• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

countdown to dv 2018 results

DV-2018 - Not Selected
I'm not that entushiastic anymore...for me 2-3 more year's and that's it, i'll give up. I'll move west europe and go on with my life.
I see the guys with 14-16 lottery participations, i don't know how you do it. I belive that this is verified and not a true lottery somehow. Maybe i am to angry with it all.

Good luck to all the winners! I'm really happy for you guys.
Sorry for you but dv lottery or not you should be "going on" with your life anyway. Don't put on hold anything. Keep playing if it's really what you want (living in the states) if it is what you dream about, you shouldn't be giving up on it. Like he said, it takes 5 minutes !
Great things come to those who wait...
Cheer up

Ohhh... Not selected after couple days of invalid confirmation number... life goes on~
Look forward to joining you guys in October DV2019~

Straight 9.. not selected:
2010 - Not Selected
2011 - Not Selected
2012 - Not Selected
2013 - Not Selected
2014 - Not Selected
2015 - Not Selected
2016 - Not Selected
2017 - Not Selected
2018 - Not Selected
I'm sorry for you Michael. I can't imagine what it is like to get the same negative outcome for 9 years in a row...

What does it mean to give up? It takes 5 minutes once a year to enter, it's not like you're actively doing anything. You just have to keep your expectations incredibly low, under no circumstance count on winning, and get used to seeing "not selected". I've seen that screen every year since I turned 18, 12 years in a row now. It's routine for me and I don't really think about it too much. I would honestly be amazed if I was ever selected, it would be next to a miracle. I mean the chance is between 1% and 2% which means you win between once every 50 and once every 100 years, so I am far from a statistical anomaly. I've lost 12 years in a row and I expect to lose for at least another 20 years before I start to feel like I have below average luck. It's much more likely I'll have permanent residence in the US thru another means by then, or the lottery will get canceled or the world/America will end before I win this lottery. You can easily play for 80 years and not win. How anyone wins is beyond me honestly, I keep reading about winners, I've met a few, and I am amazed considering there is a 98-99% chance of losing. I don't think most fully realize how lucky they are.

There's also a statistics reality which is that every year your chances reset. I was recently made aware of that. I thought the more I played the higher my chances became over time, but that's completely incorrect. It's called gambler's fallacy. Basically, there's a certain chance that you'll win once in the next X years, but once you've lost X years in a row, your chance the next year is the same as everyone else's - 1-2%. So if you've played for 20 years and lost, don't think you have a leg up on anyone else.

Anyone who seriously counts on this lottery for hope in his/her life or for a source of motivation is really doing themselves a disservice and is bound to live in disappointment for a very long time. If you want to move to America, go study there and then try to get a work visa or do MAVNI or fall in love, or get a job with a multinational company in your country and then get transferred to the US, something like that. And in the meantime, do play the lottery, but as soon as you enter forget about it and follow thru with your plans as normal. You gotta get serious, otherwise you can die trying with this lottery.

I typed way too much. Oh well, it's that day of year. ;)

Yup. People invest way too much emotional investment, because they "feel" like they will be selected. It should be the 5 minutes a year thing - if it happens - it's wonderful - if it doesn't - it's just carry on as normal.

What does it mean to give up? It takes 5 minutes once a year to enter, it's not like you're actively doing anything. You just have to keep your expectations incredibly low, under no circumstance count on winning, and get used to seeing "not selected". I've seen that screen every year since I turned 18, 12 years in a row now. It's routine for me and I don't really think about it too much. I would honestly be amazed if I was ever selected, it would be next to a miracle. I mean the chance is between 1% and 2% which means you win between once every 50 and once every 100 years, so I am far from a statistical anomaly. I've lost 12 years in a row and I expect to lose for at least another 20 years before I start to feel like I have below average luck. It's much more likely I'll have permanent residence in the US thru another means by then, or the lottery will get canceled or the world/America will end before I win this lottery. You can easily play for 80 years and not win. How anyone wins is beyond me honestly, I keep reading about winners, I've met a few, and I am amazed considering there is a 98-99% chance of losing. I don't think most fully realize how lucky they are.

There's also a statistics reality which is that every year your chances reset. I was recently made aware of that. I thought the more I played the higher my chances became over time, but that's completely incorrect. It's called gambler's fallacy. Basically, there's a certain chance that you'll win once in the next X years, but once you've lost X years in a row, your chance the next year is the same as everyone else's - 1-2%. So if you've played for 20 years and lost, don't think you have a leg up on anyone else.

Anyone who seriously counts on this lottery for hope in his/her life or for a source of motivation is really doing themselves a disservice and is bound to live in disappointment for a very long time. If you want to move to America, go study there and then try to get a work visa or do MAVNI or fall in love, or get a job with a multinational company in your country and then get transferred to the US, something like that. And in the meantime, do play the lottery, but as soon as you enter forget about it and follow thru with your plans as normal. You gotta get serious, otherwise you can die trying with this lottery.

I typed way too much. Oh well, it's that day of year. ;) See you in October.
Wow you were inspired haha
But you made me realise that the chance of winning is the same every year, I don't know why in my mind it was like .... the more you play the higher is your chance ... how silly. And it 's so logic.
I do agree with trying other options and other means to get access to the States. Lottery alone is too light as an option. If we get the chance to win that's a big plus but unfortunately for a lot of people ito may be the only way to live the life they dream about. Ive been following a dozen of forums and blogs (in french and english ) for the last 2 years and you can see some are so desperate and oppressed in their country that they put all their remaining hopes in that lottery.
It's heartbreaking

Wow you were inspired haha
But you made me realise that the chance of winning is the same every year, I don't know why in my mind it was like .... the more you play the higher is your chance ... how silly. And it 's so logic.
I do agree with trying other options and other means to get access to the States. Lottery alone is too light as an option. If we get the chance to win that's a big plus but unfortunately for a lot of people ito may be the only way to live the life they dream about. Ive been following a dozen of forums and blogs (in french and english ) for the last 2 years and you can see some are so desperate and oppressed in their country that they put all their remaining hopes in that lottery.
It's heartbreaking

Lot of people put faith on the DV Lottery specially in countries that are affected by conflicts. I was hit hard after the first not selected but after that I no longer put high hopes on it, since the winning chances are so low. Its the best to continue with normal plans at home and probably try other options to relocate to the U.S. that are under your control and nothing similar to a Lottery.

Lot of people put faith on the DV Lottery specially in countries that are affected by conflicts. I was hit hard after the first not selected but after that I no longer put high hopes on it, since the winning chances are so low. Its the best to continue with normal plans at home and probably try other options to relocate to the U.S. that are under your control and nothing similar to a Lottery.
I'm sorry you didnt make it this year Pierre.
I agree with what you say. I'm personally trying to work on a E2 visa. I'm fortunate to have a dual European citizenship that allows me to apply to an investor visa. My country of origin (Lebanon) doesn't have an investor treaty. But E2 visa is as you may know an non immigrant one and doesn't lead to a green card. So I guess winning the lottery would be a big plus in parallel.

I was extremely disappointed last year I wasn't yet aware how slim the chance of winning is. And I started reading and looking for information on the Internet (I have absorbed so many information i could write an encyclopedia about dv) I have realised that I can't rely on the dv alone. I decided to try again but to have a plan B. Actually the lottery is my plan B... but one can't help but hope to win.

Yup. People invest way too much emotional investment, because they "feel" like they will be selected. It should be the 5 minutes a year thing - if it happens - it's wonderful - if it doesn't - it's just carry on as normal.
LIKE LIKE LIKE. Jeez....... Of course, every time you are hoping to be selected but let's be real here, you have 1 % CHANCES. 99% of the time, you won't be selected so PLEASE people don't expect too much about this and stop being sorry about people not being selected. That's normal 99% of the time! Being selected is actually extremely rare!

LIKE LIKE LIKE. Jeez....... Of course, every time you are hoping to be selected but let's be real here, you have 1 % CHANCES. 99% of the time, you won't be selected so PLEASE people don't expect too much about this and stop being sorry about people not being selected. That's normal 99% of the time! Being selected is actually extremely rare!
True !
But being sorry for the dissapointed people is just empathy.

DV-2018 - Not Selected
for me 2-3 more year's and that's it, i'll give up. I'll move west europe and go on with my life.
I see the guys with 14-16 lottery participations, i don't know how you do it. I belive that this is verified and not a true lottery somehow. Maybe i am to angry with it all.

Good luck to all the winners! I'm really happy for you guys.

It's my 12th attempt and this time I got selected, so don't lose hope. I live in western europe and even have a EU citizenship and can't wait to flee this sinking ship. It's ok in Western europe but this is no land of opportunity for ambitious and freedom-loving people. Anyway, you should never have put much hope on a.....lottery. Go on with your life wherever you are.

It's my 12th attempt and this time I got selected, so don't lose hope. I live in western europe and even have a EU citizenship and can't wait to flee this sinking ship. It's ok in Western europe but this is no land of opportunity for ambitious and freedom-loving people.

Congrats @saabe and I hope all goes well for you in the process.

It's my 12th attempt and this time I got selected, so don't lose hope. I live in western europe and even have a EU citizenship and can't wait to flee this sinking ship. It's ok in Western europe but this is no land of opportunity for ambitious and freedom-loving people. Anyway, you should never have put much hope on a.....lottery. Go on with your life wherever you are.
Congratulations! !!
U deserve it.
And btw I totally agree with you about Europe...unfortunately

Congrats!!!

Congrats and I agree with you!!! Not so much with the "sinking ship" but for all the rest I fully agree!!!

I typed way too much. Oh well, it's that day of year. ;) See you in October.
You are so right @OneHome. Myself am not even surprised I was not selected. I put so much into it the first year I entered planned around selectionand it didn't happen, but now I realise that life has to go on. I will enter the lottery each year until I get a green card or until they cancel it. In the mean time life has to go on.

They should cancel this lottery. It's so crushing to see 'not selected' year after year. This is your whole life that is at stake. So thoroughly dejected. And think I now am beginning to hate America.

They should cancel this lottery. It's so crushing to see 'not selected' year after year. This is your whole life that is at stake. So thoroughly dejected. And think I now am beginning to hate America.
I understand your frustration dear, but it's a lottery and you have more chances of not winning than winning. .. you are not losing anything. And you're free to play or not. If not being selected affects you that much you should reconsider participating from the beginning.

That is very silly. It is a LOTTERY. If you buy a lottery ticket, do you plan your whole life around that? 20 million people entered, 100k selected. It's just a lottery...

This is beyond ridiculous! It's a bloody lottery that you play for free, no payment required to register. Your whole life is at stake and you're "beginning to hate America" for this? If that's all it takes for you to hate a country we call home, then I'm glad you didn't get selected.