• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Hello friends! Here is an update of my situation (post #101 from May 27, I'm also in the spreadsheet):

After a couple of Infopass appointments and contacting my Congresswoman in Miami, finally I found the reason of my delay. I've been current since Oct 2013 and introduced the documents on Dec 2013.

According to the email received by the Congressional Aide:

"In response to your inquiry, the record shows that your constituents’ I-485 application is pending security background clearance, once the service receives this response your constituent will be issued a notice either to come in for an interview or a final decision on case. Unfortunately I cannot provide any additional information regarding this case at this time. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is committed to adjudicating immigration benefits in a timely, efficient manner that ensures public safety and national security. "

Furthermore,

"We have checked into your constituent’s case and have been assured that the agency is aware of your inquiry, and is monitoring progress related to it. However, unresolved issues in your constituent’s case require thorough review before a decision can be rendered. Unfortunately, we cannot speculate as to when this review process will be completed."

Summarizing, it seems that the delay is due to the background check itself. According to the last paragraph I believe they understood that I am under a serious deadline (Sept 2014).

The team from Congressional Aide told me to wait until mid August to contact them again so they can write one more time to USCIS.

It is worth noting that the officers during the Infopass were kind, but never gave me the exact reason of the problem. They just promised to call me back and never did so far. It was only through my Congresswoman's team that I could find out the reason.

Does anyone else has got a similar problem? How could I expedite the background check process?

Kind regards!

Hello friends! Here is an update of my situation (post #101 from May 27, I'm also in the spreadsheet):

After a couple of Infopass appointments and contacting my Congresswoman in Miami, finally I found the reason of my delay. I've been current since Oct 2013 and introduced the documents on Dec 2013.

"In response to your inquiry, the record shows that your constituents’ I-485 application is pending security background clearance, once the service receives this response your constituent will be issued a notice either to come in for an interview or a final decision on case. Unfortunately I cannot provide any additional information regarding this case at this time. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is committed to adjudicating immigration benefits in a timely, efficient manner that ensures public safety and national security. "

Furthermore,

"We have checked into your constituent’s case and have been assured that the agency is aware of your inquiry, and is monitoring progress related to it. However, unresolved issues in your constituent’s case require thorough review before a decision can be rendered. Unfortunately, we cannot speculate as to when this review process will be completed."

Summarizing, it seems that the delay is due to the background check itself. According to the last paragraph I believe they understood that I am under a serious deadline (Sept 2014).

The team from Congressional Aide told me to wait until mid August to contact them again so they can write one more time to USCIS.

It is worth noting that the officers during the Infopass were kind, but never gave me the exact reason of the problem. They just promised to call me back and never did so far. It was only through my Congresswoman's team that I could find out the reason.

Does anyone else has got a similar problem? How could I expedite the background check process?

Kind regards!

I just found the answer in post #605 from Britsimon.... I'll see what I can do with that. If there is any other tip I would appreciate it!

Finally, I received the Interview letter today. I think using the INFOPASS really helps. The first time the guy was no clue about the case and asked me to wait, but the second time the lady really looked into my case and gave me a timeframe. The following week I got the IL. So I suggest requesting two or more INFOPASS until you get the right person to help you. Also use the USCIS 1800 numer to ask if your case is in the Field Office, but that is about it, they cannot do anything else. Good luck!

Furthermore,

Kind regards!

I'm sorry your case still hasn't been resolved. The good news is you have an explanation for the delay, it's really not like the Miami FO is simply not processing your case or not aware of its time sensitive nature. The bad news though is that when the delay is due to background check, I'm afraid there's nothing anyone can do that I know of. Not even the congress man/woman's office can do much in that area. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping it all get's resolved before the end of the FY and you get your GC.

I just found the answer in post #605 from Britsimon.... I'll see what I can do with that. If there is any other tip I would appreciate it!

The expedite process done for Simon is basically for bringing a case to the applicable FO's attention. The FBI is responsible for background checks and the FO or USCIS in general have no control over how long additional checks may take. USCIS simply collects biometric and forward it to the FBI. I don't think that expedite process will yield any result in your case, but you may still give it a shot.

Security check is a sticky issue, and since nobody wants to stick their neck out when it comes to that, innocent people sometimes get stuck in it and they often have no choice but to wait for the process to run its full course.

The expedite process done for Simon is basically for bringing a case to the applicable FO's attention. The FBI is responsible for background checks and the FO or USCIS in general have no control over how long additional checks may take. I don't think that expedite process will yield any result in your case, but you may still give it a shot.

Security check is a sticky issue, and since nobody wants to stick their neck out when it comes to that, innocent people sometimes get stuck in it and they often have no choice but to wait for the process to run its full course.

The link in that post was actually about FBI name checks so it might help.

Ma bad! I hadn't checked the link, my reference to your expedite request was based on the phone call your had with the USCIS rep.
Thanks Mom and Britsimon! With that document I guess I can raise another flag with USCIS and with my congresswoman. The "sunset provision" of the DV Lottery is a strong argument to get a response soon. Definitely I had bad luck with that step but considering I have been in the US for 2 years with H1B I'm sure everything will be fine hopefully.

I would like to thank all of you one more time. Thanks to all these posts I have been able to be one step ahead of my (useless) lawyer consistently. I'll keep you all posted!

Sm1smom,
I have a quick question for you,
Now my situation is that as per your suggestions (and I believe that it was a very positive during the interview) , as an F1 visa holder I only fill form I-485. Hence, I do not have SSN, or anything related with the work authorization. Now, I am little bit confused, which form should I fill, or can you give me a link that explains how to get SSN for this specific conditions?
Since, almost everybody is applying for EAD with I-485, I could not find any explanation about it, also I do not want to lose time. Thank you.

Sm1smom,
I have a quick question for you,
Now my situation is that as per your suggestions (and I believe that it was a very positive during the interview) , as an F1 visa holder I only fill form I-485. Hence, I do not have SSN, or anything related with the work authorization. Now, I am little bit confused, which form should I fill, or can you give me a link that explains how to get SSN for this specific conditions?
Since, almost everybody is applying for EAD with I-485, I could not find any explanation about it, also I do not want to lose time. Thank you.

An EAD card does not automatically activate a SSN. In order to get a SSN, you will need to approach the SSA administrative office with either an approved EAD card or your GC when it gets issued and apply for the SSN.

With a GC, you don't need an EAD card to work. Applying for a SSN with an EAD card results in a restricted SS card being issued, and you will most likely go back to the SSA office to request for a replacement SS card once your GC itself gets issued. The EAD card is useless once a GC is issued.

An EAD card does not automatically activate a SSN. In order to get a SSN, you will need to approach the SSA administrative office with either an approved EAD card or your GC when it gets issued and apply for the SSN.

With a GC, you don't need an EAD card to work. Applying for a SSN with an EAD card results in a restricted SS card being issued, and you will most likely go back to the SSA office to request for a replacement SS card once your GC itself gets issued. The EAD card is useless once a GC is issued.
Thank you for immediate respons.
Then, after I get my phyiscal GC, i am going to go to the SS office, and will apply for SS card, thats the proccess right? And I do not need EAD card, or something else, only thing that I need to get SS card is physical GC.
Another question is, once I get my SS card, I can work wherever I want, and I do not need any other thing, right?
Thank you

Ma bad! I hadn't checked the link, my reference to your expedite request was based on the phone call your had with the USCIS rep.

Yeah I posted the link knowing it wasn't quite right for me, but in this case is useful, hopefully.

Then, after I get my phyiscal GC, i am going to go to the SS office, and will apply for SS card, thats the proccess right? And I do not need EAD card, or something else, only thing that I need to get SS card is physical GC.
Another question is, once I get my SS card, I can work wherever I want, and I do not need any other thing, right?
Thank you

You don't need to wait for the GC to get the ssn. In fact don't wait, you w I'll need the ssn asap.

Thank you

Yep, once you get your GC visit the nearest SSA office and use it to apply for your SSN. And yes, you can work anywhere in the country and for any employer once you have your GC and SSN.

You don't need to wait for the GC to get the ssn. In fact don't wait, you w I'll need the ssn asap.

He hasn't been approved yet, so he needs to wait. Also upon approval, AOS applicants still need to wait for the physical GC; they may not wait if they get the I-551 stamp on their passport upon approval, but most FOs don't bother to stamp the passport anymore following the interview. Of course one could request for the passport to be stamped if the IO says he's approving the case on the spot.

Thanks Mom and Britsimon! With that document I guess I can raise another flag with USCIS and with my congresswoman. The "sunset provision" of the DV Lottery is a strong argument to get a response soon. Definitely I had bad luck with that step but considering I have been in the US for 2 years with H1B I'm sure everything will be fine hopefully.

I would like to thank all of you one more time. Thanks to all these posts I have been able to be one step ahead of my (useless) lawyer consistently. I'll keep you all posted!

Raise it with uscis first. Then give them time to respond (10 -14 days) to respond. Only then go back to your congressperson (unless uscis refuse the request). Basically get action without burning bridges by being a pest.

Hi:

I am still waiting for my interview letter. I make an infopass next week.
How can I say to them is better?
I already done my biometrics on 6/11...

Thank you!

Leah Leah,

I do really appreciate your comments!

Ironically, I have all my original I-20s but the first one :(. I am definitely getting a copy from school with 'true to original' stamp. Hope it works out.

Let me ask you about your passport: did you have your original OLD passport (with the F1 visa on it) with you during the interview? (the country where I am from never lets us keep our old passports)

Am I screwed ... ?

I don't think you are screwed.
I think your school keeps copies of I-20's, passport and visa page. Ask them what do they have on file.

Yes, I had my old passport (they let me to keep it). Anyway, I made a copy of main page and all pages with stamps and visas before I renewed it.
Also I remember I was told to bring passport with visa, I-94 and I-20 when I came to school for the first time so that they have copies on my file.