tells us not to laminate anything we bring them. Suggest you contact the embassy in advance to check if you need unlaminated copies?

Hm, it might. My home country embassy specifically tells us not to laminate anything we bring them. Suggest you contact the embassy in advance to check if you need unlaminated copies?

Thanks guys - ok emailed them.

She even laminated my birth certificate!

Hey again,
I'm just looking at the document requirements for Sydney, and they list a CV including a list of all publications. Do you know what this entails? Myself and my husband are both writers so have had numerous things published in a variety of formats (blog posts, web copy, magazines etc).
Thanks again!

Hey again,
I'm just looking at the document requirements for Sydney, and they list a CV including a list of all publications. Do you know what this entails? Myself and my husband are both writers so have had numerous things published in a variety of formats (blog posts, web copy, magazines etc).
Thanks again!

If the principal selectee meets the requirements on education grounds, you don't need to worry too much about listing every piece you ever published. Just create a simple list of some of the highlights. If on the other hand you are trying to qualify on work experience, this detail would be crucial.

Response: "Only the consular officer can determine if the laminated document can be accepted on the day of the visa interview. "

Applications for new certificates in process.

Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the info @Britsimon

If the principal selectee meets the requirements on education grounds, you don't need to worry too much about listing every piece you ever published. Just create a simple list of some of the highlights. If on the other hand you are trying to qualify on work experience, this detail would be crucial.

I can't believe we're probably less than 2 weeks away from the 1st VB for DV2016! :eek: It's all starting to feel real now. Here's how the OC list is shaping up so far...

polyvalent - xx (AUS)
GdayUSA - xx (AUS)
Cogger - 1xx (AUS)
Emily_E3 - 1xx (AUS)
gemka - 1xx (AUS)
Alex McDermott - 2xx
DV2016LOST - 2xx (AUS)
PennyR - 3xx (AUS)
violetion - 3xx (AUS)
sarahvw - 4xx (AUS)
Elle30 - 5xx (AUS)
LazyDoggie - 5xx (FIJI)
s362596 - 5xx (AUS)
MelbourneBen - 6xx (AUS)
Teyliana - 6xx (AUS)
mlily1224 - 7xx (NZ)
tebby - 7xx (AUS)
eskimokisses - 8xx (AUS)
alwaysrose123 - 9xx (NZ)
connectedspace - 9xx (AUS)
innerwestern - 9xx (AUS)

Hi Folks. Just wanted to thank all concerned for posting a range of extremely helpful information and answers to questions. I have been fortunate enough to win a place in the DV2016, and have been allocated a CN of 2016OC6XX (AUS). I have completed and successfully submitted by DS-260, but I am wondering if my service in the Australian military may impact my ability to secure a Visa. I have served fulltime in the past, but are currently an active reservist (engineering officer). I am willing to resign if required as the reserve is not my primary employment. Thank you.