• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Because she was 1 year old at the time of DV lottery 2015 application. Moreover, I want her to further learn my original language and culture. In case that my daughter is not entitled to register on Form-DS 260, how will I be able to bring her to USA in the future ? any advice?

Basically you have made a horrible mess. If you submit your 260 with her on, you will be disqualified. If you submit the form without her on they may discover the lie anyway (and deny you and probably ban you from the US). If you do make it through the DV process without her on the form you can never bring her in to the USA as your daughter because they will then have the proof that you lied on your original immigration forms. They would most likely revoke your Green Card at that point. If you wait until you have citizenship (5 years), you might be able to get through the process - but again - it is VERY risky.

My advice? Save your entry fees, forget the DV win and learn the lesson to always answer correctly. Brutal advice - but that is my honest opinion.

Because she was 1 year old at the time of DV lottery 2015 application. Moreover, I want her to further learn my original language and culture. In case that my daughter is not entitled to register on Form-DS 260, how will I be able to bring her to USA in the future ? any advice?

I'm afraid you've messed big time. You should have followed the simple instruction to include your daughter. By not declaring her on your form, that can be treated as withholding of material information. Without declaring her, you will not be able to file for her later on to come to the US.

Hi, am new here and a 2015 selectee from Africa. i have been following the various comments in this forum and i must say they are educative. i have question. On the ds260 form i chose high school diploma as my highest level of qualification but i also have diploma in computer studies. will this be a problem?. thanks.

Hi, am new here and a 2015 selectee from Africa. i have been following the various comments in this forum and i must say they are educative. i have question. On the ds260 form i chose high school diploma as my highest level of qualification but i also have diploma in computer studies. will this be a problem?. thanks.

No it won't be a problem - as long as your education is equivilent to US HIgh School education (i.e. the level needed to enter a US College/University.

No it won't be a problem - as long as your education is equivilent to US HIgh School education (i.e. the level needed to enter a US College/University.

thank you very much sir. I was worried because I listed the schools attended including where I got the diploma but did not choose that as my highest level of education.

Hello everyone. My sister's case number is AS56xx. Per your expert guesstimate, what do you think her chances are and when do you think she will have her interview? Thank you!!

Good number. 100% chance. Interview in May 2015.

Evidence

Are you from Nepal or Iran? If so that might delay the interview by a couple of months depending but still a good number.

Good number. 100% chance. Interview in May 2015.

Evidence

Are you from Nepal or Iran? If so that might delay the interview by a couple of months depending but still a good number.

THANK YOU!! My sister lives in Singapore. Hopefully everything will go well for her. Congrats and best wishes to all DV selectees!

Hi everybody… Another view questions about the filling of DS-260
1- Children: if one if the soupses had a child but this child had been adopted by another family and so does'nt live with the soupses (and even doesn't have the same name): do they have to answer YES and then tell the child does'nt live with and doesn't emigrate or, more easy, is it better to answer NO?
2- PRESENT WORK/EDUCATION/TRAINING: it gives a limited choice of works, so when you are a CREATIVE WRITER, are you considered as an ARTIST/PERFORMER or COMMUNICATION?
3 - Same as precedent: they ask for the address of the employer, but an artist or a writer is not an employee, we have editors but we aren't salaried. So, do we have still to give the address of the editor?
4- Spouse is ACTRESS and CREATIVE WRITER. But NOT EMPLOYED for the moment. Which definition is the best for the ds-260?
5 - Social Security: have we to ask for one in the US, and may we or not keep our french social security?
Thank's a lot everybody! :)

Hi everybody… Another view questions about the filling of DS-260
1- Children: if one if the soupses had a child but this child had been adopted by another family and so does'nt live with the soupses (and even doesn't have the same name): do they have to answer YES and then tell the child does'nt live with and doesn't emigrate or, more easy, is it better to answer NO?
2- PRESENT WORK/EDUCATION/TRAINING: it gives a limited choice of works, so when you are a CREATIVE WRITER, are you considered as an ARTIST/PERFORMER or COMMUNICATION?
3 - Same as precedent: they ask for the address of the employer, but an artist or a writer is not an employee, we have editors but we aren't salaried. So, do we have still to give the address of the editor?
4- Spouse is ACTRESS and CREATIVE WRITER. But NOT EMPLOYED for the moment. Which definition is the best for the ds-260?
5 - Social Security: have we to ask for one in the US, and may we or not keep our french social security?
Thank's a lot everybody! :)

1- Don't answer no. Fill in DS 260 and state that the child does not live with you. If you didn't mention in your initial entry you might get disqualified.
2- What do you think?
3 - I think its better you give.
4- Unemployed
5 - USA SSN is different. You will get another one.

1- Don't answer no. Fill in DS 260 and state that the child does not live with you. If you didn't mention in your initial entry you might get disqualified.
2- What do you think?
3 - I think its better you give.
4- Unemployed
5 - USA SSN is different. You will get another one.
Thanks for your answer usamommy2015!
For the question 2, I think artist/performer is more appropriate to the job of creative worker.

Hum, again with the 1.
Wait a minute
For the initial entry, I was the principal submitter, but my soups has been selected. For the "children" informations, we didn't give any information at all… So we didn't say if my spouse had or hadn't children. The fact is she had one, but the child (under 21) has been adopted so she has no links any longer with. So in THIS case, what have we to do? Please….

another thing
On the first demand, they ask "number if unmarried children under 21". I answered no, because I have a daughter which is 26 years old and don't emigrate. So on the ds-260, have I to mention her ? I suppose so….

@Edouard ,

The answer to that should be 'No' IMO. I know the DV instruction says to list ALL natural born children on the eDV application. However, there are rules and laws that supercedes that instruction, again IMO. INA 101(b)(1) does not regard children given up for adoption as the children of the birth parents. Adopted children are considered to be the children of the parents who adopted them (as long as the adoption was legally and properly done)

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter2.html

So, since you did not list the child on your eDV application, there's no need to list the child on your DS-260 form or that of your wife, and there's no need to provide any explanation that the child will not be migrating with you.

Wait a minute
For the initial entry, I was the principal submitter, but my soups has been selected. For the "children" informations, we didn't give any information at all… So we didn't say if my spouse had or hadn't children. The fact is she had one, but the child (under 21) has been adopted so she has no links any longer with. So in THIS case, what have we to do? Please….

By the way, a little bit of calrification with regards to the DV process. Yes, you were the principal "submitter" when it comes to Global Services or whatever service it was you registered with that assisted with your application. However, that point is mute when it comes to the selection. Your wife was entered as a principal applicant, just like you were entered as a principal applicant. Her selection wasn't dependent on your being the 'principal submitter' so please stop making reference to that, it might get people confused. For your CN, your wife is the Principal Applicant/Main Selectee/Petitioner!

@Edouard ,

The answer to that should be 'No' IMO. I know the DV instruction says to list ALL natural born children on the eDV application. However, there are rules and laws that supercedes that instruction, again IMO. INA 101(b)(1) does not regard children given up for adoption as the children of the birth parents. Adopted children are considered to be the children of the parents who adopted them (as long as the adoption was legally and properly done)

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter2.html

So, since you did not list the child on your eDV application, there's no need to list the child on your DS-260 form or that of your wife, and there's no need to provide any explanation that the child will not be migrating with you.

By the way, a little bit of calrification with regards to the DV process. Yes, you were the principal "submitter" when it comes to Global Services or whatever service it was you registered with that assisted with your application. However, that point is mute when it comes to the selection. Your wife was entered as a principal applicant, just like you were entered as a principal applicant. Her selection wasn't dependent on your being the 'principal submitter' so please stop making reference to that, it might get people confused. For your CN, your wife is the Principal Applicant/Main Selectee/Petitioner!

Excellent analysis and great advice. Worth a hell of a lot more than the zero dollars charged.

We are all grateful for your input Mom!

You must list ALL your living children who are unmarried and under 21 years of age at the time of your initial E-DV entry, whether they are your natural children, your stepchildren (even if you are now divorced from that child’s parent), your spouse’s children, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country. List all children under 21 years of age at the time of your electronic entry, even if they no longer reside with you or you do not intend for them to immigrate under the DV program. You are not required to list children who are already U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents, though you will not be penalized if you do include them.

I am guessing you were supposed to list the child, because he/she can derive immigration rights from the mother. I am not super knowledgeable about this but I know at the end of the day its about you convincing the CO that you did not do this with any malicious intent. GOOD LUCK!

You must list ALL your living children who are unmarried and under 21 years of age at the time of your initial E-DV entry, whether they are your natural children, your stepchildren (even if you are now divorced from that child’s parent), your spouse’s children, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country. List all children under 21 years of age at the time of your electronic entry, even if they no longer reside with you or you do not intend for them to immigrate under the DV program. You are not required to list children who are already U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents, though you will not be penalized if you do include them.

I am guessing you were supposed to list the child, because he/she can derive immigration rights from the mother. I am not super knowledgeable about this but I know at the end of the day its about you convincing the CO that you did not do this with any malicious intent. GOOD LUCK!

Mom and I both looked at this and researched the rules. Mom's opinion is posted above and I agree with her opinion. This is a rare circumstance, but given that adoption means giving up all parental rights and that a natural mother might not know anything of the childs whereabouts or name, we both thought it was safer to continue ommitting the child from the forms and the process. However, that does mean never trying to confer US immigration benefits on the child in the future - but I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

@Edouard ,

Thank you for your advices. Apparently there is some difference of opinion between usamommy2015 on one side and sm1smom and Britsimon on the other. I understand both points of views but need to know what is the US administration position!
So, let's resume the situation. My spouse had a child before we met, and for personal reasons was unable to assume it, so the child has been adopted by mother an stepfather of my spouse. By now she has no longer legal rights on the child, and has no more links with her family (nor mother, stepfather or child). The child was born in 2003 so is 11 now. On the first application in oct 2013 my spouse didn't mention any children information, and it was accepted like that : "CHILDREN INFORMATION: You have no children information." So we didn't lie or anything like that. But on the DS-260 we have either to say "NO", following the sm1smom advice, wich is easier, or "YES", according to usamommy2015, and then precise the child will not emigrate. The problem is that on the DS-260 you can't explain your life and say the child was adopted, so the US admn may ask: "Wait a minute! You have a child of 11 and let it aside? We don't trust you and consider you are cheating us!" And, sincerely, my spouse doesn't like to have to explain herself or justify her past life which was no good memories…

My turn now. I had also a child from a former marriage, born in 1988, so the child is 26 now and independent. On the former demand I did',t mention it because it asked for children under 21. Have I now to precise on the ds-260 the existence of this child or not? This is not very clear for me.

Thanks a lot everybody, you are really of a great help!:)

I tell you that when we'll be finally in the States we'll invite you to have a drink at home, guys! Cause your help on this forum is precious… :rolleyes:

So, another question about this DS-260 according to the educational level and degrees. Have we to list the diplomas in the native language (french in that case), as they are on official papers or do we have to translate it in english?
for instance, the french "Licencié en Droit" from 1976 is equivalent of "Master 1 of Law". So, what do you think?
Thaaaaanks a lot.;)

Another question…. :confused: Sorry, I'm abusing, I know…
They ask on the ds-260 if we had obtained former visas for the USA. In fact I had one during my studies in 1977 :eek: for 3 months but the journey had been cancelled so I didn't use this visa. Is it so obsolete that it is not necessary to mention it or have I to do as well? And if so, as far as my old passport of 1977 is lost for many years, how to get the precise authorizations ?
I know, it's cutting the hairs in four (do you use this expression in english?) :cool: