• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

It has been a long time coming, but I have just gotten out of my interview (couldn't wait to get home, so I'm writing to you from nearby cafe) and here's my experience:

My appointment was at 11AM, so I got there at 10:15AM to make sure that I don't get stuck through a security line that another user from this forum suggested might get quite long. And long it did get, so I was glad that I got there a little early. The line moved pretty fast, roughly took 7-10 minutes, so for all of you anxious people in Boston, suggest you get there 45 minutes earlier. Then I went to the designated room for immigration interviews that was teeming with people. There was a lady sitting at the front desk, who I handed an appointment notice. After double-checking for the appointment, she said that there were none (my heart sank and I almost fainted), but she quickly realized what she was doing wrong and confirmed my 11AM appointment (what a relief!). As I was sitting there, all I could think of is how busy the room was and you could feel slight intensity in the room. At 11:20AM a man came out and called my name. I greeted the man, he tried to make a small talk and I relaxed a bit. We proceeded to a cubicle, rather than an office, so that made me feel a little more comfortable and relieved (no, I'm not claustrophobic).

Actual interview:

Took an oath before sitting down.
IO: I will need your passport, I-94 card and stated ID, if you have it
Me: Here you go, gave him all the documents (I put everything I had, EAD card, birth certificate).
IO: Please, just give me only the documents that I asked you of.
Me: Got it, sorry
IO *checking the documents*: I do not see your medical report
Me: Oh, I have included it in the AOS package, but I also have the copy of the submitted report
IO: Takes my copy of the medical report, re-checks a pile of documents in front of him and hands back my copy, as he has found the original.
~~~~
To make the story shorter: The IO then asked me about the gap in my I-20s and it was natural, because of the OPT period. Then about the previous kinds of visas issued to me and I had a mix of B-2 and F-1s. Asked about my last point of entry and I answered. Asked me to confirm my last date of entry and I answered. Asked couple of times of whether I have left the US and I answered. Then very carefully went through I-485, but I was not asked the question about the Nazi involvement that I was looking forward to, as that question makes me chuckle a little, since my grandmother was like 8 years old. Then, went through the rest of the forms, just as carefully. The interesting thing is that IO did not look at my I-134 at all, not even a single question, but then again, I had a good amount in my bank account and my sponsor wrote a letter detailing how he would sponsor me completely throughout my stay in the US (my best friend from college, a US citizen). The IO didn't even check my high school diploma, but did check my college degree. After going over everything, the IO was typing away in a computer and I was observing his facial expression, but it was dead neutral, so was hard to tell. He then turned around, asked me again if I have ever left the US to which I said a firm "No", and he said the phrase I will never forget "I have approved your case, so your Green Card should be in the mail in about 15 days, but sometimes it comes in sooner, but don't expect it within 5 days, though. Any questions?" I had none and I cheerfully got up, shook his hand and we proceeded to the exit. He congratulated me and wished me good luck, to which I replied THANK YOU!!! I left the building and found the nearest trusted cafe with wifi (Starbucks) :D

My suggestions to people who are about to interview: Reply with firm Yes or No, don't answer with yeah, nah, nope, nada, zip. Wait for the interviewer to finish reading the question, if you don't, then it's just rude and will annoy the person, so just wait til the person is done. Review all of your forms several times to be confident in your answers. Smile and don't fidget too much :D Good luck!

Wanted to thank SM1 the machine (Sm1smom), you are truly the gem of this forum, not sure if I could do it without you. You have selflessly and patiently answered all of my questions in an insanely prompt manner, again THANK YOU SO MUCH! Next, I would like to thank Britsimon for comical relief here and there, and for extra words of wisdom. Then, c1984, SusieQQQ, Bramb90 and all others who have replied to my questions in some form or another. I will do my best to stick around and pay it forward. Wish you all good luck! Now, I'm just waiting for the physical GC in the mail (so, not completely relieved yet). Time to vacate this Starbucks :)

Last edited:
It has been a long time coming, but I have just gotten out of my interview (couldn't wait to get home, so I'm writing to you from nearby cafe) and here's my experience:

My appointment was at 11AM, so I got there at 10:15AM to make sure that I don't get stuck through a security line that another user from this forum suggested might get quite long. And long it did get, so I was glad that I got there a little early. The line moved pretty fast, roughly took 7-10 minutes, so for all of you anxious people in Boston, suggest you get there 45 minutes earlier. Then I went to the designated room for immigration interviews that was teeming with people. There was a lady sitting at the front desk, who I handed an appointment notice. After double-checking for the appointment, she said that there were none (my heart sank and I almost fainted), but she quickly realized what she was doing wrong and confirmed my 11AM appointment (what a relief!). As I was sitting there, all I could think of is how busy the room was and you could feel slight intensity in the room. At 11:20AM a man came out and called my name. I greeted the man, he tried to make a small talk and I relaxed a bit. We proceeded to a cubicle, rather than an office, so that made me feel a little more comfortable and relieved (no, I'm not claustrophobic).

Actual interview:

Me: Here you go, gave him all the documents (I put everything I had, EAD card, birth certificate).
Me: Oh, I have included it in the AOS package, but I also have the copy of the submitted report
IO: Takes my copy of the medical report, re-checks a pile of documents in front of him and hands back my copy, as he has found the original.
~~~~
To make the story shorter: The IO then asked me about the gap in my I-20s and it was natural, because of the OPT period. Then about the previous kinds of visas issued to me and I had a mix of B-2 and F-1s. Asked about my last point of entry and I answered. Asked me to confirm my last date of entry and I answered. Asked couple of times of whether I have left the US and I answered. Then very carefully went through I-485, but I was not asked the question about the Nazi involvement that I was looking forward to, as that question makes me chuckle a little, since my grandmother was like 8 years old. Then, went through the rest of the forms, just as carefully. The interesting thing is that IO did not look at my I-134 at all, not even a single question, but then again, I had a good amount in my bank account and my sponsor wrote a letter detailing how he would sponsor me completely throughout my stay in the US (my best friend from college, a US citizen). The IO didn't even check my high school diploma, but did check my college degree. After going over everything, the IO was typing away in a computer and I was observing his facial expression, but it was dead neutral, so was hard to tell. He then turned around, asked me again if I have ever left the US to which I said a firm "No", and he said the phrase I will never forget "I have approved your case, so your Green Card should be in the mail in about 15 days, but sometimes it comes in sooner, but don't expect it within 5 days, though. Any questions?" I had none and I cheerfully got up, shook his hand and we proceeded to the exit. He congratulated me and wished me good luck, to which I replied THANK YOU!!! I left the building and found the nearest trusted cafe with wifi (Starbucks) :D

My suggestions to people who are about to interview: Reply with firm Yes or No, don't answer with yeah, nah, nope, nada, zip. Wait for the interviewer to finish reading the question, if you don't, then it's just rude and will annoy the person, so just wait til the person is done. Review all of your forms several times to be confident in your answers. Smile and don't fidget too much :D Good luck!

Wanted to thank SM1 the machine (Sm1smom), you are truly the gem of this forum, not sure if I could do it without you. You have selflessly and patiently answered all of my questions in an insanely prompt manner, again THANK YOU SO MUCH! Then, I would like to thank Britsimon for adding comical reliefs here and there, and for extra words of wisdom. Then, c1984, SusieQQQ, Bramb90 and all others who have replied to my questions in some form or another. I will do my best to stick around and pay it forward. Wish you all good luck! Now, I'm just waiting for the physical GC in the mail (so, not completely relieved yet). Time to vacate this Starbucks :)

Congrats! I'm really happy for you. Enjoy every moment of it! :)

Actual interview:

~~~~

Wanted to thank SM1 the machine (Sm1smom), you are truly the gem of this forum, not sure if I could do it without you. You have selflessly and patiently answered all of my questions in an insanely prompt manner, again THANK YOU SO MUCH! Then, I would like to thank Britsimon for adding comical reliefs here and there, and for extra words of wisdom. Then, c1984, SusieQQQ, Bramb90 and all others who have replied to my questions in some form or another. I will do my best to stick around and pay it forward. Wish you all good luck! Now, I'm just waiting for the physical GC in the mail (so, not completely relieved yet). Time to vacate this Starbucks :)

Hahaha - loved to read this successful story, and especially enjoy being the comic relief around these parts!

Actual interview:

~~~~

Wanted to thank SM1 the machine (Sm1smom), you are truly the gem of this forum, not sure if I could do it without you. You have selflessly and patiently answered all of my questions in an insanely prompt manner, again THANK YOU SO MUCH! Next, I would like to thank Britsimon for comical relief here and there, and for extra words of wisdom. Then, c1984, SusieQQQ, Bramb90 and all others who have replied to my questions in some form or another. I will do my best to stick around and pay it forward. Wish you all good luck! Now, I'm just waiting for the physical GC in the mail (so, not completely relieved yet). Time to vacate this Starbucks :)

HA! Another successful story from one of my special babies :D. Time to break out another bottle of champagne ;). Congratulations and enjoy your new LPR status.

Had a good chuckle over this piece:
IO: Please, just give me only the documents that I asked you of

Reactions: CWH
Wait and be patient, I'm sure you will get it soon. It took my package 21 days to get accepted, so hang in there and let me know :)

fingers crossed for all of us :)

wow, it took that long to get the AOS package accepted! but finally, you got the confirmation. one more step done for you :) my sister's AOS package was delivered on Sunday, 07/13/2014, and hopefully, it will be processed fast.

our interview was 7/11 but the case status is still acceptance. and we don't feel that we went to the interview. because the officer only asked for passports, marriage certificate and birth certificate, that's all. it took less than 10 min. he didn't even ask for diploma, i20 or original reciepts... nothing... looks "too positive"? i'm very nervous about this "acceptance".

our interview was 7/11 but the case status is still acceptance. and we don't feel that we went to the interview. because the officer only asked for passports, marriage certificate and birth certificate, that's all. it took less than 10 min. he didn't even ask for diploma, i20 or original reciepts... nothing... looks "too positive"? i'm very nervous about this "acceptance".

That was Friday - just a couple of days ago. Relax!

Britsimon,

I have submitted another expedite request. This time I choose "extreme emergency" like you did and explained the sept 30 deadline. We'll see how it goes. Did your expedite request make a difference?

very hard to be relaxed.
is there any way to learn our updated case status, except "my case status link"?

While I must stress that no two interviews are ever the same, at the same time I feel a need to point out that the nature of your interview as described by you isn't quite unusual either. The CO doesn't necessarily need to ask for all the things you mentioned he/she didn't ask for for them to arrive at the decision they need to make.

If you go through the thread, you will also notice not everyone got approved on the spot or within the next couple of days. Sometimes, some have had to wait weeks for the approval. I know time and possibly the applicable number of visa is running out, but there's nothing you can do at this stage but to keep waiting and remain hopeful. Hard to do, but that's all you can do at this point.

Britsimon,

I have submitted another expedite request. This time I choose "extreme emergency" like you did and explained the sept 30 deadline. We'll see how it goes. Did your expedite request make a difference?

I haven't heard anything yet. We are away at the moment so when I get home tonight I am hoping I will find an appointment letter in the mailbox.... but I wouldn't give that good odds....

I haven't heard anything yet. We are away at the moment so when I get home tonight I am hoping I will find an appointment letter in the mailbox.... but I wouldn't give that good odds....
Nice! I hope you get it. I have info pass appointment scheduled for the next week. If I get negative or no response for my expedite request, I'll pay them a visit to beg and cry :D

Hi:
My CN is 2014AS000053xx, Asian
So, we need to pass the interview before 9/30/2014?
or the whole process (like finally get GC) before 9/30/2014?
I have waited for 1 month to get the interview letter after doing biometrics, still waiting now...
sooooooo nervous!!!!! :(

You ne
Hi:
My CN is 2014AS000053xx, Asian
So, we need to pass the interview before 9/30/2014?
or the whole process (like finally get GC) before 9/30/2014?
I have waited for 1 month to get the interview letter after doing biometrics, still waiting now...
sooooooo nervous!!!!! :(

You need to be approved by Sept 30. That means having a successful interview and them "picking" a visa for you. It doesn't matter if you don't have the physical GC by then, as long as you have been adjusted to an LPR.

@monh and @2014Euro40XXX

I wanted to let you know that I received the text and email notification that my AOS package was accepted and routed to USCIS National Benefits Center. Check hasn't been cashed yet. Any news on your end ?

Me too, I have received an email regarding the acceptance of AOS package, and the check was cached too.
Hopefully, every thing goes fine.