• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

"Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:
  • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns."
Underline added.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Well from what i see at that link, i can use freefile electronically if im abroad
does anyone have experience with this?

Well from what i see at that link, i can use freefile electronically if im abroad
does anyone have experience with this?

Unless you moved on 1 January, it's a bit complicated because you need to file as a non-resident and then as a resident for the applicable times of the year. The IRS itself suggests you use a tax consultant to assist with this. Even if you don't, I'm not sure you can do a dual filing like this from abroad. I certainly haven't seen anyone report doing this yet - which is not to say with certainty that it can't be done.

Unless you moved on 1 January, it's a bit complicated because you need to file as a non-resident and then as a resident for the applicable times of the year. The IRS itself suggests you use a tax consultant to assist with this. Even if you don't, I'm not sure you can do a dual filing like this from abroad. I certainly haven't seen anyone report doing this yet - which is not to say with certainty that it can't be done.

Well this is puzzling...

Im a student so i definitely have no income

Per IRS form 54
https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html

I wont have to file if my income is not >10,300 (single)
I guess its better to file tho, im just not sure how to do it

Can i just dl the Form 1040EZ fill it up with 0's for everything and send it by post?

Well this is puzzling...

Per IRS form 54

Can i just dl the Form 1040EZ fill it up with 0's for everything and send it by post?
It would not be appropriate to provide individual legal tax advice on this forum. Just one aspect: IRS is asking for bank accounts/financial assets held abroad under tax payers control. As you live abroad, it would be difficult to state that you have none, also depending on the type of financial information you shared during DV approval process. It is a can of worms, sure you can proceed as you suggest based on full understanding of the implications. Based on the information you provided it is unlikely that you owe taxes, yet you do have to file and comply with IRS regulations, just to state the obvious. Good luck!

Well this is puzzling...

Per IRS form 54

Note: this is NOT tax advice, just repeating something: IRS does say you can choose to file as a resident for the full year if you want so if there is no tax implication it won't matter if you do that. However - bear in mind I and a number of others here had their forms filled in by consultants so I don't know what you will do if IRS audits you, etc.

When you go for your naturalization they will ask for 5 years of tax filings so - assuming you would want citizenship as soon as you can get it - that is why I would definitely suggest you file even if you have no income.

It would not be appropriate to provide individual legal tax advice on this forum. Just one aspect: IRS is asking for bank accounts/financial assets held abroad under tax payers control. As you live abroad, it would be difficult to state that you have none, also depending on the type of financial information you shared during DV approval process. It is a can of worms, sure you can proceed as you suggest based on full understanding of the implications. Based on the information you provided it is unlikely that you owe taxes, yet you do have to file and comply with IRS regulations, just to state the obvious. Good luck!

It's only if the aggregate amount is more than, I think, $10000. But good reminder. Also I believe FBAR filing is now due March or April rather than June - need to double check the filing date.

Hi,
my wife and I entered in January to activate our LPR. We received SSN in two weeks and now we are waiting for green card.
Can you help me in some question?
After how many time do you suggest to contact uscis to get info about our status?
We asked for a bank account but the bank employee said us that we need green card to activate it. In this thread I read that someone opened it before getting green card, so is it possible?
Next month we'll come back home to prepare to move to USA definitely: could we have some problem to reentry after 8 months?
Thank you

Hi,
my wife and I entered in January to activate our LPR. We received SSN in two weeks and now we are waiting for green card.
Can you help me in some question?
After how many time do you suggest to contact uscis to get info about our status?
We asked for a bank account but the bank employee said us that we need green card to activate it. In this thread I read that someone opened it before getting green card, so is it possible?
Next month we'll come back home to prepare to move to USA definitely: could we have some problem to reentry after 8 months?
Thank you

The bank employee is completely misinformed. First you do not need to be a permanent resident to open a bank account. Try a different bank or ask to speak to a manager at the same bank if for some reason you are set on an account there.

Secondly you have proof of permanent residence anyway in the form of your stamped immigrant visa which anyone who requires a green card must accept.

It appears that the current time for arrival of plastic green cards is 2-3 months.

You should have no problem entering after 8 months, especially presuming you will be entering on a one-way ticket. CBP officer may ask a couple of questions to understand your intention about residence, that's all.

The bank employee is completely misinformed. First you do not need to be a permanent resident to open a bank account. Try a different bank or ask to speak to a manager at the same bank if for some reason you are set on an account there.

Secondly you have proof of permanent residence anyway in the form of your stamped immigrant visa which anyone who requires a green card must accept.

It appears that the current time for arrival of plastic green cards is 2-3 months.

You should have no problem entering after 8 months, especially presuming you will be entering on a one-way ticket. CBP officer may ask a couple of questions to understand your intention about residence, that's all.

Today we went to another bank but the emloyee said us we need a proof of residence (a statement of another bank o_O or a telephone/mobile bill etc.). If we can't open a bank account how is possible for us to pay bills? o_O. The employee said that it is the rule, if we don't show a bill we won't be able to open a bank account.
We would ask for driver's license but we are afraid that we have to show some documents prooving our residence.
We're worried

Today we went to another bank but the emloyee said us we need a proof of residence (a statement of another bank o_O or a telephone/mobile bill etc.). If we can't open a bank account how is possible for us to pay bills? o_O. The employee said that it is the rule, if we don't show a bill we won't be able to open a bank account.
We would ask for driver's license but we are afraid that we have to show some documents prooving our residence.
We're worried

It seems to depend on the bank. Have you tried Bank of America, apparently they will open an account just with a passport. Chase did need proof of residence but we had that already (via a relative) so it wasn't an issue for us.

Hi,
finally we opened a bank account in Bank of America. It approved credit card too.
Last week my wife received her plastic green card (DV2). We applied for nycid and for driver's license. Our status is a little bit better then 10 days ago:). Now I'm waiting my plastic green card (DV1) and I hope it arrives before we leave to come back home, next month.
Thanks for your advices! ;)

Hi,
I am interested to know about my situation please ?
I entered in USA on October 2015
leave USA on December 2015
now I am outside of USA (still in my origin of my country (Europe) ).
when I was in USA worked there 2 weeks. ( did not fill file about taxes )
from my situation that I have (economic situation) I will enter in USA on September ( 9 month when I leaved USA) .
my question:Am I doing any trouble please ? will be a problem or not ?
could you answer please ? SUSIEQQ, Sm1 smomm, .....
we got green card - for all of my family as a DV program.

Hi,
I am interested to know about my situation please ?
I entered in USA on October 2015
leave USA on December 2015
now I am outside of USA (still in my origin of my country (Europe) ).
when I was in USA worked there 2 weeks. ( did not fill file about taxes )
from my situation that I have (economic situation) I will enter in USA on September ( 9 month when I leaved USA) .
my question:Am I doing any trouble please ? will be a problem or not ?
could you answer please ? SUSIEQQ, Sm1 smomm, .....
we got green card - for all of my family as a DV program.

You should have filed a tax return for 2015, whether or not you worked in the US, because you were a LPR for part of the year.
I don't think you'll have any trouble returning (assuming you will be returning permanently in September and not just for a short while) but you need to get your tax return filed - you're already overdue.

You should have filed a tax return for 2015, whether or not you worked in the US, because you were a LPR for part of the year.
I don't think you'll have any trouble returning (assuming you will be returning permanently in September and not just for a short while) but you need to get your tax return filed - you're already overdue.
do I have a problem that I am already overdue about tax return for 2015 please . what can I do about it