• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Here is my walk in experience:
I think that ASC is less busy in the mid afternoon. Therefore, I went to my ASC around 2:45 and no applicant was there. However, the guard didnt let me in at first. i explained my AOS is time sensitive and showed him the 2nd notification letter. He still doesn't believe me and gave me a sermon about letting me in is not fair but he finally let me in. Different ASC may be different. It may be better to go there in the adternoon and try to convince them DV is time sensitive. 2nd notification letter may not be enough because the guard of my ASC argued that selectee only need to apply befoe Sep 30. Good luck!

that is very helpful @KingKong! thanks :)

https://d o c s.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1diw52WTN39CjpBZMMqBRqPGs-mUqK3b2w1B57GSW0go/edit#gid=432767354

Remove the spaces between DOCS. I did it like that because it embeds the excel sheet into the forum, otherwise!

But, as it's mentioned black on red, do not edit your timeline yet. it seems that @Sm1smom is still working on it.

I'm not working on the spreadsheet, people can go ahead and update their timelines. The instruction in the spreadsheet I believe is for people to not mess up the spreadsheet by doing some fancy stuff, other than editing their own information, which totally messed it up in the past.

It may be better to go there in the afternoon and try to convince them DV is time sensitive. 2nd notification letter may not be enough because the guard of my ASC argued that selectee only need toapply before Sep 30. Good luck!

Yep. The ASC staff are contractors with no clue about the DV process. They often say exactly what they told your regarding the Sept 30th deadline and they get offended when one tries to correct them.

Reactions: CWH
Yep. The ASC staff are contractors with no clue about the DV process. They often say exactly what they told your regarding the Sept 30th deadline and they get offended when one tries to correct them.

Cannot agree more. Don't need to correct or educate them. Just beg for their mercy.
Btw, mom if u can send me the previous versions of the timeline file, i can try to fix it.

I have a “strange question”. Due to the short deadline (9/30/2014) I am not sure that I and my wife will be approved on time. We are currently on J1 and J2 visas. I have an EAD card (we did not apply for a new EAD within the I 485 application, we had it before). If our I-485 is denied, may we still hold our previous J1 and J2 status and work on our EAD cards?
My lawyer told me that it will not affect our previous status (the only thing is that we will not be able to extent our J status) and it will not affect our future AOS application. Thank you so much friends!

c1984 said:
Take the letter to the ASC that they have assigned to you. Don't even volunteer that you are showing up early. No explanation needed. Just hand the letter to the security. If they are not busy, they will not care that your appointment is for a different date. They will conduct the process right then. If they point it out that you are too early, you can discuss your excuse with them.

You could even try a more convenient (closer) ASC if you want to.

Be warned that the picture they take when doing the Biometrics is the one they will use for the actual Green Card. So show up pretty :)

this is the response c1984 gave to someone planning to do a walk-in bio in the old thread. so it is possible to go to an ASC that is not assigned as in the letter? could someone confirm me on this, please? thanks!

Last edited:
I have a “strange question”. Due to the short deadline (9/30/2014) I am not sure that I and my wife will be approved on time. We are currently on J1 and J2 visas. I have an EAD card (we did not apply for a new EAD within the I 485 application, we had it before). If our I-485 is denied, may we still hold our previous J1 and J2 status and work on our EAD cards?
My lawyer told me that it will not affect our previous status (the only thing is that we will not be able to extent our J status) and it will not affect our future AOS application. Thank you so much friends!

Yes you retain or revert back to your current status if for some reason your application is denied or your unable to complete processing before the end of your applicable FY.

this is the response c1984 gave to someone planning to do a walk-in bio in the old thread. so it is possible to go to an ASC that is not assigned as in the letter? could someone confirm me on this, please? thanks!

Yes it's possible to do that.

Reactions: CWH
Yes you retain or revert back to your current status if for some reason your application is denied or your unable to complete processing before the end of your applicable FY.
Thank you so much for the answer. I really appreciate all the support and help that I have received in this forum!

I am just little bit in a different scenario. I got my interview done last week 24th. The IO ask me to provide official transcript with seal and/0r current enrollment of class at my school.
I got my transcript but to be on safe side do I need more documents to prove that I have enrolled for summer classes too.

I am just little bit in a different scenario. I got my interview done last week 24th. The IO ask me to provide official transcript with seal and/0r current enrollment of class at my school.
I got my transcript but to be on safe side do I need more documents to prove that I have enrolled for summer classes too.

When it comes to immigration issues, I'm a strong advocate of 'less is more' . However in this case, it's a no brainier that sending in both the official transcript and enrollment confirmation, if you have it, will not hurt your case. These are the 2 specific documents the IO mentioned according to you, and admittedly he said either or. This shouldn't be giving you sleepless nights, send in both if you have them.

When it comes to immigration issues, I'm a strong advocate of 'less is more' . However in this case, it's a no brainier that sending in both the official transcript and enrollment confirmation, if you have it, will not hurt your case. These are the 2 specific documents the IO mentioned according to you, and admittedly he said either or. This shouldn't be giving you sleepless nights, send in both if you have them.

What documents should I have to get for enrollment confirmation?

alright, my sister just had her walk-in bio done at the ASC on pulaski rd., chicago, IL. below is her experience:

"i arrived at 11:50am and the ceneter was not busy. the security asked for my bio letter and a photo ID, and she took them without checking anything. she then gave me a form to fill out, with my bio letter and ID also, on the clip board. having finished with the form, i handed all back to an officer there. she asked to check my hands to see whether i have any cuts on my fingers or not (one must have no cuts for the finger prints. so any of you having any cuts should wait until the cuts are healed). i had then waited in the waiting area for almost 10 mins before i was called. the whole process took about 25 mins. the interesting part was that the officer came from champaign, IL, the town i am living, so the process went pretty smoothy. she even asked me to see the picture and had it retaken"

Last edited:
alright, my sister just had her walk-in bio done at the ASC on pulaski rd., chicago ,IL. below is what here experience:

"i arrived at 11:50am and the ceneter was not busy. the security asked for my bio letter and a photo ID, and she took them without checking anything. she then gave me a form to fill out, with my bio letter and ID also, on the clip board. having finished with the form, i handed all back to an officer there. she asked to check my hands to see whether i have any cuts on my fingers or not (one must have no cuts for the finger prints. so any of you having any cuts should wait until the cuts are healed). i had then waited in the waiting area for almost 10 mins before i was called. the whole process took about 25 mins. the interesting part was that the officer came from champaign, IL, the town i am living, so the process went pretty smoothy. she even asked me to see the picture and had it retaken"

Awesome - that sounds exactly as relaxed as the Oakland ASC. Glad the walk in worked!

Awesome - that sounds exactly as relaxed as the Oakland ASC. Glad the walk in worked!

yes she said it was easy and the security and the officer were very nice. there are two ASC locations in chicago, IL and the one she went is on pulaski rd., just in case any of you are planning to get yoyr bio done. thanks again for all inputs :)

yes she said it was easy and the security and the officer were very nice. there are two ASC locations in chicago, IL and the one she went is on pulaski rd., just in case any of you are planning to get yoyr bio done. thanks again for all inputs :)

Did your sister receive any email/text regarding her bio appointment before the bio letter?

Did your sister receive any email/text regarding her bio appointment before the bio letter?

no email/text. the bio letter arrived 4 days after NOA letter. after she'd done with the bio, the officer put a stamp on her bio letter as a reference and evidence that she already did the bio.