• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Guys something went wrong with my sponsor and I need to find a new one is there anyway that I can find ??

I have no trick to find a replacement sponsor. However if I were you and if I was ready to take the risk to pay the AOS fees even if my case may be filed too late to be processed on time I would send my package tomorrow even without a sponsor. If you wait one more week for example it will probably mean game over for you even with a "perfect" package. The other members of the forum will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think a lack of financial support proof in your package will lead to a denial of your case without prior interview. In other words you can send your package now and get 3 or 4 additional weeks to gather financial support proof (including finding a sponsor) that you will bring at the interview.
If you have enough savings you may be able to convince the immigration officer even without sponsor. If not maybe your family or friends can lend you money ? The money would have been on your account for only one month at the date of the interview in such a case so it would be far from being perfect but probably better than nothing.

I have no trick to find a replacement sponsor. However if I were you and if I was ready to take the risk to pay the AOS fees even if my case may be filed too late to be processed on time I would send my package tomorrow even without a sponsor. If you wait one more week for example it will probably mean game over for you even with a "perfect" package. The other members of the forum will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think a lack of financial support proof in your package will lead to a denial of your case without prior interview. In other words you can send your package now and get 3 or 4 additional weeks to gather financial support proof (including finding a sponsor) that you will bring at the interview.
If you have enough savings you may be able to convince the immigration officer even without sponsor. If not maybe your family or friends can lend you money ? The money would have been on your account for only one month at the date of the interview in such a case so it would be far from being perfect but probably better than nothing.
Thank you Karim ,
If that's the case I'm gonna send them now and later the sponsor or at the interview

hello everyone, I finally got the interview letter and it will be on 9/4/2015. In the letter they have asked to bring an affidavit of support, form I-864. I am on F1 visa and currently working as a research assistant in the university. Do I still need to find a sponsor?
My wife and I got separate times for the interviews: I have at 8.45am and her appointment at 9.30am. Will we be able to interview together? Thanks for all the help.

hello everyone, I finally got the interview letter and it will be on 9/4/2015. In the letter they have asked to bring an affidavit of support, form I-864. I am on F1 visa and currently working as a research assistant in the university. Do I still need to find a sponsor?
My wife and I got separate times for the interviews: I have at 8.45am and her appointment at 9.30am. Will we be able to interview together? Thanks for all the help.
Hey there so since I have F1 visa too I have a question for you did you submit any sponsor forms W2 etc... with your package or not ?

If I can't find sponsor should I send my bank account ? There's a few thousands in it

Yes, include your personal financial records regardless of whether a sponsor is being used or not, and send the package. The affidavit of support can be presented at the time of interview.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, I've always said those on student visa should be prepared to present an affidavit of support, they often request for this.

So do whatever you can to get an I-134, (I-864) is not applicable to DV cases - take a look at the AOS spreadsheet for links to documents indicating an I-864 is not applicable and you should take those documents along also just in case the IO insist it should be an I-864.

However, if your income as a research assistant is above the required minimum poverty guideline level applicable to 2 people, then you might be exempt from presenting the affidavit, but still do whatever you can to get it as a back up document.

Regarding the different interview times, you will be interviewed together even if they initially call you in one by one which is rare for DV cases.

It shouldn't come as a surprise, I've always said those on student visa should be prepared to present an affidavit of support, they often request for this.

So do whatever you can to get an I-134, (I-864) is not applicable to DV cases - take a look at the AOS spreadsheet for links to documents indicating an I-864 is not applicable and you should take those documents along also just in case the IO insist it should be an I-864.

However, if your income as a research assistant is above the required minimum poverty guideline level applicable to 2 people, then you might be exempt from presenting the affidavit, but still do whatever you can to get it as a back up document.

Regarding the different interview times, you will be interviewed together even if they initially call you in one by one which is rare for DV cases.
Mom what about OPT status? Do we still need to find affidavit of support? (I m employed as a postdoc and get $43k and my husband is also on OPT status but still looking for a job)

And another potential problem people might face in next year is the recent ruling against STEM/OPT extention. Now I am on STEM/OPT extension and my CN is AS45XX. And it looks like I might have to send my application in somewhere around Jan/Feb. If the DHS couldnt do any thing before I send my application do you think its a good idea to file I765.

Mom what about OPT status? Do we still need to find affidavit of support? (I m employed as a postdoc and get $43k and my husband is also on OPT status but still looking for a job)

Having an I-134 on hand as a back up document when going for the interview isn't a bad idea, you present it when/if asked.

And another potential problem people might face in next year is the recent ruling against STEM/OPT extention. Now I am on STEM/OPT extension and my CN is AS45XX. And it looks like I might have to send my application in somewhere around Jan/Feb. If the DHS couldnt do any thing before I send my application do you think its a good idea to file I765.

If you're unable to apply for OPT/STEM extension, it makes sense to include an I-765 form.

Hi team,
Long time lurker here - I have been consulting this forum for months reading other people's experiences and everything was going swimmingly for me until now and I would love your guidance!

I am an Oceania winner currently living in New York and went current in May. Per the google spreadsheet (love that thing) I shipped my package to Chicago Lockbox, got my NOA in mid June and attended my scheduled biometrics appointment on July 13th, and since then - radio silence. Having learned from you guys that the dreaded NYC FO usually takes a couple of months for appointments, I called USCIS 2 weeks ago to check what was happening and spoke to an agent who I fear knew zilch about DV AOS... She advised that my application was currently with the NBC and awaiting adjudication there before my application would be sent to NY FO. This didn't gel with my understanding of what the NBC's role was, and I really didn't appreciate her suggesting that the NBC probably hadn't sent my application to NY FO because I was not approved - she said if I hadn't heard from the NBC by mid-September then it meant I wasn't approved??? When I asked how I could possibly be declined before my interview, she pretty much said not to assume that I would even get to the interview stage (I am 100% sure I am a qualified applicant!)

To cut to the chase, I called KCC today who said USCIS hadn't requested my file yet and then called USCIS who said they would get back to me within 5 days. Not sure if this complicates matters but my USCIS service request was routed to the Queens FO which I saw online is closed -- awesome.

Wise counsel, please tell me what I should do! Each department I speaks to seems to say they are waiting for action from someone else. I have an INFOPASS appointment at NY FO on Thursday but I am not that confident it will be successful, and when I asked USCIS how I can contact NY FO they said there is no direct number. Given that we are coming down to the wire, as you guys know, time is of the essence and I just don't know how I can get them moving. Is it time for the congress person?

Many many thanks for your help.

Hi team,
Long time lurker here - I have been consulting this forum for months reading other people's experiences and everything was going swimmingly for me until now and I would love your guidance!

I am an Oceania winner currently living in New York and went current in May. Per the google spreadsheet (love that thing) I shipped my package to Chicago Lockbox, got my NOA in mid June and attended my scheduled biometrics appointment on July 13th, and since then - radio silence. Having learned from you guys that the dreaded NYC FO usually takes a couple of months for appointments, I called USCIS 2 weeks ago to check what was happening and spoke to an agent who I fear knew zilch about DV AOS... She advised that my application was currently with the NBC and awaiting adjudication there before my application would be sent to NY FO. This didn't gel with my understanding of what the NBC's role was, and I really didn't appreciate her suggesting that the NBC probably hadn't sent my application to NY FO because I was not approved - she said if I hadn't heard from the NBC by mid-September then it meant I wasn't approved??? When I asked how I could possibly be declined before my interview, she pretty much said not to assume that I would even get to the interview stage (I am 100% sure I am a qualified applicant!)

To cut to the chase, I called KCC today who said USCIS hadn't requested my file yet and then called USCIS who said they would get back to me within 5 days. Not sure if this complicates matters but my USCIS service request was routed to the Queens FO which I saw online is closed -- awesome.

Wise counsel, please tell me what I should do! Each department I speaks to seems to say they are waiting for action from someone else. I have an INFOPASS appointment at NY FO on Thursday but I am not that confident it will be successful, and when I asked USCIS how I can contact NY FO they said there is no direct number. Given that we are coming down to the wire, as you guys know, time is of the essence and I just don't know how I can get them moving. Is it time for the congress person?

Many many thanks for your help.

Attend the INFOPASS and hear what they have to say first.

It seems from most experiences posted here they usually do, but for those of you that have separate interview times for you and your spouse, be prepared for a separate interview.
This happened to me, and when I was called I even explained that we were together but the IO interviewed us separately anyway. I expected it and had extra copies of all essential documents in a separate package for my spouse.
Then again, it seems my FO does a lot of things differently..