• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

countdown to dv 2018 results

9 straight!

DV-2018 (Not Selected)
DV-2017 (Not Selected)
DV-2016 (Not Selected)
DV-2015 (Not Selected)
DV-2014 (Not Selected)
DV-2013 (Not Selected)
DV-2012 (Selected but turned out it's a "database programming error". Reroll Not Selected)
DV-2011 (Not Selected)
DV-2010 (Not Selected)

Best of luck for next year @huangjs

DV-2018 (Not Selected)
DV-2017 (Not Selected)
DV-2016 (Not Selected)
DV-2015 (Not Selected)
DV-2014 (Not Selected)

DV-2019 - The probability of cancellation exists.

9 straight!

DV-2018 (Not Selected)
DV-2017 (Not Selected)
DV-2016 (Not Selected)
DV-2015 (Not Selected)
DV-2014 (Not Selected)
DV-2013 (Not Selected)
DV-2012 (Selected but turned out it's a "database programming error". Reroll Not Selected)
DV-2011 (Not Selected)
DV-2010 (Not Selected)
keep trying, don't give up.

9 straight!

DV-2018 (Not Selected)
DV-2017 (Not Selected)
DV-2016 (Not Selected)
DV-2015 (Not Selected)
DV-2014 (Not Selected)
DV-2013 (Not Selected)
DV-2011 (Not Selected)
DV-2010 (Not Selected)

Better luck next year.

DV-2018 (Not Selected)
DV-2017 (Not Selected)
DV-2016 (Not Selected)
DV-2015 (Not Selected)
DV-2014 (Not Selected)

DV-2019 - The probability of cancellation exists.

I also started from 2014. Only difference is that once I was selected but still waiting to get selected again. Wish u best luck in future DVs

9 straight!

DV-2018 (Not Selected)
DV-2017 (Not Selected)
DV-2016 (Not Selected)
DV-2015 (Not Selected)
DV-2014 (Not Selected)
DV-2013 (Not Selected)
DV-2011 (Not Selected)
DV-2010 (Not Selected)
Ouch! Keep trying dear. Although you should be "awarded" a visa for your perseverance! :rolleyes:
Good luck

Congrats to all the selectees! Hope you smoothly obtain your GCs. I was not selected again. This was at least 16th time I was in the draw but nothing, nada, zero... not even a tiny ray of sunlight for me :'( Hope additional draw will be held in September (like it happened last year). If not, I will certainly try next year again. Never give up!

16th ????? Really? Woooow
I'm so sorry I can't imagine how you feel. It's only my second year of participation and seeing "has not been selected" was so disappointing. Even if it's a lottery and our chances are always equal to none but one can't help but hope to win.
I admire you for your positivity.
Like you said never give up next year will hopefully be your year!
Congrats to all the selectees! Hope you smoothly obtain your GCs. I was not selected again. This was at least 16th time I was in the draw but nothing, nada, zero... not even a tiny ray of sunlight for me :'( Hope additional draw will be held in September (like it happened last year). If not, I will certainly try next year again. Never give up!

Actually I don't feel that bad anymore. I totally got used to see 'has not been selected' message after so many trials. I would certainly jump around high from happiness if I got selected because it's a life changing event for me (since I completed my masters degree in the States). Btw, I played for my mother for the 13th time and she was not selected too. I was never ever lucky for a single thing in my life so if/when I got/get selected I would be able to understand and taste how does it feel to not only win the lottery but to be lucky for the first time in my life. Must be amazing!

Not selected again this year. I've played since 2004. Maybe next year...

Congratulations to all the winners!

DV-2018 - Not Selected
I'm not that entushiastic anymore...for me 2-3 more year's and that's it, i'll give up. I'll move west europe and go on with my life.
I see the guys with 14-16 lottery participations, i don't know how you do it. I belive that this is verified and not a true lottery somehow. Maybe i am to angry with it all.

Good luck to all the winners! I'm really happy for you guys.

DV-2018 - Not Selected
I'm not that entushiastic anymore...for me 2-3 more year's and that's it, i'll give up. I'll move west europe and go on with my life.
I see the guys with 14-16 lottery participations, i don't know how you do it. I belive that this is verified and not a true lottery somehow. Maybe i am to angry with it all.

It's a lottery with 1% chance of selection. That means on average a person will not be successful 99 out of every 100 entries they make. Those numbers you quote above make perfect sense if you understand the odds.

Ohhh... Not selected after couple days of invalid confirmation number... life goes on~
Look forward to joining you guys in October DV2019~

Straight 9.. not selected:
2010 - Not Selected
2011 - Not Selected
2012 - Not Selected
2013 - Not Selected
2014 - Not Selected
2015 - Not Selected
2016 - Not Selected
2017 - Not Selected
2018 - Not Selected

DV-2018 - Not Selected

Cheer up! I've been not selected since 2010... and still look forward to 2019 ... almost a decade LOL cheer!!

DV-2018 - Not Selected

What does it mean to give up? It takes 5 minutes once a year to enter, it's not like you're actively doing anything. You just have to keep your expectations incredibly low, under no circumstance count on winning, and get used to seeing "not selected". I've seen that screen every year since I turned 18, 12 years in a row now. It's routine for me and I don't really think about it too much. I would honestly be amazed if I was ever selected, it would be next to a miracle. I mean the chance is between 1% and 2% which means you win between once every 50 and once every 100 years, so I am far from a statistical anomaly. I've lost 12 years in a row and I expect to lose for at least another 20 years before I start to feel like I have below average luck. It's much more likely I'll have permanent residence in the US thru another means by then, or the lottery will get canceled or the world/America will end before I win this lottery. You can easily play for 80 years and not win. How anyone wins is beyond me honestly, I keep reading about winners, I've met a few, and I am amazed considering there is a 98-99% chance of losing. I don't think most fully realize how lucky they are.

There's also a statistics reality which is that every year your chances reset. I was recently made aware of that. I thought the more I played the higher my chances became over time, but that's completely incorrect. It's called gambler's fallacy. Basically, there's a certain chance that you'll win once in the next X years, but once you've lost X years in a row, your chance the next year is the same as everyone else's - 1-2%. So if you've played for 20 years and lost, don't think you have a leg up on anyone else.

Anyone who seriously counts on this lottery for hope in his/her life or for a source of motivation is really doing themselves a disservice and is bound to live in disappointment for a very long time. If you want to move to America, go study there and then try to get a work visa or do MAVNI or fall in love, or get a job with a multinational company in your country and then get transferred to the US, something like that. And in the meantime, do play the lottery, but as soon as you enter forget about it and follow thru with your plans as normal. You gotta get serious, otherwise you can die trying with this lottery.

I typed way too much. Oh well, it's that day of year. ;) See you in October.

Last edited: