• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

This is my first post here in this forum. I had already filed my application before seeing this forum and out of the frustration that usually follows the long waiting waiting and waiting I found this forum. But from my experience so far, I would advise @MK999 and every expectant permanent resident out there that there is no need to panic if you are already current up until August at least. The receipt of a case number almost certainly means there is a VISA number reserved for you and unless you screw up eventually, it is certain that you will get approved for your Green Card.

Here is my story........
I got my Green Card today (it was indeed Green :D:D:D:D) and validity date on it is from the date my adjustment of status package was received. I had my biometrics mid June and was waiting like every other person for the almighty interview letter (I eventually didn't get one, LOL). Then sometimes in July, I scheduled an infopass to my FO for ending of July. On getting there, the lady looked at my case and asked me if I was ready for an interview there and then. I was hesitant at first, thinking that I didn't have all the required documentation. I later grabbed the opportunity. I had my interview 30mins later and it was a short one just like every other person had confirmed here in this forum. And to cut the long story short, today I now have my green card.

Here is my "little understanding" of the entire AOS process (all due respect to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon).
1. Your file is sent to your FO after your data has been entered into the system (i.e. the moment you have a receipt number and you can track your application.)

2. Whether or not you have your biometrics taken, you are due for an interview after step 1. (this is because I was asked if I had taken my biometrics when I went for the interview)

3. If you have not taken your biometrics as at the time of your interview, this can be done for you at your FO.

4. Anytime you schedule an infopass appointment, prepare for it like you are preparing for your interview, go with all the supporting documents you have (you never know, you might have your interview that day, it happened to me).

5. For those who think VISAs get exhausted, VISAs don't get exhausted. I think there are Visas available for every number that ranked below the number given in the Visa bulletin. Here is why - I had a couple of infopass visits and from the conversation I had with the immigration officers I have come to this conclusion - Everyone who can do AOS will eventually get a Visa number (unless they screw up something before the sept 30 deadline).

Finally, I'd implore everyone to stay calm. Schedule an infopass ASAP try to see if you can get them to schedule you for interview. Ask questions about why your processing is being delayed etc...

Cheers everyone

I am current in July. However, I am afraid the USCIS people are not familiar with all the memorandums etc (our cases are quite rare) and they do not understand that we must be approved by 9/30.

Congratulations on getting your Green Card. Most of us DREAM about an INFOPASS turning into an interview - so good for you that you were ready for that!

Most of what you have said above is accurate. However, I can assure you that the visa can in fact not be available for the AoS applicant - it is not reserverd. The policy memo below is an explanation to USCIS staff about the processing of DV cases. In it, there is a clear description of the ISO needing to confirm the number is current (as you said) but "As a last step, the ISO must then confirm that a DV visa number is actually available at the time of final adjudication by submitting an electronic request for the DV visa within IVAMSWEB. "

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Simon:
you think the IO in our field office, they really know the policy??
what if we have our interview, but they didn't submit an electronic request for the DV visa within IVAMSWEB?
How can we do for that? do you think we need to remind them or what??

Congratulations on getting your Green Card. Most of us DREAM about an INFOPASS turning into an interview - so good for you that you were ready for that!

Most of what you have said above is accurate. However, I can assure you that the visa can in fact not be available for the AoS applicant - it is not reserverd. The policy memo below is an explanation to USCIS staff about the processing of DV cases. In it, there is a clear description of the ISO needing to confirm the number is current (as you said) but "As a last step, the ISO must then confirm that a DV visa number is actually available at the time of final adjudication by submitting an electronic request for the DV visa within IVAMSWEB. "

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

Please let me know if I understand that correctly. The waiting time for the interview does not relate to the date when I did my biometrics.
Also, how can I verify that my file was sent to the FO? On the USCIS website it is still written that my “case is being processed at our NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER location”. But, this is definitely not my FO.

An update on my case:
I got my IL today and the interview is scheduled for Aug 25:) It took me 23 days from my walk-in bio appointment to get the letter. I had scheduled an infopass appointment for next Monday, which I just canceled. I feel like they are trying to expedite the process as we are getting closer to the end of the FY.
Cheer up everyone. Good news is on the way for you. ;)

P.S.: For future reference, according to the letter the right FO was the one I got from the link in the spread sheet, not the closest FO as offered by the info pass schedule system.

Last edited:
Simon:
what if we have our interview, but they didn't submit an electronic request for the DV visa within IVAMSWEB?

Several AoS interviewees have reported that the interview ends with the IO talking about reviewing the case and they should hear something within a couple of weeks. Whilst that may sometimes be necessary, I know that in my case it will not be necessary (because I have confirmed all the boxes are checked). SO if the IO said that to me, I would ask them why they were not closing the case and picking the visa from IVAMSWEB. I would produce the memo if needed. This will be especially true given the late interviews we are going to have.

Now, I don't know if you should do that, you may have to make that call yourself. There is a very strong chance that you alienate the interviewer (they are only human) so it may actually be counter productive. It depends how well you can handle it. The goal will be to leave with everyone smiling/winning.

An update on my case:
I got my IL today and the interview is scheduled for Aug 25:) It took me 23 days from my walk-in bio appointment to get the letter. I had scheduled an infopass appointment for next Monday, which I just canceled. I feel like they are trying to expedite the process as we are getting closer to the end of the FY.
Cheer up everyone. Good news is on the way for you. ;)

P.S.: For future reference, according to the letter the right FO was the one I got from the link in the spread sheet, not the closest FO as offered by the info pass schedule system.

Cool. That is awesome.

Please let me know if I understand that correctly. The waiting time for the interview does not relate to the date when I did my biometrics.
Also, how can I verify that my file was sent to the FO? On the USCIS website it is still written that my “case is being processed at our NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER location”. But, this is definitely not my FO.

The biometrics completion probably doesn't normally speed up the interview BUT the visa cannot be issued until the biometrics are done, so worth getting out the way.

Call uscis, they should be able to confirm where the case is right now....

The biometrics completion probably doesn't normally speed up the interview BUT the visa cannot be issued until the biometrics are done, so worth getting out the way.

Call uscis, they should be able to confirm where the case is right now....

They have told me that the case is still in Nebraska. However, the acceptance occurred on July 22nd.
I have another question please. I am trying to schedule infopass appointment. After selecting “You need Service on a case that has already been filed ”, I do not know which option to chose. My guess is that it should be “Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment”.
However, I did not contacted NCSC and I do not have ID number?
How can I schedule my infopass?
Thank you so much.

Simon:

By the way Andy, I think you need to push for an August interview if possible. You may not have seen but some people are already reporting various indications that the visas are in short supply (mainly EU, but probably other regions). Indeed, EUCN has today been put on AP at the end of a successful interview in Asia where his AP paperwork says he is waiting for visa availability. A guy from Italy has today been told his Aug 27th CP interview may not have a visa for his new bride, and someone in Fiji was granted two visas after rescheduling saying they got "the last two EU visas". So, not trying to scare YOU but it is important that you get the point across that their September interview plan is not acceptable.

I don't have the SF FO phone number, but I have today phoned my congressman to follow up and also spoke to DOS and KCC. So, I'm pushing, and that might help you too....

They have told me that the case is still in Nebraska. However, the acceptance occurred on July 22nd.
I have another question please. I am trying to schedule infopass appointment. After selecting “You need Service on a case that has already been filed ”, I do not know which option to chose. My guess is that it should be “Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment”.
However, I did not contacted NCSC and I do not have ID number?
How can I schedule my infopass?
Thank you so much.

Instead of the case services option choose ask a question. And confirm on the next screen.

My bad - it is "You need information or other services" The next page tells you to check online, but you can still "continue" and that allows you in...

Thank you so much. Is it possible to make the same infopass for 2 receipt numbers? For me and for my wife.

They told me that our bio date is Aug 19th. I have no chance now. They did not want to fax it to me. I asked 10 times......

You really need to stop stressing yourself needlessly. The fact is the bio letter can be faxed if the applicant still hasn't received it and is within 5 days of the scheduled appointment. I wasn't sure of your appointment date before when I asked you to wait until Monday and call again, yet you keep telling me they told you they can't fax it.

Here's a posting from a DV2014 applicant who was in a similar situation earlier on:

DV 2014 AOS Only

I got my receipt on July 28 and still no bio letter. I checked the stats and it looks like people are getting it in 4-6 days. Mine has been 9 days already. Can anybody help me what to do about it. Should I call USCIS or my field office?

Call USCIS!

Again, you're stressing yourself for nothing! All DV cases get sent to the Nebraska Service Center from the Chicago Lockbox. NBC then forwards the cases to the applicable FO after scheduling bio for the applicants. Meanwhile, the online status will not change from what is being displayed right now even after doing the bio. The only time it will change is when the case gets adjudicated following your interview. This process has been described over and over again.

By the way Andy, I think you need to push for an August interview if possible. You may not have seen but some people are already reporting various indications that the visas are in short supply (mainly EU, but probably other regions). Indeed, EUCN has today been put on AP at the end of a successful interview in Asia where his AP paperwork says he is waiting for visa availability. A guy from Italy has today been told his Aug 27th CP interview may not have a visa for his new bride, and someone in Fiji was granted two visas after rescheduling saying they got "the last two EU visas". So, not trying to scare YOU but it is important that you get the point across that their September interview plan is not acceptable.

I don't have the SF FO phone number, but I have today phoned my congressman to follow up and also spoke to DOS and KCC. So, I'm pushing, and that might help you too....

How does your congrassperson response to you?? Mine seems doesn't work...
It looks hopeless again...

Hello,
I have applied after my wife was awarded a number, we applied in april, but it seems that we forgot the most important part which is the DV Fee of 330 per person.
We did the biometrics in June 4 and received already the work permit, 5 days ago received a call from local USCIS that KCC didnt have our payment, and they didnt sent the file for the interview.
The same day I paid the fee and send it next day to St Louis.
I will like to know if we are on time and if there is anything we can do to make the process faster to make sure that we are on time?
Can someone help me in the problem?

Many many thanks in advance!

Regards

Leandro

Hi Sm1mom and Simon,
I would really appreciate it if you give me your opinion regarding my case.
Actually, I'm worried about the fact that EU region is running out of visa. I had my interview August 4th and it went well. However, because my file was not sent from KCC at that time, the officer gave me a paper saying they can not make decision now and once they receive the file, they will send approval letter and the GC 1-2 weeks after that. At the end, he said if we do not hear anything from them by Sep 15th, I should make an infopass appointment because visa will not be available after Sep 30th. He did not mention anything about the visa availability. Yesterday, I called KCC and they told me they sent the file on August 4th. My plan was not to wait till Sep 15th and schedule an info pass appointment at end of August. Now, after I read your post, I'm getting worried. Should I schedule an earlier infopass in case I do not hear anything till end of next week?or should I get the congressman involved as he really helped to get the appointment so probably will he help this time too? What do you think guys?

Thank you