• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Hi all,

I just had my interview a few days ago and it went pretty well. I'd like to share my AOS experience. I know it’s a fairly long post, so apologies in advance.

1. I tried doing walk-in Bio 2x at Dallas ASC (Whitehurst location) and was denied both times. 1st try, flat out denied. I showed my travel itinerary on my 2nd try and was given a new, LATER Bio appointment date *facepalm*. I was told that my original Bio date was still valid, so I ended up showing up on my original appointment date. Got there early and was out within 10-15 mins.

2. A month after my Bio, I contacted my congressperson because I hadn’t received my interview letter.

3. A month after contacting my congressperson (two months after my Bio), still no interview letter. I called KCC and was told that my FO had requested my file even BEFORE my Bio appointment! I called USCIS and spoke with a level-2 officer, she submitted a work request. I received my interview letter that afternoon. PURE COINCIDENCE. Called USCIS the next day to cancel the request but was told that they couldn’t cancel it.

4. Interview went well, basic Yes/No questions, lasted for about 15-20 minutes. I brought all documents and copies with me, but the officer only asked for a copy of my DV receipt ($330 receipt). He did NOT take my I-94, I-20, etc. USCIS.gov status updated a few hours after the interview.

5. Got a call from my congressperson’s office regarding my request a day after my interview (a month after I submitted my request). I told them that it’s been resolved. I guess contacting my congressperson didn’t really help in my case. But I’m sure they can be a good resource for some applicants.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just had my interview a few days ago and it went pretty well. I'd like to share my AOS experience. I know it’s a fairly long post, so apologies in advance.

1. I tried doing walk-in Bio 2x at Dallas ASC (Whitehurst location) and was denied both times. 1st try, flat out denied. I showed my travel itinerary on my 2nd try and was given a new, LATER Bio appointment date *facepalm*. I was told that my original Bio date was still valid, so I ended up showing up on my original appointment date. Got there early and was out within 10-15 mins.

2. A month after my Bio, I contacted my congressperson because I hadn’t received my interview letter.

3. A month after contacting my congressperson (two months after my Bio), still no interview letter. I called KCC and was told that my FO had requested my file even BEFORE my Bio appointment! I called USCIS and spoke with a level-2 officer, she submitted a work request. I received my interview letter that afternoon. PURE COINCIDENCE. Called USCIS the next day to cancel the request but was told that they couldn’t cancel it.

4. Interview went well, basic Yes/No questions, lasted for about 15-20 minutes. I brought all documents and copies with me, but the officer only asked for a copy of my DV receipt ($330 receipt). He did NOT take my I-94, I-20, etc. USCIS.gov status updated a few hours after the interview.

5. Got a call from my congressperson’s office regarding my request a day after my interview (a month after I submitted my request). I told them that it’s been resolved. I guess contacting my congressperson didn’t really help in my case. But I’m sure they can be a good resource for some applicants.

First of all, congratulations on your success and perseverance!

As I am trying to become familiar with the logistics of the whole AOS process, I thought that I was “getting there”. However, the more I read, I feel the less and less I know!

What happens after Biometrics appointment? I thought Bio result is being sent to NBC or National Benefit Center or wherever the files are after being accepted! That form is added to existing documents and then hard copy forwarded to the corresponding Field Offices, who then schedule an interview and, at some point-whether before (better) or after (not so good-takes valuable time) the interview, request a file/DV confirmation and authenticity of the case from KCC !

However, in this case, according to applicant’s info received over the phone inquiry, (so-allegedly) FO requested file from KCC BEFORE Bio appointment! That leads me to believe that NBC forwarded file fairly prompt to FO without bio results and that FO had case lined up for an (distant) interview before biometrics appt/result! And that halt was within FO (interview load, availability of appointments, receiving bio clearance, etc…), so more or less waiting time depend on the field office, seems like NBC, KCC are pretty efficient.

OR…bio clearance goes straight to FO…not back to NBC ?!?

Not sure!

First of all, congratulations on your success and perseverance!

As I am trying to become familiar with the logistics of the whole AOS process, I thought that I was “getting there”. However, the more I read, I feel the less and less I know!

What happens after Biometrics appointment? I thought Bio result is being sent to NBC or National Benefit Center or wherever the files are after being accepted! That form is added to existing documents and then hard copy forwarded to the corresponding Field Offices, who then schedule an interview and, at some point-whether before (better) or after (not so good-takes valuable time) the interview, request a file/DV confirmation and authenticity of the case from KCC !

However, in this case, according to applicant’s info received over the phone inquiry, (so-allegedly) FO requested file from KCC BEFORE Bio appointment! That leads me to believe that NBC forwarded file fairly prompt to FO without bio results and that FO had case lined up for an (distant) interview before biometrics appt/result! And that halt was within FO (interview load, availability of appointments, receiving bio clearance, etc…), so more or less waiting time depend on the field office, seems like NBC, KCC are pretty efficient.

OR…bio clearance goes straight to FO…not back to NBC ?!?

Not sure!

The bio is simply taking your fingerprints and photo. They are held electronically so no need to send them anywhere.

The bio is simply taking your fingerprints and photo. They are held electronically so no need to send them anywhere.
But fingerprinting is captured for the purpose of conducting a background check by FBI...and it takes time! I feel that is where most of the delay is...however, is prerequisite to schedule an interview!
Just my guessing...and trying to plan where to initiate intervention about my case if necessary, as Aug. 1 st (becoming current) is fast approaching!

But fingerprinting is captured for the purpose of conducting a background check by FBI...and it takes time! I feel that is where most of the delay is...however, is prerequisite to schedule an interview!
Just my guessing...and trying to plan where to initiate intervention about my case if necessary, as Aug. 1 st (becoming current) is fast approaching!

I'm not sure I agree with/believe that.

No, bio result is not prerequisite to scheduling the interview. Interview schedule depends on each FO's workload. And no, the FBI background check done for most applicants are simple and straight forward, it does not take a long time for the clean straightfoward results to be returned. The only time it takes longer is if the initial check returns with some results requiring additional checks.

FOs can go ahead and schedule the interview once the bio appointment has been scheduled and prior to receiving the bio result on the assumption the result will come in before the interview date itself. And if it happens that the applicant hasn't cleared the background check, then a final decision will not be made until that is done.

No, bio result is not prerequisite to scheduling the interview. Interview schedule depends on each FO's workload. And no, the FBI background check done for most applicants are simple and straight forward, it does not take a long time for the clean straightfoward results to be returned. The only time it takes longer is if the initial check returns with some results requiring additional checks.

FOs can go ahead and schedule the interview once the bio appointment has been scheduled and prior to receiving the bio result on the assumption the result will come in before the interview date itself. And if it happens that the applicant hasn't cleared the background check, then a final decision will not be made until that is done.
Thank you so much for clarification, Sm1smom! I really appreciate your personal time and energy invested in helping us to "get there" in this unexpected and stressful but welcome journey!

Reactions: CWH

i had the same idea as @2014Euro40XXX 's that the process is sequential, but it's apparently not. one quick question, how to find out which FO an applicant is assigned to. from the NOA letter or the bio letter?

Thank you so much for clarification, Sm1smom! I really appreciate your personal time and energy invested in helping us to "get there" in this unexpected and stressful but welcome journey!

Glad to be of service. It gives me so much joy to see everyone going through the process succeed.

i had the same idea as @2014Euro40XXX 's that the process is sequential, but it's apparently not. one quick question, how to find out which FO an applicant is assigned to. from the NOA letter or the bio letter?

Neither the NOA nor the Bio Letter will indicate the applicable FO for most applicants, although a few end up with the FO being used also as the place where they get to do their bio. It's the IL that usually lists the FO however it is possible to find out your FO before the IL arrives. If you check the AOS spreadsheet, the tab labelled 'Useful Links' has a link and instructions on how to locate one's FO.

Neither the NOA nor the Bio Letter will indicate the applicable FO for most applicants, although a few end up with the FO being used also as the place where they get to do their bio. It's the IL that usually lists the FO however it is possible to find out your FO before the IL arrives. If you check the AOS spreadsheet, the tab labelled 'Useful Links' has a link and instructions on how to locate one's FO.

the thing is people in my town were assigned to indianapolis, IN center for bio, but later got interviewed in chicago, IL. thanks mom for the info about FO :)

Last edited:
The reason that we try to do a walk-in Bio asap is not really to get an interview sooner. They are rather independent. We do this to reduce the chance of the background check not being ready by the interview date, as this has happened with some people. This is particularly crucial towards the end of the fiscal year and September 30th looming.

It's also nice to take things out of the way as soon as possible when you have some control over it. :)

If we are doing an AOS, do we need an Affidavit of Support from a U.S Citizen during our interview for AOS via DV?

I guess it all depends on the FO and the officer in charge of your case.
I didn't send the form I-394 nor any personal financial supporting docs in my AOS package, but I had them prepared for the interview.
Once I got my interview, the officer didn't ask me anything regarding financial support.

The reason that we try to do a walk-in Bio asap is not really to get an interview sooner. They are rather independent. We do this to reduce the chance of the background check not being ready by the interview date, as this has happened with some people. This is particularly crucial towards the end of the fiscal year and September 30th looming.

It's also nice to take things out of the way as soon as possible when you have some control over it. :)

Yes, especially for fellow selectees who are current in August and September. Try to do Bio walk-in if the ASC/FO isn't too far and your schedule allows it. If they won't let you do it, just show up on your original appointment date.

If we are doing an AOS, do we need an Affidavit of Support from a U.S Citizen during our interview for AOS via DV?

Having one definitely won't hurt.
If you have your W-2, tax return, pay stub, bank statement or employment verification letter, you might not need Affidavit of Support. But you should be prepared to show that you're not going to be public charges while in the US.

It also depends on your current situation. If you are on an H1, for instance you will obviously show payslips, but if you were there on a student visa you might need to show how you would support yourself and in that case I134 is one possible answer to that question.