• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

It is probably not offered anymore, but I have a checking account with BoA (I think it is called e-checking or i-checking or something like that) where they do not charge a service fee as long as you do not use branch services. There is no balance requirement, all one needs to do is to use internet banking and ATMs. I've had it for years though.

On the credit card topic - what about charge cards?

Amex, Diners, etc ... any insight into those? Limits / Security? / Transportability from Aus?

Thx in advance.

Just regarding the us postal address, there is a service that can assist with shipping via aus post.

https://shopmate.auspost.com.au

Can anyone see any reason that the green card couldn't be sent through this service?

I am now panicking about getting my cards sent safely to me. Would a hotel concierge accept delivery and forward?

Thanks for your help everyone.

On the credit card topic - what about charge cards?
Amex, Diners, etc ... any insight into those? Limits / Security? / Transportability from Aus?
Thx in advance.

With Amex you can get a charge card or a credit card. We've talked about it here before, but getting an Australian AMEX card then doing an AMEX "global transfer" is a great way of getting established with a credit card in the USA. I've done it myself (but in the other direction getting a Canadian credit card).

I've heard USCIS they don't send greencards to post boxes. I use a similar service "shipito" which works well but for the greencard I'll use someone's house.

Hey guestgulkan

I looked into the address that they use and it seems that you use their physical warehouse address with an identifying number that is individual to your own account. Then they forward your things to australia.

It just seems too easy, but I am very curious about using the service as my usa contact has moved back to australia very suddenly and now I have nowhere to send the cards to :( :(

Hey guestgulkan

I looked into the address that they use and it seems that you use their physical warehouse address with an identifying number that is individual to your own account. Then they forward your things to australia.

It just seems too easy, but I am very curious about using the service as my usa contact has moved back to australia very suddenly and now I have nowhere to send the cards to :( :(

That is not acceptable. Have them sent to a real address.

This has probably been answered before so apologies in advance.

I heard a Canadian Police Certificate can take months so I did it early just incase. I have it now. It doesn't have an expiration date. If my interview is in September will that be ok to use or should I do it again? It was a real pain to get so I'm not anxious to repeat the process.

I heard a Canadian Police Certificate can take months so I did it early just in case. I have it now. It doesn't have an expiration date. If my interview is in September will that be ok to use or should I do it again? It was a real pain to get so I'm not anxious to repeat the process.

The official requirements don't mention anything about validity of the certificate, only:

The applicant must submit police certificates that meet the following guidelines. The police certificate must:
  • Cover the entire period of the applicant's residence in that area.
  • Be issued by the appropriate police authority.
  • Include all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record.

So I guess the only issue may surround the "Cover the entire period of the applicant's residence in that area" part, in that if the certificate is too old, it may be deemed to not cover a sufficiently recent period of residence.

Perhaps Britsimon can advise better, but I'd imagine that less than 6 months wouldn't be an issue, especially if you explain your reasoning at the interview (if the matter is raised).

I heard a Canadian Police Certificate can take months so I did it early just incase. I have it now. It doesn't have an expiration date. If my interview is in September will that be ok to use or should I do it again? It was a real pain to get so I'm not anxious to repeat the process.
Here is what I found, http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CA.html#policerecords-6 I had the same question about the police certificate for my country, however doesn't mention about the expiration date, for example for my country I can do it only is free and is valid per 1 year.

Congratulations to all the winners I am so happy for you guys more for you @EmilyW don't ask me why but you have been so helpful here with everyone and you have an amazing energy.

Just had a few doubts I needed cleared up.
-My wife has completed 6th form in New Zealand which is 12 years of schooling . Will that be Enough on the educational front ( she is the DV winner)
- Her Grades weren't the greatest as she had started working full time by that time. Would that make a difference ?

Just had a few doubts I needed cleared up.
-My wife has completed 6th form in New Zealand which is 12 years of schooling . Will that be Enough on the educational front ( she is the DV winner)
- Her Grades weren't the greatest as she had started working full time by that time. Would that make a difference ?
- Yes it is enough.
- As long as she has the certificate, fine. Has to have completed 12 years of education, I don't believe grades matter as long as she passed.

@Aucklander, check out this link:

http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/dv_lottery.html

To be eligible to enter, the applicant must have completed a minimum of twelve years education including four years of high school which must be the equivalent of a U.S. High School diploma (e.g. completion of 6th Form/year 12 in New Zealand or Australia) or qualify under Grade 7 employment standards as set by the U.S. Department of Labor on theO*Net OnLine database.

If you don't have the original, I think you can get copies from NZQA: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/

TLDR; you're all good. Don't stress.

Here is what I found, http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CA.html#policerecords-6 I had the same question about the police certificate for my country, however doesn't mention about the expiration date, for example for my country I can do it only is free and is valid per 1 year.

Congratulations to all the winners I am so happy for you guys more for you @EmilyW don't ask me why but you have been so helpful here with everyone and you have an amazing energy.

Thanks @Santy23. I very much appreciate this forum and would not have gotten through the process were it not for the advice.