• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

SusieQQQ I always wondered if the copies end up in the brown bag. How are they useful to uscis since they are in the original language spoken in the applicant's country of origin. How do they read them? :D Any speculations?

They go into your file. Anything else that gets done on your case goes into that file too. When you file for citizenship, out comes your file and they check everything. Or if you file for another relative to come, out comes the file so they can check you don't suddenly have a family member that should have been on your entry or DS form.

Also, surely it's no surprise to you that the US is full of people who can speak many languages and that USCIS employs a bunch of them?!

It is not a surprise when it comes to popular languages like German, Spanish or French but there are many that are not. They can't possibly have a representative of each language. I come from a small country with a rare language which prompted me to wonder in a first place. It is just a nice thing for them to not ask for translations when it could have been the case that they do.

It is not a surprise when it comes to popular languages like German, Spanish or French but there are many that are not. They can't possibly have a representative of each language. I come from a small country with a rare language which prompted me to wonder in a first place. It is just a nice thing for them to not ask for translations when it could have been the case that they do.

You've got to be kidding! You think they simply accept documents in foreign language without a certified translation attached to it?

That is exactly the point. When you do CP you simply give copies of the docs so long they are in the official language of the country. Then SusieQQQ suggested they go into your file and I was surprised as I did not see how they are of any use. I gather you disagree with both?

You've got to be kidding! You think they simply accept documents in foreign language without a certified translation attached to it?

For CP, in most countries they accept documents in the official language of the country. In some they require translation to english. In SA all non-english documents have to be translated or an official english replacement obtained.
I guess hopper hasn't considered the obvious - that the embassy in his home country has provided the necessary translated info in the brown envelope too. All documents are generally in standard form so it must be pretty easy to do.
Hopper, I guarantee you you will not be the first person in the US who speaks your language, no matter how rare you think it is :D.if there is a US consulate in your country and there are enough people there to process in native language then I guarantee you USCIS does not have any problem translating what is in your file. :rolleyes:

Sure. But it is still work that the embassy does for you when they can have you bring translations. And also sure there are a bunch of people who speak my language here but it was a strech assuming some of them work for uscis. It seemed inefficient. From my perspective they saved me work from not having to translate the documents and that was nice of them. :)

That is exactly the point. When you do CP you simply give copies of the docs so long they are in the official language of the country. Then SusieQQQ suggested they go into your file and I was surprised as I did not see how they are of any use. I gather you disagree with both?

Not in all countries. Yes in some, they accept the documents in the foreign official language, and in that situation, they have people in the embassy who are able to read the documents submitted as is. Should that happen to be a rare official language, you had better believe that translated copies will be included in what goes into the official USCIS file back in the US just like Susie stated above, and they will refer to the file to cross check all the documents initially submitted at the time of naturalization.

Sure. But it is still work that the embassy does for you when they can have you bring translations. And also sure there are a bunch of people who speak my language here but it was a strech assuming some of them work for uscis. It seemed inefficient. From my perspective they saved me work from not having to translate the documents and that was nice of them. :)

Ok. Again.
I presume everything in your country is pretty standard? All birth certificates look pretty much the same? All marriage certificates look the same? Etc? All USCIS need is a master with translation of the standard fields to see what they need to. Maybe the odd thing from the embassy to fill in something non-obvious. And your DS260. Which is in English. Which is actually what uscis is interested in for future purposes.
Also, whatever you might think is a stretch, there is a good reason your country is not one of the few required to provide a translation.
In other news, 2 + 2 = 4.

I got what you were saying. The discussion stemmed from curiousity rather than opposition. Thanks for going so in depth about your logic.

Hi guys! Had my interview today. Everything went smooth except a final surprise: I was asked to provide a Criminal record from a country I haven't stayed for 12 months (as max). As per DV instructions we aren't supposed to get a Criminal record from these countries (unless still being resident, which is not my case). I explained to the CO to have been following these rules but she insisted to her request so now I'm on AP...
Don't worry, they asked for your passports to be dropped with the certificate, you will get the visa. It is very OK, they asked for a certificate. If a person can commit a crime somewhere in 12 months, he can do the same thing in 9/10 months too. The inportant thing is that you know you are clear :)

Last edited:
I was just looking for somebody who is in the same situation. Filled the DS late and get the interview by now :) I respect every opinion but nobody holds the supreme truth, unless u been in same situation and u know what's going on :)
Thanks for all ur help

I was just looking for somebody who is in the same situation. Filled the DS late and get the interview by now :) I respect every opinion but nobody holds the supreme truth, unless u been in same situation and u know what's going on :)
Thanks for all ur help

Well then, you should have indicated precisely what you're looking for. No one here is a mind reader, you can't post 'hello everyone, my CN is xxx. Will a possibly get an interview' twice and expect us to interpret the second posting to mean you submitted your DS form late and are interested in hearing from someone in a similar situation.

Thanks for all ur help

Well if no-one holds the "supreme truth" why bother asking?
If anyone disagreed with what you had been answered originally, they would have posted a contrasting opinion...

And no-one is in an identical situation to you anyway. For example: single person with normal european name just graduated college and never left his home town, vs a married person with a name similar to someone on a terrorism list who has lived in many places and spouse comes from somewhere known for terrorism, both submitting DS260s on the same day, will not be completed processing the same time as clearly the background check on the second will take longer.

I trust this forum is open to anyone in the planet and again everybody should be free to ask whatever question he or she has despite the answers s(he) has gotten up to that point. No one personally owns this website (except for the real owners) and nobody should be accused of or blamed for asking twice or thrice as this is an open platform. There is no group of people or subsidiaries to potentially rule on people with irony and sarcasm. You answer if you know about a subject and again if you want to help but otherwise you cannot simply try to dominate over people with past experience or an existing title. This comment of mine does not have a specific target at all and I just wanted to share a feeling or comment of mine that I've had for some time now. Peace and love to you, all.

I trust this forum is open to anyone in the planet and again everybody should be free to ask whatever question he or she has despite the answers s(he) has gotten up to that point. No one personally owns this website (except for the real owners) and nobody should be accused of or blamed for asking twice or thrice as this is an open platform. There is no group of people or subsidiaries to potentially rule on people with irony and sarcasm. You answer if you know about a subject and again if you want to help but otherwise you cannot simply try to dominate over people with past experience or an existing title. This comment of mine does not have a specific target at all and I just wanted to share a feeling or comment of mine that I've had for some time now. Peace and love to you, all.

Absolutely.
And no one is required to answer your repeated queries either... so don't get all snippy when they don't please... peace out.

i appologise for posting twice, please one of the moderators delete my "spam" susieQQQ is getting upset here. THREAD CLOSED :)
good luck to all selectees