• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Well done to the newly approved and thanks all for your thoughts RE credit cards. It was pretty well what I had in mind, but it's nice to get a second opinion.

Ok potentially silly question but do the 2nl's actually get sent out via email to your registered account? Or you just check our status online on the ceac website to gain the interview information?
Thanks guys

You'll get an email saying to check the CEAC website.

Plus there are been a few reports of people not getting the email notification. So when your CN is current, be sure to check the ESC site on your own also. Someone actually missed their scheduled interview as a result of this (back in Nov, I think?), and is still waiting and hoping to be rescheduled.

True @Sm1smom. I remember we just checked that site over and over daily once we we knew we were current, just to make sure we didn't miss the letter.

I'd keep it unless the annual fee is high.

I've been recommending people get the 28 Degrees Mastercard. There's no foreign currency conversion fee and no annual fee, so you can use it to buy everything until you get a US credit card (which will take six months). Then just leave it in your sock drawer for paying aussie bills online.

Also the Citibank debit card has no foreign currency fee for ATM withdrawals so it's good for transferring cash.

In general I'm going to leave everything in Australia. Who knows when you'll need a backup plan one day?

Thanks mate! @guestgulkan @GANDT-SYD - ... here's an interesting but often overlooked fact - the 28 degrees mastercard also has zero fees on replacement cards - worldwide - whereas many other cards in the fine print have hefty replacement fees, especially worldwide. This card also comes with an international 24/7 concierge service - which you need if you've just had your bag pinched, or need to make urgent arrangements. Agreed after we get a local US credit card it will sit at home, but for the first few months it will be carried around a lot possibly, and with a greater risk of being stolen along with the purse/wallet/bag, as may happen from time to time. The online card seems to be backed by Hallmark / GE Money which are large international companies, sort of reassuring. ... so now only if they would add frequent flyer points on to the card ... :cool: (as long as they are not JetStar ones) :p

Thanks mate! @guestgulkan @GANDT-SYD - ... here's an interesting but often overlooked fact - the 28 degrees mastercard also has zero fees on replacement cards - worldwide - whereas many other cards in the fine print have hefty replacement fees, especially worldwide. This card also comes with an international 24/7 concierge service - which you need if you've just had your bag pinched, or need to make urgent arrangements. Agreed after we get a local US credit card it will sit at home, but for the first few months it will be carried around a lot possibly, and with a greater risk of being stolen along with the purse/wallet/bag, as may happen from time to time. The online card seems to be backed by Hallmark / GE Money which are large international companies, sort of reassuring. ... so now only if they would add frequent flyer points on to the card ... :cool: (as long as they are not JetStar ones) :p

The only other card I know is the Bankwest Zero Plantium but it doesn't have frequent flyer points.

Many other cards have hefty replacement fees? I think you're falling prey to some slick marketing there my friend. Are these guys trying to justify hefty annual fees?

Many other cards have hefty replacement fees? I think you're falling prey to some slick marketing there my friend. Are these guys trying to justify hefty annual fees?

The 28 Degree Mastercard has $0 annual fee, and no international conversion or transaction fees.

The 28 Degree Mastercard has $0 annual fee, and no international conversion or transaction fees.

Well then go for it as long it doesn't have any hidden charges ... Apparently this is a completely costless card, interesting business model ;)
I've never had a card that charges "conversion" or "transaction" fees internationally, do be aware that you will be charged a terrible exchange rate and if you ask about it you will be fobbed off "that's determined by visa/MasterCard and not us"

Has any body been collecting any DATA on 2NL release dates for DV2015? I'm ever so slightly concerned that I'm current with an "In Transit" CEAC status but haven't yet received my 2NL and the my case number in the ESC hasn't been updated. I suppose what I'm asking has anyone received their 2NL this year with 4 or less weeks to go until their scheduled interview?

My interpretation of the 28 degrees mastercard is that their website and marketing is a bit like google click ads - why not use our travel insurance why you're on our site - why not use our card repayment default insurance, ... Their third party relationship commisions must be a good revenue raiser.

Has any body been collecting any DATA on 2NL release dates for DV2015? I'm ever so slightly concerned that I'm current with an "In Transit" CEAC status but haven't yet received my 2NL and the my case number in the ESC hasn't been updated. I suppose what I'm asking has anyone received their 2NL this year with 4 or less weeks to go until their scheduled interview?

If your case is marked as in Transit - you are getting your 2NL. That's certain. It is obviously later than normal, but the earliest Sydney August interview is August 4 - so you have plenty of time if you get the 2NL this coming week (which you will).

If you really can't stand the wait - you can phone KCC - they will give you the date.

My interpretation of the 28 degrees mastercard is that their website and marketing is a bit like google click ads - why not use our travel insurance why you're on our site - why not use our card repayment default insurance, ... Their third party relationship commisions must be a good revenue raiser.

Hmm. Maybe.

Or maybe they are just making margin by not paying anyone in customer service, judging by these reviews ;)
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/wizard-clear-advantage-mastercard.html

Hello fellow winners!
I've been going through previous comments and forums and this is my first posting. What a great resource. Britsimon, EmilyW and SusieQQQ have been particularly helpful.
I have a few questions and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Due to a few issues I have held off submitting the DS260. Does anyone know what is the latest time that this can be completed (I do know there is some risk in doing so as the visa quota many run out).
If selected for an interview, how long does it usually take for the passport to become available for collection?.

I've tried call the American Embassy in Sydney but can't get through. I hold an R C1/D visa already and I don't want this to be cancelled. Does have the GC visa stamped in your passport negate any other visa types?

Are any previous winners still drawing an income from Australia?.

Best of luck everyone.

2016OCXXX5X

I wouldn't hold off any later than January / February 2016. We had one person in our group who was a sub-10 number. They submitted in January (from memory) and interviewed in June.

Once you have an interview and are approved, it only takes a few days for your passport to get back to you. Sydney kids are getting theirs the next day. I got mine on the Thursday after the interview on Tuesday, so two days (I'm in Melbourne). I expect it may be a bit longer for Perth, Darwin and maybe even South Australia. If there are issues like the embassy not keeping the right documentation during the interview (it happened to a couple of people this year), it will take longer but not a massive delay.

I can't answer the question on negating other visas. I know my brother was on an O1 visa. Once he got his GC after marrying his American wife, the O1 visa no longer applied. From that point, he was a lawful permanent resident with all the requisite requirements and obligations.

In terms of income, we will continue to draw an investment income but that's it. The US won't care if you draw an income from Australia (well, they will care if you're drawing that income while living in Australia and not the US) but you'll have to file a US tax return showing that income. We do have a treaty with the US that prevents us from being taxed twice.

I've tried call the American Embassy in Sydney but can't get through. I hold an R C1/D visa already and I don't want this to be cancelled. Does have the GC visa stamped in your passport negate any other visa types?

2016OCXXX5X

I don't know what visa type that is or why you wouldn't want it cancelled, but yes an immigrant visa will result in others being cancelled. A green card is intended for would be immigrants, and there is no need from a uscis perspective to not cancel any other visas. The fact that you don't want to cancel the others seems to imply that you are not really committed to living in the U.S.?

2016OCXXX5X
I don't know what visa type that is or why you wouldn't want it cancelled, but yes an immigrant visa will result in others being cancelled. A green card is intended for would be immigrants, and there is no need from a uscis perspective to not cancel any other visas. The fact that you don't want to cancel the others seems to imply that you are not really committed to living in the U.S.?

Ok so I was curious and looked this up. It's a crew member visa right? Not sure why you would want to keep it other than being unsure about the residency impacts of traveling in and out constantly on a green card, which is probably a valid concern. However, just to be sure you understand, an immigrant visa is valid for a maximum of 6 months - you have to activate it (get your green card) or it expires worthless.