• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Wow this is weird... I just register for Selective Services, I put all info, clicked submit and it pops up this: "Our records indicate that you are already registered 9/4/2014. Your Selective Service number and date you registered are shown below. Print a copy of this page for your records." WHAT?! :O I didn't register yet. And the date is when They sent our GC. Do You think They registered for us? How this is possible? :|

Wow this is weird... I just register for Selective Services, I put all info, clicked submit and it pops up this: "Our records indicate that you are already registered 9/4/2014. Your Selective Service number and date you registered are shown below. Print a copy of this page for your records." WHAT?! :O I didn't register yet. And the date is when They sent our GC. Do You think They registered for us? How this is possible? :|

I think you probably signed a form during your AoS process!

Were you an F-1 visa student? The same thing happened to me when I tried to registered. The date of registration matched the month I received my first EAD back in 2011. I don't recall ever registering though.

Were you an F-1 visa student? The same thing happened to me when I tried to registered. The date of registration matched the month I received my first EAD back in 2011. I don't recall ever registering though.
No. My DV AOS was Asylum based.

@Sm1smom and @Britsimon ,

Is there any document/Memo from USCIS which I can refer to, which can possibly expedite the adjudication of my case. I have an infopass later today and was hoping to use it.

I think you need to get to the bottom of why the case still has not been completed. Ask the IO to go through the list of things required to approve the case, one by one. Bio, background check, forms completed correctly, medical, any outstanding proof required - go through everything calmly and methodically. Hopefully you will get a positive answer to all of that. So then, at the end of confirming all that point out that there is nothing remaining, they have had 10 days to approve it and you need it approved now. Today. Be as calm and polite as possible whilst sending a very clear message. I was talking to the IO at my August infopass for over 1 hour - don't let them brush you off in 10 minutes. If you can speak to a supervisor - better still.

In your position, I would have the CEAC data to hand that shows over 48k visas have been issued (NOT including AoS). That is publicly available data (albeit with a little work required), so it shows they are already at the 50K mark and could therefore stop the program at any day. So if they say the standard "don't worry, there are plenty of visas" you calmly, but firmly explain - NO there are not. The idea is to get them to empathize and realize why you are concerned and that your fears are well founded. Better yet - give the IO a chance to be a hero - phrases like "you are my last chance", "only you can save me". Its a bit Hollywood, but it works - everyone loves to be a hero.

You could also print screen prints from some of the embassies that have been saying the visas are all accounted for for over a month now.

I assume you have already shown them this one - http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

If not, show that and read it thoroughly yourself. It points out the need to complete the cases by 9/30 and then describes the procedure to check IVAMSWEB etc.

I think you need to get to the bottom of why the case still has not been completed. Ask the IO to go through the list of things required to approve the case, one by one. Bio, background check, forms completed correctly, medical, any outstanding proof required - go through everything calmly and methodically. Hopefully you will get a positive answer to all of that. So then, at the end of confirming all that point out that there is nothing remaining, they have had 10 days to approve it and you need it approved now. Today. Be as calm and polite as possible whilst sending a very clear message. I was talking to the IO at my August infopass for over 1 hour - don't let them brush you off in 10 minutes. If you can speak to a supervisor - better still.

In your position, I would have the CEAC data to hand that shows over 48k visas have been issued (NOT including AoS). That is publicly available data (albeit with a little work required), so it shows they are already at the 50K mark and could therefore stop the program at any day. So if they say the standard "don't worry, there are plenty of visas" you calmly, but firmly explain - NO there are not. The idea is to get them to empathize and realize why you are concerned and that your fears are well founded. Better yet - give the IO a chance to be a hero - phrases like "you are my last chance", "only you can save me". Its a bit Hollywood, but it works - everyone loves to be a hero.

You could also print screen prints from some of the embassies that have been saying the visas are all accounted for for over a month now.

I assume you have already shown them this one - http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

If not, show that and read it thoroughly yourself. It points out the need to complete the cases by 9/30 and then describes the procedure to check IVAMSWEB etc.

Thank you Simon, you are a treasure. Maybe something moves today...

Yes, I know. We already have ssn, but we also filling taxes on this number. We don't have IRS, who is giving IRS?

Uff is getting hot on the forum! :D
I am reading GC note, it says to "filling out taxes with IRS" do I need to apply somewhere for this number? Where and how? Or ssn is enough?

IRS is not a number :rolleyes:. IRS means Internal Revenue Services - it is the government agency responsible for tax collection

http://www.irs.gov/

USCIS most likely submitted your information for selective service registration, so don't start freaking out. In some States such as Florida, DMV is actually submitting people's information when they apply for driver's license. It looks like the US government is no longer waiting for new immigrants to take the initiative of completing the registration on their own. As a matter of fact, DV2015 applicants who fall within the eligible age gap are beginning to find out they cannot submit their electronic DS-260 form without filling out a section whereby they agree to register for selective service.

USCIS most likely submitted your information for selective service registration, so don't start freaking out. In some States such as Florida, DMV is actually submitting people's information when they apply for driver's license. It looks like the US government is no longer waiting for new immigrants to take the initiative of completing the registration on their own. As a matter of fact, DV2015 applicants who fall within the eligible age gap are beginning to find out they cannot submit their electronic DS-260 form without filling out a section whereby they agree to register for selective service.
Oh ok ufff :p

The only question, really, being why they ever did rather than making it automatic!

I just came back from the infopass today. The IO talking to me today had no idea of the DV process. When I started pressing and asking why my case has been reviewed yet, he mentioned that you have to wait 90 days. I had the memo from USCIS and also to Simon's point showed him how the visas are being exhausted. Nothing. It was as if I was talking to a piece of wall. He got defensive at some point and told me the case is pending and that is all he had to say and there were other people waiting.

I'm sad and I have no idea what to do at this point.

Apologies for the dramatic notes.

I just came back from the infopass today. The IO talking to me today had no idea of the DV process. When I started pressing and asking why my case has been reviewed yet, he mentioned that you have to wait 90 days. I had the memo from USCIS and also to Simon's point showed him how the visas are being echausted. Nothing. It was as if I was talking to a piece of wall. He got defensive at some point and told me the case is pending and that is all i have to say. I need to see other people.

I'm so sorry your infopass didn't yield any good news today, just hang in there, it's not yet over. Hopefully the fact that some one took a look at your case file could serve as the needed nudge to get things going again. Do you have another infopass scheduled?

I'm so sorry your infopass didn't yield any good news today, just hang in there, it's not yet over. Hopefully the fact that some one took a look at your case file could serve as the needed nudge to get things going again. Do you have another infopass scheduled?
I do have one for the 24 and the other for the 29. I feel they both are far apart. You can't get inside without an infopass at NY-FO. They check everything.

Mom question for you, he mentioned that they have me approved on "smth Ground" but that the officer has failed to update the system. I couldn't understand what that meant? Was the IO just mumbling or there is something that I'm not aware of ?

I just came back from the infopass today. The IO talking to me today had no idea of the DV process. When I started pressing and asking why my case has been reviewed yet, he mentioned that you have to wait 90 days. I had the memo from USCIS and also to Simon's point showed him how the visas are being exhausted. Nothing. It was as if I was talking to a piece of wall. He got defensive at some point and told me the case is pending and that is all he had to say and there were other people waiting.

Awwww jeez. Sorry it didn't go well. As Mom says, maybe the visit will prompt someone to look at the file. Let's hope so. Keep checking for earlier infopass appointments. The moment they mention 90 days you have a solid reason to ask (insist) to speak to a supervisor because the person you are talking with clearly does not understand the DVprocess.