AtlantaGAI485Timeline

My Detailed Interview Experience

My GC Interview Experience:
Prepping for the interview, our attorney requested we have the following on us. And I quote, verbatim, “[y]ou should also bring with you a copy of the petition package that I previously sent you prior to submission to USCIS. You should bring all the items listed below that apply to you:

Beneficiary:
• Original interview notice
• Original passport(s) (current and expired)*
• Original I-94 card
• Original driver’s license or state-issued photo ID
• Original birth certificate (with names of both parents, date and place of birth)**
• Original marriage certificate
• Original divorce decree(s) (if applicable)
• Letter form your employer (confirming the date of hire, salary and position) and 3-4 pay stubs (if applicable)
• Social security card (if you changed your name after getting married)
• Foreign nationals who have ever had an offense record (other than most traffic violations) could possible suffer harsh immigration consequences. [Omitted,
purposely—client-attorney privilege]. If you have ever been arrested you must bring all certified court records (even if the charges were dismissed or expunged);
and,
• All documents issued to you by the Immigration Service (Employment Authorization Documents, Travel Documents, nonimmigrant visa extension notices,
Forms IAP-66, I-20, etc.)

Petitioner:
• Original U.S. birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, U.S. passport or Alien Resident Card
• Original divorce decree(s)
• Copies of documents in support of the good-faith nature of your marriage (joint bank statements, lease agreements, wedding and family photographs, joint credit
card statements, insurance policies (auto, health, life-at least 1), utility bills, etc)
• Copies of birth certificates for all children born from this marriage
• Copies of federal tax return (with Forms W-2 or 1099) for three years (including the tax return declarations filed jointly as well as those filed by the Petitioner
before the marriage)
• Letter form your current employer (confirming the date of hire, salary, and position) and 3-4 pay stubs, and
• Signed and notarized Form(s) I-864, Affidavit of Support, on behalf of each beneficiary (if these forms were not submitted before)

Beneficiary’s Minor Children from Previous Marriage (if applicable):
• Original I-94 card(s)
• Original driver’s licenses of state-issued photo IDs (if available)
• Original birth certificate(s) (with names of both parents, date, and place of birth)**
• Original or copy of the marriage certificate for parents (if available)
• Original divorce decree for parents (if applicable)
• School and medical records from the US (if available)
• Form I-693 (Immigration physical exam) and vaccination record in a sealed envelope (Please disregard if these items have already been submitted to the
Immigration Service), and
• All documents issued by the Immigration Service (Employment Authorization Documents, Travel Documents, nonimmigrant visa extension notices, Forms IAP-66,
I-20, etc.)

Financial Co-Sponsor (if your and your spouse’s income does not meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines):
• Signed and notarized Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
• Copies of federal tax returns for three years with forms W-2 or 1099
• Letter from the co-sponsors current employer (indicating the date of hire, salary, and position) or 3-4 pay stubs, and
• Proof of the co-sponsor’s status (U.S. birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, U.S. passport or Alien Resident Card)

*Please bring originals and one set of copies of the above documents. The Immigration Officer (IO) will retain copies in your case file and return originals to you.
**Please provide English translations for all documents in other languages.

1 day prior to our Interview, I combed through the above bulleted items and the following were what I had in my portfolio, 5 folders, originals + 1 copy:

Folder 1: USCIS Documents + Notices
• Interview Notice
• EAD cards (Old & Most recent)
• Biometrics Appointment (With the stamp confirming successful completion)
• I-130 Receipt Notice
• I-485 Receipt Notice
• I-765 Receipt Notice

Folder 2: Primary Documents (also where it applies to USC)
• Birth Certificates (I and my USC)
• Passports (Old and Most recent)
• I-94 Card
• Driver’s Licenses (I and my USC)
• Marriage Certificate
• Marriage License
• Social Security Card
• I-20s
• College Diplomas (Include all attained in the U.S.)
• USC offer letter (If job is new) (or 3-4 pay stubs if job is not new)

Folder 3: Support Documents (Proofs of bona fide marriage/evidence of good-faith marriage)
• Bank Statements (Include about 3-4 up till most recent)
• Utilities
• Auto Insurance Card
• Health Insurance Card
• Lease/Rental Agreement
• Tax Returns-2010(Recommendation-2008, 2009, & 2010) –Not necessary if you have a Co-Sponsor which I did in my case (we recently graduated) or your USC’s
salary is not above Federal Poverty Guideline
• W-2 -2010
• Airfare Ticket Stubs (If you traveled together/Honeymoon/Vacation)
• Cards (Anniversary, Birthday, Missing/Thinking About You) Any kind you were given or received
• Photo Album

Folder 4: Co-Sponsor Documents
• Tax Returns (2008, 2009, & 2010)
• W-2s (2008, 2009, & 2010)
• Pay stubs (Most recent 4)
• Passport Page or Co-Sponsor’s Proof of Status (See Financial Co-Sponsor above)

Folder 5: MISC Documents
• Copies of Final Draft submitted to Immigration Service (I-485, I-130, & 1-765)
• Medical Tests results (ALL)
• Receipts of Medical Tests (ALL)
• Receipts of Gifts (ALL)
• Receipts of Filing Fees (I used Money orders)

We double-checked all the day before (All day). And thus, our portfolio was Thicker than a SNICKER bar LOL.

Here is my anecdote:

Our interview was set for 10:15 am on September 26, 2011. My USC wife and I arrived at about 9:35 am. We parked and sorted through all our documents, making sure we left nothing behind in the car. As we walked towards the USCIS front entrance, being observant, I noticed all sorts of couples. We were definitely underdressed; my wife had to be at work by 7 am and since her job required her to dress casually, I had to adjust my dressing style as well. We both had jeans on and button down shirts. What I am trying to reiterate is that you can be dressed to the teeth—3 piece suits and you can also dress light, casual—jeans and a dress shirt or even a t-shirt...it doesn’t matter. Just don’t wear graphic tees so as not to draw attention while being interviewed by the officer. LOL

So we cleared security and on the other side, our attorney awaited us. By 10 am, we had turned in our Interview Notice and made our way to the top level where we will be summoned for our interview. While we waited, our attorney coached us and disclosed to us some of her previous experiences with past Interview Officers (IO). She mentioned how NEW IOs attempt to be harsher and more thorough with their interview questions. She beckoned on us not to fret, but remain cool, calm, and collected. Sheasked to review the contents of our portfolio and was impressed with the depth and organization of our portfolio. At the waiting room, she shuffled documents, re-organizing them based on order of importance. From all the above folders we had prepared, she condensed it to simply 2 folders (Folders 2 and 3) for top priority.

Let me REITERATE this, again based on my first-hand and secondary research. While you and your USC spouse are seated in this waiting area, body chemistry or language has to be resonated. The reason being, whenever IOs are walking out with folders, calling on couples’ numbers, they are observing the activities of couples waiting to be called on. Thus, embrace your spouse, hold hands, rub backs, heads, touch cheeks, make eye contact, but NO provocative public display of action as kids are also present in this waiting area. I noticed a specific lady walking around repeatedly observing couples. At the time I was there, only about 3 of 9 couples displayed chemistry. SAD. LOL. We remained calm and patient. Our attorney said she had waited up to 4 hours to accompany her client to the interviewing room.

At about 11 am, mind you our interview was set for 10:15 am, an IO called out our number. We walked to his office and he swore us in to tell the truth, nothing but the truth. At this time, our attorney was privileged to join us in the room. The IO started by asking me to confirm my name, date of birth, and address. He had in his front our application package submitted and was verifying the contents. He then asked me if I were married still to my spouse and If I had any children. NOTE: If your spouse has any kids, they are technically yours; so you must answer by saying YES.

He then turned to my spouse, asking her name, where she lived currently, and if she was still married to me. He showed her a page on our application package and asked if it were her signature.

The IO returned to me while he reviewed my I-693 (Immigration physical form). We had an issue at this stage as a page was left blank which related to Tuberculosis. He said he could not assume what my result was (mind you, I had the result in my portfolio), and could not move forward till he confirmed. As a courtesy, (I believe it was because of our attorney), he picked up the phone and called Concentra where I did all my Medical Testings. Fortunately, he was able to speak directly to the M.D. whom signed off on all my medical tests and within 3 minutes, he had faxed over the missing page. PHEW. Our attorney acknowledged and thanked him for extending that courtesy to us.

The interview proceeded and again, he returned to my wife. By this time, he had made reference to where she was from and how he recalled some crazy incidents happening 6 years back. As fate would have it, this was the ICE BREAKER. My wife personally knew the people involved (a victim that was her younger sister’s high school friend at the time). He then asked me if I was employed and I answered no. He asked my wife again if she was employed. She recently got hired and as we were coming straight from her job, she flashed her badge and our attorney mentioned that we had her offer letter in our portfolio. He viewed it and returned it. Next, he asked us “How long have you two been dating/together”. This was honestly the only personal/marriage interview question.

The IO then asked for evidence to prove our marriage was in good faith. We turned in to him all our contents from Folder 3. He reviewed everything and was impressed. I recall he had joked about how much our rent was for an entire house. But I explained to him that it was family owned and the rent was arbitrary as requested by the home-owner.

Moving forward, the IO found a discrepancy between my foreign birth certificate and our application package. The issue here was that my parent’s first names did not match, looking at both documents—English first names versus Traditional (Foreign first names). I told him the rationale behind it and he was undoubtedly sold and made the correction to have the foreign first names appear on our application package.

By 11:40 am, the IO had been convinced that we were all set to go and congratulated me as being a United States Permanent Resident with a 2 year condition and we concluded the interview. He removed my I-94 card and stamped it as well as my application package.
I must comment that it is a very pleasing sign when your USC speaks on your behalf. It shows commitment and the dedication your USC has towards the approval of yourGreen Card.

I came home and broke the good news to you all.

Thanks for all your support and your attention. I hope this will truly help all others yet to proceed with their interviews. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. Good luck my fellow friends!

rfagtg

Amazing details adeboi.......Will truly help fellow filers understand what to expect and have their peace of mind reading through the detail.

Congratulations once again !!!

Quick Q ? Did you see your online status change to approved/card ordered post interview.

My GC Interview Experience:
Prepping for the interview, our attorney requested we have the following on us. And I quote, verbatim, “[y]ou should also bring with you a copy of the petition package that I previously sent you prior to submission to USCIS. You should bring all the items listed below that apply to you:

Beneficiary:
• Original interview notice
• Original I-94 card
• Original driver’s license or state-issued photo ID
• Original birth certificate (with names of both parents, date and place of birth)**
• Original marriage certificate
• Original divorce decree(s) (if applicable)
• Letter form your employer (confirming the date of hire, salary and position) and 3-4 pay stubs (if applicable)
• Social security card (if you changed your name after getting married)
• Foreign nationals who have ever had an offense record (other than most traffic violations) could possible suffer harsh immigration consequences. [Omitted,
purposely—client-attorney privilege]. If you have ever been arrested you must bring all certified court records (even if the charges were dismissed or expunged);
and,
• All documents issued to you by the Immigration Service (Employment Authorization Documents, Travel Documents, nonimmigrant visa extension notices,
Forms IAP-66, I-20, etc.)

Petitioner:
• Original U.S. birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, U.S. passport or Alien Resident Card
• Original divorce decree(s)
• Copies of documents in support of the good-faith nature of your marriage (joint bank statements, lease agreements, wedding and family photographs, joint credit
card statements, insurance policies (auto, health, life-at least 1), utility bills, etc)
• Copies of birth certificates for all children born from this marriage
• Copies of federal tax return (with Forms W-2 or 1099) for three years (including the tax return declarations filed jointly as well as those filed by the Petitioner
before the marriage)
• Letter form your current employer (confirming the date of hire, salary, and position) and 3-4 pay stubs, and
• Signed and notarized Form(s) I-864, Affidavit of Support, on behalf of each beneficiary (if these forms were not submitted before)

Beneficiary’s Minor Children from Previous Marriage (if applicable):
• Original I-94 card(s)
• Original driver’s licenses of state-issued photo IDs (if available)
• Original birth certificate(s) (with names of both parents, date, and place of birth)**
• Original or copy of the marriage certificate for parents (if available)
• Original divorce decree for parents (if applicable)
• School and medical records from the US (if available)
• Form I-693 (Immigration physical exam) and vaccination record in a sealed envelope (Please disregard if these items have already been submitted to the
Immigration Service), and
• All documents issued by the Immigration Service (Employment Authorization Documents, Travel Documents, nonimmigrant visa extension notices, Forms IAP-66,
I-20, etc.)

Financial Co-Sponsor (if your and your spouse’s income does not meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines):
• Signed and notarized Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
• Copies of federal tax returns for three years with forms W-2 or 1099
• Letter from the co-sponsors current employer (indicating the date of hire, salary, and position) or 3-4 pay stubs, and
• Proof of the co-sponsor’s status (U.S. birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, U.S. passport or Alien Resident Card)

*Please bring originals and one set of copies of the above documents. The Immigration Officer (IO) will retain copies in your case file and return originals to you.
**Please provide English translations for all documents in other languages.

1 day prior to our Interview, I combed through the above bulleted items and the following were what I had in my portfolio, 5 folders, originals + 1 copy:

Folder 1: USCIS Documents + Notices
• Interview Notice
• EAD cards (Old & Most recent)
• Biometrics Appointment (With the stamp confirming successful completion)
• I-130 Receipt Notice
• I-485 Receipt Notice
• I-765 Receipt Notice

Folder 2: Primary Documents (also where it applies to USC)
• Birth Certificates (I and my USC)
• Passports (Old and Most recent)
• I-94 Card
• Driver’s Licenses (I and my USC)
• Marriage Certificate
• Marriage License
• Social Security Card
• I-20s
• College Diplomas (Include all attained in the U.S.)
• USC offer letter (If job is new) (or 3-4 pay stubs if job is not new)

Folder 3: Support Documents (Proofs of bona fide marriage/evidence of good-faith marriage)
• Bank Statements (Include about 3-4 up till most recent)
• Utilities
• Auto Insurance Card
• Health Insurance Card
• Lease/Rental Agreement
• Tax Returns-2010(Recommendation-2008, 2009, & 2010) –Not necessary if you have a Co-Sponsor which I did in my case (we recently graduated) or your USC’s
salary is not above Federal Poverty Guideline
• W-2 -2010
• Airfare Ticket Stubs (If you traveled together/Honeymoon/Vacation)
• Cards (Anniversary, Birthday, Missing/Thinking About You) Any kind you were given or received
• Photo Album

Folder 4: Co-Sponsor Documents
• Tax Returns (2008, 2009, & 2010)
• W-2s (2008, 2009, & 2010)
• Pay stubs (Most recent 4)
• Passport Page or Co-Sponsor’s Proof of Status (See Financial Co-Sponsor above)

Folder 5: MISC Documents
• Copies of Final Draft submitted to Immigration Service (I-485, I-130, & 1-765)
• Medical Tests results (ALL)
• Receipts of Medical Tests (ALL)
• Receipts of Gifts (ALL)
• Receipts of Filing Fees (I used Money orders)

We double-checked all the day before (All day). And thus, our portfolio was Thicker than a SNICKER bar LOL.

Here is my anecdote:

Our interview was set for 10:15 am on September 26, 2011. My USC wife and I arrived at about 9:35 am. We parked and sorted through all our documents, making sure we left nothing behind in the car. As we walked towards the USCIS front entrance, being observant, I noticed all sorts of couples. We were definitely underdressed; my wife had to be at work by 7 am and since her job required her to dress casually, I had to adjust my dressing style as well. We both had jeans on and button down shirts. What I am trying to reiterate is that you can be dressed to the teeth—3 piece suits and you can also dress light, casual—jeans and a dress shirt or even a t-shirt...it doesn’t matter. Just don’t wear graphic tees so as not to draw attention while being interviewed by the officer. LOL

So we cleared security and on the other side, our attorney awaited us. By 10 am, we had turned in our Interview Notice and made our way to the top level where we will be summoned for our interview. While we waited, our attorney coached us and disclosed to us some of her previous experiences with past Interview Officers (IO). She mentioned how NEW IOs attempt to be harsher and more thorough with their interview questions. She beckoned on us not to fret, but remain cool, calm, and collected. Sheasked to review the contents of our portfolio and was impressed with the depth and organization of our portfolio. At the waiting room, she shuffled documents, re-organizing them based on order of importance. From all the above folders we had prepared, she condensed it to simply 2 folders (Folders 2 and 3) for top priority.

Let me REITERATE this, again based on my first-hand and secondary research. While you and your USC spouse are seated in this waiting area, body chemistry or language has to be resonated. The reason being, whenever IOs are walking out with folders, calling on couples’ numbers, they are observing the activities of couples waiting to be called on. Thus, embrace your spouse, hold hands, rub backs, heads, touch cheeks, make eye contact, but NO provocative public display of action as kids are also present in this waiting area. I noticed a specific lady walking around repeatedly observing couples. At the time I was there, only about 3 of 9 couples displayed chemistry. SAD. LOL. We remained calm and patient. Our attorney said she had waited up to 4 hours to accompany her client to the interviewing room.

At about 11 am, mind you our interview was set for 10:15 am, an IO called out our number. We walked to his office and he swore us in to tell the truth, nothing but the truth. At this time, our attorney was privileged to join us in the room. The IO started by asking me to confirm my name, date of birth, and address. He had in his front our application package submitted and was verifying the contents. He then asked me if I were married still to my spouse and If I had any children. NOTE: If your spouse has any kids, they are technically yours; so you must answer by saying YES.

He then turned to my spouse, asking her name, where she lived currently, and if she was still married to me. He showed her a page on our application package and asked if it were her signature.

The IO returned to me while he reviewed my I-693 (Immigration physical form). We had an issue at this stage as a page was left blank which related to Tuberculosis. He said he could not assume what my result was (mind you, I had the result in my portfolio), and could not move forward till he confirmed. As a courtesy, (I believe it was because of our attorney), he picked up the phone and called Concentra where I did all my Medical Testings. Fortunately, he was able to speak directly to the M.D. whom signed off on all my medical tests and within 3 minutes, he had faxed over the missing page. PHEW. Our attorney acknowledged and thanked him for extending that courtesy to us.

The interview proceeded and again, he returned to my wife. By this time, he had made reference to where she was from and how he recalled some crazy incidents happening 6 years back. As fate would have it, this was the ICE BREAKER. My wife personally knew the people involved (a victim that was her younger sister’s high school friend at the time). He then asked me if I was employed and I answered no. He asked my wife again if she was employed. She recently got hired and as we were coming straight from her job, she flashed her badge and our attorney mentioned that we had her offer letter in our portfolio. He viewed it and returned it. Next, he asked us “How long have you two been dating/together”. This was honestly the only personal/marriage interview question.

The IO then asked for evidence to prove our marriage was in good faith. We turned in to him all our contents from Folder 3. He reviewed everything and was impressed. I recall he had joked about how much our rent was for an entire house. But I explained to him that it was family owned and the rent was arbitrary as requested by the home-owner.

Moving forward, the IO found a discrepancy between my foreign birth certificate and our application package. The issue here was that my parent’s first names did not match, looking at both documents—English first names versus Traditional (Foreign first names). I told him the rationale behind it and he was undoubtedly sold and made the correction to have the foreign first names appear on our application package.

By 11:40 am, the IO had been convinced that we were all set to go and congratulated me as being a United States Permanent Resident with a 2 year condition and we concluded the interview. He removed my I-94 card and stamped it as well as my application package.
I must comment that it is a very pleasing sign when your USC speaks on your behalf. It shows commitment and the dedication your USC has towards the approval of yourGreen Card.

I came home and broke the good news to you all.

Thanks for all your support and your attention. I hope this will truly help all others yet to proceed with their interviews. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. Good luck my fellow friends!

Thanks falcyon! Much appreciated. I hope it does as well. You know the funny thing, I never could track my process online (even though I did create an account there) and never received notifications via Texts or e-mail. It would not recognize my case numbers. So I consulted with my attorney and their firm, but no 1 could answer so I never bothered with that portion. Maybe I should try it again.

Amazing details adeboi.......Will truly help fellow filers understand what to expect and have their peace of mind reading through the detail.

Congratulations once again !!!

Quick Q ? Did you see your online status change to approved/card ordered post interview.

falcyon, let me say a big thank you for getting me to readdress the online case tracking. I was able to successfully add my case numbers for my I-485 and I-765 and for my I-485, it is at the final step--Card/Document Production which states "On September 27, 2011, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you".

Thanks falcyon! Much appreciated. I hope it does as well. You know the funny thing, I never could track my process online (even though I did create an account there) and never received notifications via Texts or e-mail. It would not recognize my case numbers. So I consulted with my attorney and their firm, but no 1 could answer so I never bothered with that portion. Maybe I should try it again.

Congrats Adeboi and thank you very much for the details, it will sure help me for my interview next month.
How does it feel to be green? Loll

LOL! Thanks kadidja; you're welcome...all I wanted to do is give back and help as much as possible. To be green is such a relief; knowing I can leave and renter as I please and don't have to queue up on those LOOOOOONG non-immigrant lines at the port of entry. lol

Congrats Adeboi and thank you very much for the details, it will sure help me for my interview next month.
How does it feel to be green? Loll

Cool.....In a week or so, you should be receiving the card via email.......Its a good feeling to have that dirty green looking card finally in hand.

LOL! I don't have to queue up on those LOOOOOONG non-immigrant lines at the port of entry. lol

LOL. Early last year, they started the mandatory fingerprinting at POE (for all non-Citizens), that still does delay you somewhat. But yes, you get to stand in a different line along with fellow citizens, which is comparatively shorter.

Glad, the online status reflected the latest change in your information.....2 more quick Q ?

Not sure what the process is in Atlanta DO, but am just curious.

Did the officer take your EAD Card once approved ?
Did you ask for temporary I-551 stamp on your passport, if EAD was taken away ?

Falcyon

falcyon, let me say a big thank you for getting me to readdress the online case tracking. I was able to successfully add my case numbers for my I-485 and I-765 and for my I-485, it is at the final step--Card/Document Production which states "On September 27, 2011, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you".

No, my EAD card is presently with me. And no again, I did not ask for immediate parole (Or whatever it's called). I am not in a hurry to leave. I cannot let that jeopardize what I need to do properly. I mean 3-6 weeks...I can patiently wait :)

Glad, the online status reflected the latest change in your information.....2 more quick Q ?

Not sure what the process is in Atlanta DO, but am just curious.

Did the officer take your EAD Card once approved ?
Did you ask for temporary I-551 stamp on your passport, if EAD was taken away ?

Falcyon