• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

hey guys how are u i recently read from ethiopian forum DV 2014 that affidavity of support is no longer needed . do u have any idea about this
Hi abi328,

I had prepared not one but two affidavit of supports for my family. But we were not asked by the CO and it didn't served the purpose. On the official notification from the US Embassy Addis Ababa website yes sponsor is not needed. But yet there night be some circumstances by which the CO ask for it during the interview. If you can get one, get it, if not don't bother much about it.

Hi Ormania, new here with AF00023xxx . Am just starting the ds-260 . Couple of qns then :)

1) Address : street names :) some nearby to home street name from google maps and add house number to it ? or ?
2) parent names : I plan to simply write it as ETH immigration would do (like mine) : grandfather name:surname , first and father name: given name if there is nothing special about it.
3) Is the 1st NL another letter yet to be sent ? or after the ds-260 form is filled ? or the online notification is the 1st NL ?
4)What reason should be given for not having received vaccinations in accordance with the US law ?
5) So my 'sponsor' would be the person whom I fill on the part - ' where I intend to live ? Because that is my plan ,As anyway I have to have some address to give to :)

Thank U !

Sorry for my late reply ethSelam,

Q1) If your street has name write it if not use the nearest recognizable street name as our streets are not named.
Q2) I didn't get it, but write Surname (Ayat) Given name (Yanten) and Middle name (Ye Abateh)
Q3) You didn't read what i posted on page 1. You come to know you win the lottery after receiving your 1NL. Yes the online notification is the 1NL.
Q4) My friend filled this part as "Don't have document in hand"
Q5) You can write that as well,

Thank you Ormania .
On the 'previous study ' part , should I fill a study that I did not finish ( have a degree certificate of ) ? Because my stay in another country for the study is already on my passport .
Currently I am a student , do student jobs count as ' occupation' and should be filled as well ? thanks !

hey britisimon, about the vaccination thing i think we have to clear things out logically. if we answer no to the vaccination question thing , it asks us which vaccination we received and not and in ethiopia's situation we only recieved atmost 6 vaccination as compared to 10 or more vaccination given in USA. besides if u read ineligibility criteria for visa denial, lack of full vaccination is one thing. in fact i emailed KCC about answering no to the question and u know what they replied "soory we cant help u with this thing contact the embassy at ur area" therefore we have agreed that we will receive vaccination as part of the preparation when one is called for interview so there will be nothing that disqualify us by answering YES the vaccination question

Welcome Abi

Like guestgulkan stated, your number is very safe. There are Ethiopians this year with 50xxx who have gone to interview already. My number is 31xxx and I was interviewed in May.

With 26xxx, you should see your interview between March and May 2015. You have a good number.

Hi Guys, I'm from Egypt with CN AF16xxx..I have filled form DS260 already, any experience one could predict my interview date? Will it be in Feb 2015 for example?

hey britisimon, about the vaccination thing i think we have to clear things out logically. if we answer no to the vaccination question thing , it asks us which vaccination we received and not and in ethiopia's situation we only recieved atmost 6 vaccination as compared to 10 or more vaccination given in USA. besides if u read ineligibility criteria for visa denial, lack of full vaccination is one thing. in fact i emailed KCC about answering no to the question and u know what they replied "soory we cant help u with this thing contact the embassy at ur area" therefore we have agreed that we will receive vaccination as part of the preparation when one is called for interview so there will be nothing that disqualify us by answering YES the vaccination question

We have been over this before, multiple times. But let me try and state it one more time. It is clear that you can be denied for not having the appropriate vaccinations. When you have the medical with the civil surgeon as part of the DV requirement the doctor will decide what you need based on what you have already (that you have proof) and what is appropriate.

However this question is worded in a way that is asking whether you have (present tense, meaning have in your possession now) documentation that you have Had all the vaccinations required by US law. If you have HAD all those documents and HAVE a document showing that, then you could answer yes. If not (usually people will not) then no is the most accurate and truthful answer. A box pops up where you explain you will get the required vaccinations.

Whether you answer yes or no to this question won't get you disqualified. However the important point that people should understand is to read the questions carefully and answer them truthfully. Answer not based on what you plan to do or what you think they want to hear, answer the truth.

I think THAT cleared things out logically...

Thank you Britsimon.....do you think all the people who filled the form will be interviewed or Kcc filter the applicants??

This has been answered a number of times in the forums. KCC do not have any authority to deny an applicant based on a returned form. Only a consular officer can adjudicate that. Even if it is blatantly obvious that an applicant will be disqualified, if a form has been returned KCC will schedule an appointment for interview.

This has been answered a number of times in the forums. KCC do not have any authority to deny an applicant based on a returned form. Only a consular officer can adjudicate that. Even if it is blatantly obvious that an applicant will be disqualified, if a form has been returned KCC will schedule an appointment for interview.
Thank you Susie, so any refusal or denying must be during the interview..right? as well as i don't see more refusal cases during the interview..so why they select 125,000 selectee and they would accept only 50,000? I know there are some cases might provide wrong info, or have some medical issues or crime records . but do you think if we have everything correct, no crimes, no medical issues, good working & education history, family, ...so the probability of getting the visa is high...right??

Thank you Susie, so any refusal or denying must be during the interview..right? as well as i don't see more refusal cases during the interview..so why they select 125,000 selectee and they would accept only 50,000? I know there are some cases might provide wrong info, or have some medical issues or crime records . but do you think if we have everything correct, no crimes, no medical issues, good working & education history, family, ...so the probability of getting the visa is high...right??

If you meet the criteria and have your interview, it is a very straightforward process with a very high success rate. Those that get refused often thought the rules were negotiable or they could get away with something...

Well,at the interview or after, if you are put on AP. So the reason they select more than they need is:
- some people never return the DS230/260s (quite a lot actually, it seems most of the "extra" selectees usually fall out at this stage)
- some who do return forms don't show up for interview - probably those who change their mind either when they see the process can be quite expensive or realise they don't meet the eligibility criteria, or just decide they are happy whee they are and don't want to move
- some people are refused at interview
- some people are put on AP and may be approved later, or may not be approved/not be approved in time before 30 Sept

But yes if you are qualified, if you pass the medicals, if you won't be a public charge, you will get a visa, provided there are still visas left to issue.

Hello guys , I am planning to have my interview in Germany,Frankfurt . Any specialties you have come across , experiences .... ? Because could not find 'forum - infos' on that except official and general infos .
Thanks !

Thank you Britsimon !
Have checked that already - a very good one ! But for example on document issue : do they need an in German certified copies of originals or a normal copy is enough ?
On police certificates: I have an exactly a year stay in Europe (before Germany) , would I be expected to have the certificate from there too ?

Thank you Britsimon !
Have checked that already - a very good one ! But for example on document issue : do they need an in German certified copies of originals or a normal copy is enough ?
On police certificates: I have an exactly a year stay in Europe (before Germany) , would I be expected to have the certificate from there too ?

Europe isn't a country :confused:

But yes the dvselectee website confirms when you need police certs and when not.

I don't think you need certified copies for most things.

Well,at the interview or after, if you are put on AP. So the reason they select more than they need is:
- some people never return the DS230/260s (quite a lot actually, it seems most of the "extra" selectees usually fall out at this stage)
- some who do return forms don't show up for interview - probably those who change their mind either when they see the process can be quite expensive or realise they don't meet the eligibility criteria, or just decide they are happy whee they are and don't want to move
- some people are refused at interview
- some people are put on AP and may be approved later, or may not be approved/not be approved in time before 30 Sept

But yes if you are qualified, if you pass the medicals, if you won't be a public charge, you will get a visa, provided there are still visas left to issue.
Thank you a lot for your clear explanation...

Hi everybody I am a university student, I have uncertified copy of grade report and the university asks me cost sharing money (4624 birr/year )to certify this grade report. Is it a must to bring certified copy of university grade report as an evidence for being university student at the time of interview as I answered university, no degree to the question on DS260 “highest education achieved as of today”

Hi everybody I am a university student, I have uncertified copy of grade report and the university asks me cost sharing money (4624 birr/year )to certify this grade report. Is it a must to bring certified copy of university grade report as an evidence for being university student at the time of interview as I answered university, no degree to the question on DS260 “highest education achieved as of today”

To qualify for the DV process you don't need the University degree - only an education equivalent to a US High school education. That standard varies by country.

However, your young age (I'm assuming) will have another impact to your case. As a young person you will be a slightly higher risk of needing financial assistance. So, you need to have a strong case to show how you will avoid becoming a public charge. If you have over $10k in savings or liquid assets, that should be enough. If you do not have that then you absolutely should obtain an I134 to show that you will have someone to support you.