• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

I think it's interesting that not many people are planning to move to the big cities in the US. I'm presuming this is mainly due to lifestyle, rather than career opportunities?
For us it is all about lifestyle but that lifestyle is fast paced, crammed living in NYC. In our industry it's the hotbed of innovation and creative thinkers so going to give it a crack and learn as much as I can.

I'm hoping for at least 800. That would make me NOT have Kanye face.

giphy.gif

I think it's interesting that not many people are planning to move to the big cities in the US. I'm presuming this is mainly due to lifestyle, rather than career opportunities?

I currently work in TV/film so I think it's pretty much LA for me unfortunately. San Francisco and New York would be great but the job opportunities aren't as plentiful.

Where we move to is about lifestyle for us too. Living in a rural town now, moving to a big City is no very appealing. We are aiming for a small town with commuting distance to Denver.

Thanks Blondie for the checklists, thanks Emily for adding them to the spreadsheet.

Well, I’m back from my interview and thought I’d write you all a story ‘cause I so enjoy reading everyone else’s interview experiences. Note that my interview was in Auckland so process will differ slightly for the Aussies.

I arrived at the Auckland consulate when it opened at 7:45am for my scheduled 8:20am interview. After handing over my phone and keys at security I was asked to go to the immigrant visa window and press the buzzer. The lady whom I had given my documents to a couple of weeks before came to greet me and we had a lovely chat. She basically explained the whole process to me about what happens AFTER I received my visa. She would say things like: “so when your visa is approved, you’ll get sent a packet which you need to take to the States” etc etc. So it left me thinking that this was the actual interview and I was pretty much already approved. It turned out she wasn’t the CO as I initially thought, she essentially handled the admin/data entry side of things. But it was a great chat nonetheless. I work for PepsiCo and she told me how she LOVES Pepsi Max and drinks it every day (like a true American you could say). But then I said something like “you should’ve told me before, I could’ve sorted something out for you”. To which she replied “oh no, don’t say that. It may be construed as bribery”. That made me panic a little but she still had a smile on her face so I knew it was nothing.

I then had my fingerprints taken on both hands and was instructed to pay my fee of NZ$396 at the cashier window. After paying I was told to wait until I was called up for my interview. It seems that non-immigrant visas have priority over immigrant visas so I watched as a whole lot of people went up to explain their holiday plans, school exchanges and Disney internships to the COs at the interview window. I also kept running possible interview questions through my head and answering them to myself to ensure I was prepared for anything. After roughly 30 minutes I was called to window 2 and greeted by a very friendly man who asked me to scan my fingerprints to confirm my identity. He then asked me to raise my hand and state an oath, something along the lines of “I have not lied on my application and am not trying defraud the government” or words to that effect. But then came the questions, which was the biggest surprise. Brace yourself, are you ready? After swearing the oath, he says “All your documents check out, no issues with your police check and medical. You’ve done a Masters degree which is much more than what’s required. Your visa has been approved. Congratulations.” So yeah, in case you missed it, there were NO questions! At that point I just smiled and simply replied “Awesome”. I couldn’t believe it was over. He then returned my original documents and explained that I will be sent a package in the post. I was out of the consulate just after 9am, done and dusted in less than an hour! I rang/messaged up a few friends and fam and celebrated by buying a 25th anniversary salted caramel Magnum ice cream, because I see the billboard everyday coming home from work and thought now’s the time haha.

And that’s it! I can see now why no visas were denied last year in Auckland. There’s a lot to be said about how lax the Auckland consulate is, but hey, I’m not complaining. WOOOO! So happy! Thanks to you all for the constant support and advice. I love this family!

Well, I’m back from my interview and thought I’d write you all a story ‘cause I so enjoy reading everyone else’s interview experiences. Note that my interview was in Auckland so process will differ slightly for the Aussies.

I arrived at the Auckland consulate when it opened at 7:45am for my scheduled 8:20am interview. After handing over my phone and keys at security I was asked to go to the immigrant visa window and press the buzzer. The lady whom I had given my documents to a couple of weeks before came to greet me and we had a lovely chat. She basically explained the whole process to me about what happens AFTER I received my visa. She would say things like: “so when your visa is approved, you’ll get sent a packet which you need to take to the States” etc etc. So it left me thinking that this was the actual interview and I was pretty much already approved. It turned out she wasn’t the CO as I initially thought, she essentially handled the admin/data entry side of things. But it was a great chat nonetheless. I work for PepsiCo and she told me how she LOVES Pepsi Max and drinks it every day (like a true American you could say). But then I said something like “you should’ve told me before, I could’ve sorted something out for you”. To which she replied “oh no, don’t say that. It may be construed as bribery”. That made me panic a little but she still had a smile on her face so I knew it was nothing.

I then had my fingerprints taken on both hands and was instructed to pay my fee of NZ$396 at the cashier window. After paying I was told to wait until I was called up for my interview. It seems that non-immigrant visas have priority over immigrant visas so I watched as a whole lot of people went up to explain their holiday plans, school exchanges and Disney internships to the COs at the interview window. I also kept running possible interview questions through my head and answering them to myself to ensure I was prepared for anything. After roughly 30 minutes I was called to window 2 and greeted by a very friendly man who asked me to scan my fingerprints to confirm my identity. He then asked me to raise my hand and state an oath, something along the lines of “I have not lied on my application and am not trying defraud the government” or words to that effect. But then came the questions, which was the biggest surprise. Brace yourself, are you ready? After swearing the oath, he says “All your documents check out, no issues with your police check and medical. You’ve done a Masters degree which is much more than what’s required. Your visa has been approved. Congratulations.” So yeah, in case you missed it, there were NO questions! At that point I just smiled and simply replied “Awesome”. I couldn’t believe it was over. He then returned my original documents and explained that I will be sent a package in the post. I was out of the consulate just after 9am, done and dusted in less than an hour! I rang/messaged up a few friends and fam and celebrated by buying a 25th anniversary salted caramel Magnum ice cream, because I see the billboard everyday coming home from work and thought now’s the time haha.

And that’s it! I can see now why no visas were denied last year in Auckland. There’s a lot to be said about how lax the Auckland consulate is, but hey, I’m not complaining. WOOOO! So happy! Thanks to you all for the constant support and advice. I love this family!

Hahaha - so I have seen accounts of short interview with few questions - but no questions must be a record. I can see many Ghanaians moving to NZ next year.

Congrats Kiwione! Glad it was such a smooth experience for you. And thanks for giving us an update so quickly!

Now you're approved, what are your plans for the big move?

Congrats Kiwione! Your interview experience was exactly the same as ours, no questions and the CO first words to us were "so, are you excited!" :)

Also, on a completely different topic...how many of us OCers are moving to the US then finding job once you get there? Is anyone attempting to find one first? I feel like I shouldn't spend too much time on it til I get there but would also like to hit the ground running. Would LOVE to just go there and be a lady of leisure, but alas, I have to work :p

I'm going to try and get a job first in two ways:
A) see if my current employer will let me transfer
B) see if my old employer in Denver want me back

Congrats Kiwione! Glad it was such a smooth experience for you. And thanks for giving us an update so quickly!

Now you're approved, what are your plans for the big move?

Hoping to be able to sort out a transfer through work. Pepsico HQ is in NY so most likely be based there if that works out. If I can't sort that out in time though I think I may go to Chicago. That city appeals to me for some reason.

Hoping to be able to sort out a transfer through work. Pepsico HQ is in NY so most likely be based there if that works out. If I can't sort that out in time though I think I may go to Chicago. That city appeals to me for some reason.

Chicago has a good bar scene and nightlife but it's cold, depressing and windy. There's "fun cold": Denver/Salt Lake City) and there's miserable cold: Chicago/ entire nation of Canada.

For us it is all about lifestyle but that lifestyle is fast paced, crammed living in NYC. In our industry it's the hotbed of innovation and creative thinkers so going to give it a crack and learn as much as I can.

For us, it's about lifestyle, music &art scene & weather , and the fact that we have friends in LA already,so it makes the move less daunting. I want to live in NYC at some point too, but maybe not straight away! I think my husband will find work mostly anywhere, not sure about myself!
What industry are you in CBDK?

ok, all updated now.
Not that it matters too much but you have my interview down as 19 Jan..its 13 Jan :) (just made me double check it myself haha!)

We have also pre-empted our approval and booked our one way ticket to LA for 10 Feb!! ;) (had to get in early, to get a reward points seat !)