• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Lol, an hour and a half later I was still chuckling at the breeding prowess of a family which enabled someone to have "tons of relatives and immediate family members" in a different country, but I see the post has been edited to a somewhat more sedate "family" as well as taking out some of the more...judgemental aspect. No doubt you have your opinion , and no doubt the families in my town who earn millions of dollars a year and for whom private school fees are petty cash yet still live here to send their kids to the local public schools, see differently. For some people, it's more important to send kids to schools with good placement for ivy and elite colleges and national /Olympic sports teams than those that teach bible stories. But as you said, it's a personal choice. Fwiw, our kids were at religiously-affiliated private schools before we moved to the U.S., so we have nothing against them in principle - and they happened to be the best available schools where we used to live, so that's where we sent the kids. In any case, I think I shall take the suggestion of a PM and stop engaging with you and focus on people who have actually won and actually want to move.
Here you go again.... calm down! I did edit some words there to clarify what I was wanting to say. Sometimes thoughts that sound well in my head does not appear that good on paper... if you know what I mean.

Here you go again.... calm down! I did edit some words there to clarify what I was wanting to say. Sometimes thoughts that sound well in my head does not appear that good on paper... if you know what I mean.

Indeed.

Blimey. No pressure, kids! :)

For kids that are very bright, this is a natural choice. But the U.S. college system application process is not quite as simple as "get good grades and you get in", and the school you choose can make a big difference. Similarly, as I'm sure is the case in many countries - I know it was in my old country - certain schools are known for certain sports and athletes often get scouted there. The high school my daughter will attend - which has an excellent college placement record - is also well known for national league players in one particular major sport, and also for Olympic team members in a particular water sport. This means nothing to us, but it does mean a lot to people whose kids are particularly talented in those sports. (Interestingly the kids have to maintain a certain gpa to remain on the sports teams so they can't ignore schoolwork!) I'm sure Australia and New Zealand have particular schools that are well known for rugby and cricket, for example, pretty much the same thing. But yeah, it's a personal choice and different kids will suit different things and different schools. It's absolutely true unfortunately that for the talented, there is huge pressure, as mom will know and as I saw from my sister's college application process too. So a school that has systems in place to help kids (and their parents!!) deal with this pressure is also something to look for.

For some people, it's more important to send kids to schools with good placement for ivy and elite colleges and national /Olympic sports teams than those that teach bible stories

For me, I would prefer Bible Stories yes! Its most important for my kids to have Bible knowledge. I'm not a religious person but I see the importance of Christian education- I am not going to shove it into there throats but give them the choice. It didn't hurt me going to a Christian school. not all my friends at school were from Christian homes, but Hindus, muslims etc preferred this particular school because of its reputation and high standards. America was in trouble the moment it took out Christian education from its public schools.
America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from American-nation’s schools. On June 25, l962, 39 million students were forbidden to do what they and their predecessors had been doing since the founding of the American nation – publicly calling upon the name of the Lord at the beginning of each school day.
The New York school children which prompted the Engel vs. Vitale ruling had simply prayed: “Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence on Thee and beg Thy blessing over us, our parents, our teachers and our nation.”
America has experienced radical decline in each of the four areas which the children’s prayer touched upon: youth, family, education, national life. Minor recovery has occurred only since 1980 when the election of President Reagan brought forth a renewed emphasis on “traditional” values.

Indeed.

For kids that are very bright, this is a natural choice. But the U.S. college system application process is not quite as simple as "get good grades and you get in", and the school you choose can make a big difference. Similarly, as I'm sure is the case in many countries - I know it was in my old country - certain schools are known for certain sports and athletes often get scouted there. The high school my daughter will attend - which has an excellent college placement record - is also well known for national league players in one particular major sport, and also for Olympic team members in a particular water sport. This means nothing to us, but it does mean a lot to people whose kids are particularly talented in those sports. (Interestingly the kids have to maintain a certain gpa to remain on the sports teams so they can't ignore schoolwork!) I'm sure Australia and New Zealand have particular schools that are well known for rugby and cricket, for example, pretty much the same thing. But yeah, it's a personal choice and different kids will suit different things and different schools. It's absolutely true unfortunately that for the talented, there is huge pressure, as mom will know and as I saw from my sister's college application process too. So a school that has systems in place to help kids (and their parents!!) deal with this pressure is also something to look for.
All schools in new Zealand teach sports... ALL OF THEM. Nz is a rugby nation! all kids play rugby or some sort of sport during lunch play.

All schools in new Zealand teach sports... ALL OF THEM. Nz is a rugby nation! all kids play rugby or some sort of sport during lunch play.

Yes, I realize they all teach sports :rolleyes: You didn't read properly to get my point. Are there not schools that are particularly "known" for turning out good rugby or cricket players? Or is NZ just too small for that? Most other countries will have a few schools that are "known" for particular sports and being feeders into the national teams.

Good lord, why I am still even engaging you, you haven't won, statistically you probably won't, and even if you do apparently you're too worried about the effect on the moral fabric of society by the lack of bibles in public schools. Whatever, dude. I'm done wasting my time and forum space on you.

Yes, it definitely sounds like you'd be much better off staying in NZ if you win.
Ah I was referring to America here! You have an issue I suggest you see a counsellor .... There is a deep wound in you... and the constant need to put others down or to seek gratification.. I have so many good friends from south Africa and they are not like you. Susie I have noticed a lot of negativity from you...to be honest... you will find yourself very lonely if you continue on this path. I am walking away from this conversation, never to converse with you again. And I know Brit and mom might come to your aid, but I don't care... I will stand for what is right and just. you have no right to say anything negative about Christian education or any other religion for that matter. I feel really sorry that I had to say something like this on a forum which is meant to help people without judgement.

Susie I have noticed a lot of negativity from you...to be honest... you will find yourself very lonely if you continue on this path.

OMG!!! I've been on this forum for a few years now, and in all that time I have never seen SusieQQQ to be any but positive, supportive, humorous and more than friendly to pretty much everyone.

On the other hand Rose, in the short time that I have seen you on this forum, all I've seen is someone self-opinionated, confrontational and argumentative.

All that aside though, perhaps we can put the disagreements aside, and get back to this being a SUPPORTIVE community of people either applying for the DV lottery, or providing supportive information to those that are going through the process?

Ah I was referring to America here! You have an issue I suggest you see a counsellor .... There is a deep wound in you... and the constant need to put others down or to seek gratification.. I have so many good friends from south Africa and they are not like you. Susie I have noticed a lot of negativity from you...to be honest... you will find yourself very lonely if you continue on this path. I am walking away from this conversation, never to converse with you again. And I know Brit and mom might come to your aid, but I don't care... I will stand for what is right and just. you have no right to say anything negative about Christian education or any other religion for that matter. I feel really sorry that I had to say something like this on a forum which is meant to help people without judgement.

Enough of this - please. You are getting yourself worked up over nothing. You are entitled to your opinion, Susie is entitled to hers, but she has put the time in here helping people selflessly whilst you just seem to want an argument. So - as the bible would teach -turn the other cheek. And keep the comments on topic and without personal attacks. Thank you.

Dear @alwaysrose123 @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom I sincerely apologize for my question snowball! But on the other hand I got a really frank and honest discussion of the topic, and value all that has been said. It has really made me wake up and think of things in a different light - I have a lot to learn about the US school system - actually not so much the system but the politics and real-world end-effects of the choices made for our kids in the system. Yes, we absolutely do it for the kids. Thanks once again. And for what it is worth - I really appreciate all your candid personal disclosures. It is not easy with strangers in a public forum, and I want you to know that I treat this with a great deal of respect. Thank you. Martin.

Dear @alwaysrose123 @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom I sincerely apologize for my question snowball! But on the other hand I got a really frank and honest discussion of the topic, and value all that has been said. It has really made me wake up and think of things in a different light - I have a lot to learn about the US school system - actually not so much the system but the politics and real-world end-effects of the choices made for our kids in the system. Yes, we absolutely do it for the kids. Thanks once again. And for what it is worth - I really appreciate all your candid personal disclosures. It is not easy with strangers in a public forum, and I want you to know that I treat this with a great deal of respect. Thank you. Martin.

No Martin, you don't owe me an apology. I narrated my personal experience as a means of showing Susie and Rose that they could agree to disagree - having lived in the U.S. for about 10 years now and having a first hand experience of the educational system, I see both the valid points and the flaws in their personal stand on the issue. Apparently my effort didn't have the intended effect on either party.

And of course I also went personal as a means of benefiting some observing third party. I'm glad to know you where able to pick a thing or two from it.

Really quite easy.
Couldnt get to level 10 until 7:30am. Waited in the lobby. Went to 10 and did security where they took my phone. Then had my documents checked. Then I was ushered to the elevator with two others and taken to level 59. Took a ticket and waited until my number was called. Greeted by a lovely woman who double checked my paper work again and took my fingerprints. Sat and waited again. Paid the cashier. Sat and waited one last time. I got called up for the interview and was asked about 4 questions. What i planned to do in the US. Asked about my line of work. Asked about my education as it was old school NZqualifications. And about my court records. After a minute he said it was approved. 1 hour in total.
Good luck! Thanks again to anyone who answered my questions. I'm sure there will be more!

Really quite easy.
Couldnt get to level 10 until 7:30am. Waited in the lobby. Went to 10 and did security where they took my phone. Then had my documents checked. Then I was ushered to the elevator with two others and taken to level 59. Took a ticket and waited until my number was called. Greeted by a lovely woman who double checked my paper work again and took my fingerprints. Sat and waited again. Paid the cashier. Sat and waited one last time. I got called up for the interview and was asked about 4 questions. What i planned to do in the US. Asked about my line of work. Asked about my education as it was old school NZqualifications. And about my court records. After a minute he said it was approved. 1 hour in total.
Good luck! Thanks again to anyone who answered my questions. I'm sure there will be more!

Congratulations!!!!!