• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello,

After reading the misfortune of Tika2015 I am considering whether or not I should highlight the early filling of my AOS during the interview. It will be held on thursday at NY FO too. With the memo and even a screenshot of the USCIS diversity visa webpage where it clearly states that the application can be filled 6 to 7 weeks before a visa is available I guess the IO would be convinced even if he was not previously aware of it.
Hi @Sm1smom -

I had asked you a question about traveling a few weeks ago and never thanked you for your kind response.
I have a way bigger issue now - two days after my interview, I received a denial letter on the grounds that I filed too early. It is not true, I filed on February 17 because my number was current in April - so I guess the officer (once again) was not aware of the Policy Memo. I read a case from last year on this forum and the same thing apparently happened to @jj777. I am lucky enough to be able to use the legal ressources from my office and they're about to file a motion to reopen/reconsider for me (please keep your fingers crossed that it will be solved by September 30!!!)

I do want to have your opinion on something else they advised me to do: starting from scratch and refiling everything again (in parallel with the motion).
My questions are: have you ever come across an example where someone filed late August and got everything completed by Sept 30? (I checked the timelines but I didn't see anything).
I also wonder if I have to re-pay the AOS fee to the DOS again and wait to get the receipt back (which could take weeks) or if I can use the receipt I got initially?
If I do have to pay for the fee again and wait for the receipt, I feel like it's almost not worth it because it would probably mean that I would file early September...
I would welcome any suggestions/advice and would love to hear if anyone else had the same issue before. It is so unfair, so I'm going to fight until the end!

Hello,

I am considering whether or not I should highlight the early filling of my AOS during the interview. It will be held on thursday at NY FO too. With the memo and even a screenshot of the USCIS diversity visa webpage where it clearly states that the application can be filled 6 to 7 weeks before a visa is available I guess the IO would be convinced even if he was not previously aware of it. What do you think ?
Tika any update on your situation ?
thank you all

Guys besides from my sponsor I also worked with f1 visa and I have a ssn should show my W2 as well ?
Would it be correct to assume that your work, whilst under F-1, was with the college/university that issued your I-20 or was otherwise covered under specific USCIS work authorization?

Guys,

I received my welcome letter on Aug 07 but green card has not been received yet. My online status says I will receive green card by October 4. Once the case has been approved, there is nothing to be worried even though I do not receive green card by the end of this year. right? I think so but want to make sure with you guys. Finally, thank you everyone in this forum for your help and suggestions especially Sm1smom and Britsimon. This forum really helped for every steps in the application process. I could imagine how hard it would be to prepare applications if this fourm was not here.

Jawan14

Hello,

I am considering whether or not I should highlight the early filling of my AOS during the interview. It will be held on thursday at NY FO too. With the memo and even a screenshot of the USCIS diversity visa webpage where it clearly states that the application can be filled 6 to 7 weeks before a visa is available I guess the IO would be convinced even if he was not previously aware of it. What do you think ?
Tika any update on your situation ?
thank you all

Definitely not a bad idea. Be very diplomatic when you do tackle the issue of early filing, and I would suggest to only bring it up towards the end of the interview when the IO is done with all that he/she needs to do.

Guys,

I received my welcome letter on Aug 07 but green card has not been received yet. My online status says I will receive green card by October 4. Once the case has been approved, there is nothing to be worried even though I do not receive green card by the end of this year. right? I think so but want to make sure with you guys. Finally, thank you everyone in this forum for your help and suggestions especially Sm1smom and Britsimon. This forum really helped for every steps in the application process. I could imagine how hard it would be to prepare applications if this fourm was not here.

Jawan14

The card will most likely show up by he end of this week. Of course you should be concerned if you don't receive the card by the end of the year, it would mean something has gone wrong.

The card will most likely show up by he end of this week. Of course you should be concerned if you don't receive the card by the end of the year, it would mean something has gone wrong.
I think he means if he doesn't receive it by the end of the fiscal year. Receiving it on Oct. 4 (the current estimate in the online status) should be okay - the permanent residence status is registered before the welcome notice is issued (judging by the wording in a welcome notice that was posted earlier) and that's all that matters, even if you don't get your actual physical card before the Sept. 30 cutoff, right?

I think he means if he doesn't receive it by the end of the fiscal year. Receiving it on Oct. 4 (the current estimate in the online status) should be okay - the permanent residence status is registered before the welcome notice is issued (judging by the wording in a welcome notice that was posted earlier) and that's all that matters, even if you don't get your actual physical card before the Sept. 30 cutoff, right?

It occurred to me the OP could have meant the end of the FY, I however opted to assume the OP actually meant the end of the year 2015 itself. Receive the Welcome Letter isn't a guaranteed evidence of being approved. Nothing is guaranteed until the actual GC itself has been issued and received. There have been reports of where the WL got issued and the GC never showed, only for the letter to be rescinded for whatever reason. In fairness though, new WL got issued later on followed by the GC (and these were not DV based AOS cases also). Yes, receiving the GC itself after the end of the applicable FY is not an issue, however people need to know that it's not over until the actual GC is received.

hello everyone,

I just had my interview on Aug 12 , at the end of the interview the officer said that nothing is for sure as if he himself does not know. He said we are waiting for actual visas to get to us and that might take some time! In other words he did not either say or no to Us. when I told him how long does it take to know if our case has progressed or there is something wrong with it again he said he does not know. Still whenever I check my case receipt number the only thing that shows up is "we received your case on xx date and national center is working on it" there is absolutely no rapid sequence of changes . I am worried b/c after interview we have no idea what is going to happen to us...

@bpd did your IO say visas specifically, or was he talking about your case file being sent from KCC?

I sat my interview in late July and while my IO said he was ready to approve my case, he told me that he couldn't do anything until KCC sends them my case file and "hopefully visas don't run out by then".

I was finally approved this week (3-4 weeks after my interview), as KCC took six weeks to send my case file to my FO - I only received my welcome letter today. If you read this thread, you'll see that many others have had similar experiences or are still waiting even after their interview.

IMO you should give KCC a call and ask them if your FO has requested your case and if it's been sent yet to check if it is this issue (which you can do nothing about but wait), or something else.

hello everyone,

I just had my interview on Aug 12 , at the end of the interview the officer said that nothing is for sure as if he himself does not know. He said we are waiting for actual visas to get to us and that might take some time! In other words he did not either say or no to Us. when I told him how long does it take to know if our case has progressed or there is something wrong with it again he said he does not know. Still whenever I check my case receipt number the only thing that shows up is "we received your case on xx date and national center is working on it" there is absolutely no rapid sequence of changes . I am worried b/c after interview we have no idea what is going to happen to us...

No where on the spreadsheet does it say everyone immediately experiences rapid sequence of changes following their interview. There will be absolutely no status change when a case hasn't been approved. So you've not experienced any change in status because your IO is yet to approve your case! Based on the narration you've given it sounds like your IO needed to have his decision reviewed by a supervisor hence the none committal as to whether you will be approved or not.

Hi Mom, Britsimon and all ,
For Egypt there are 4,988 selectees snd the 7% is 3,500, I'm not very sure in numbers but as you understand they sent out the IL for September, do you think they sent all the qouta or still some visas here for AOS?
Or what after the uscis requested the file from Kcc and didn't send it yet? Is there any comment?
Thanks

Hi Mom, Britsimon and all ,
For Egypt there are 4,988 selectees snd the 7% is 3,500, I'm not very sure in numbers but as you understand they sent out the IL for September, do you think they sent all the qouta or still some visas here for AOS?
Or what after the uscis requested the file from Kcc and didn't send it yet? Is there any comment?
Thanks

Not all selectees will respond, not all will be approved. We don't know how AoS cases will be handled as the limits near.

If KCC don't send your file, it is unlikely you will be approved without that.

Guys something went wrong with my sponsor and I need to find a new one is there anyway that I can find ??

It occurred to me the OP could have meant the end of the FY, I however opted to assume the OP actually meant the end of the year 2015 itself. Receive the Welcome Letter isn't a guaranteed evidence of being approved. Nothing is guaranteed until the actual GC itself has been issued and received. There have been reports of where the WL got issued and the GC never showed, only for the letter to be rescinded for whatever reason. In fairness though, new WL got issued later on followed by the GC (and these were not DV based AOS cases also). Yes, receiving the GC itself after the end of the applicable FY is not an issue, however people need to know that it's not over until the actual GC is received.
Thank you Sm1smom for detailed response. That's good enough for now. Hope I do not have to wait for that long. Is there anything I can do if I donot receive greencard by the end of this week.

Jawan