• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Thanks Britismon do I need to attach any document with the AOS. I am confused. Can u explain z details I mean after it should b filled zen what is z next step. Different ideas on zis forum.

The affadavit of support is completed by someone (legally resident in the USA and paying taxes) for you. They have to include/attach some tax information. Once they have done that they send the form and the supporting documents to you, and you present it at your interview (if needed).

Very good clear instructions here:-

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT - (AOS) FORM I-134

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary confusion over aos form. To start with, the applicant is not the person that fills out this form, it's a form that your *sponsor* provides you with. The *sponsor* has to be a person. A business or a church organization is not recognizable entity for the purpose of this form. The person acting as your *sponsor* must be a US citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident. It could also be someone on a dual-intent visa.

The form must be accompanied by a copy of the person's US passport or LPR card, their W2 or form 1099 (your *sponsor* knows what these forms are). There are other documents the sponsor may include too.

Here's a link to the form and instructions on how to fill it out. You guys should read it or send it to your *sponsor* to better understand how this should be done:

http://www.uscis.gov/i-134

*sponsor* - DV applications are self sponsored, they do not require a sponsor in the same sense as other immigration applications. But the person filing out the form is in a way acting like a sponsor.

Thanks both. It looks more clear now. One question, is zere a place to notarize zis in US or no need to notsrize it? Thanks.

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT - (AOS) FORM I-134

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary confusion over aos form. ...

*sponsor* - DV applications are self sponsored, they do not require a sponsor in the same sense as other immigration applications. But the person filing out the form is in a way acting like a sponsor.
Hi Sm1smom, you have been my hero adviser so far, thank you. I appropriate all the senior members here. You all are supper. Now, initially AoS I134 was not my issue as I take for granted the public information in Addis. Everybody says there is no requirement for sponsorship as DV applicant since some years back (I don't know exactly). In fact, if my background is important I am professional here and am "hopping" to get job to live on as soon as I get the work permit. I already have some green lights from my contacts there. Frankly speaking I'am accepting DV just for the sake of my children's futurity in the coming world of fierce competition (you can also comment on this if you have something to say for people like me). This means I don't need sponsor except for the initial settlement time.
So accordingly, for the AoS form, I did not ask the situation of the person I filled in the form. I know the person is a citizen and he has family and is one of the Ethiopian community members living in/around DC. I didn't ask if he pays tax or not. In your argument above, you put me under confusion. You explained how we do it on one hand and you said DV Applicants are self sponsored on the otherhand. Can you put it directly please - not in star quot. What I should do exactly? Should I ask the person if he is paying tax or not, fill the form and send it to me? Can I change if the person I filled in the form before does not satisfy the stated condition? Probably it looks trivial for you guys but for bigeners like me this form is becoming an issue as I read through your comments. Thanks again!

Hi Sm1smom, you have been my hero adviser so far, thank you. I appropriate all the senior members here. You all are supper. Now, initially AoS I134 was not my issue as I take for granted the public information in Addis. Everybody says there is no requirement for sponsorship as DV applicant since some years back (I don't know exactly). In fact, if my background is important I am professional here and am "hopping" to get job to live on as soon as I get the work permit. I already have some green lights from my contacts there. Frankly speaking I'am accepting DV just for the sake of my children's futurity in the coming world of fierce competition (you can also comment on this if you have something to say for people like me). This means I don't need sponsor except for the initial settlement time.
So accordingly, for the AoS form, I did not ask the situation of the person I filled in the form. I know the person is a citizen and he has family and is one of the Ethiopian community members living in/around DC. I didn't ask if he pays tax or not. In your argument above, you put me under confusion. You explained how we do it on one hand and you said DV Applicants are self sponsored on the otherhand. Can you put it directly please - not in star quot. What I should do exactly? Should I ask the person if he is paying tax or not, fill the form and send it to me? Can I change if the person I filled in the form before does not satisfy the stated condition? Probably it looks trivial for you guys but for bigeners like me this form is becoming an issue as I read through your comments. Thanks again!

Okay, where do I start :rolleyes:?

I put asterisks around *sponsor* as a caveat to prevent people from misinterpreting my use of it. And I did explain at the bottom of that post that DV petitions are self sponsored and do not require a sponsor like other immigrant petitions.

The US government does not want immigrants who will come in and become dependent on the government for support - this is otherwise known as becoming a public charge. At the time of the interview the CO is required to confirm that an applicant will not become a public charge and the applicant can overcome his by showing that they have enough personal savings that they will be bringing to the US to help them get started. If the applicant does not have enough money of their own then the CO is required to ask then to present an AOS rather than out rightly deny the application. The US based person providing the applicant with the AOS then becomes known as the sponsor. Now in the case of the Addis Ababa embassy I don't know if all DV applicants are generally required to present an affidavit or they're even asked to show any kind prove regarding financial strength at all, you will have to confirm what the practice is from those who have actually gone through the experience there and not what people on the streets or some agency are saying.

If the person willing to provide the affidavit is not a tax payer or does not meet a certain minimum income level, they do not qualify to act as sponsors. You do not need to ask them if they pay their taxes or not, just present them with the instruction on how to fill the form and if they do not have the required documents then they will let you know in which case you need to find someone else.

Yikes! This has turned out to be such a long winded post :eek:

Okay, where do I start :rolleyes:?

I put asterisks around *sponsor* as a caveat to prevent people from misinterpreting my use of it. And I did explain at the bottom of that post that DV petitions are self sponsored and do not require a sponsor like other immigrant petitions.

The US government does not want immigrants who will come in and become dependent on the government for support - this is otherwise known as becoming a public charge. At the time of the interview the CO is required to confirm that an applicant will not become a public charge and the applicant can overcome his by showing that they have enough personal savings that they will be bringing to the US to help them get started. If the applicant does not have enough money of their own then the CO is required to ask then to present an AOS rather than out rightly deny the application. The US based person providing the applicant with the AOS then becomes known as the sponsor. Now in the case of the Addis Ababa embassy I don't know if all DV applicants are generally required to present an affidavit or they're even asked to show any kind prove regarding financial strength at all, you will have to confirm what the practice is from those who have actually gone through the experience there and not what people on the streets or some agency are saying.

If the person willing to provide the affidavit is not a tax payer or does not meet a certain minimum income level, they do not qualify to act as sponsors. You do not need to ask them if they pay their taxes or not, just present them with the instruction on how to fill the form and if they do not have the required documents then they will let you know in which case you need to find someone else.

Yikes! This has turned out to be such a long winded post :eek:

Wonderful! This is clear now. My main take home here is that I can change the "sponsor" if something goes wrong with the one I registered when I fill the initial DS form. In the meantime I have to work on it before the appointment date.

Wonderful! This is clear now. My main take home here is that I can change the "sponsor" if something goes wrong with the one I registered when I fill the initial DS form. In the meantime I have to work on it before the appointment date.

Correct!

all my friends pls tell me if any one who see or hear 2NL from DV 2015 winners?
and pls tell me if you Know about this affidavit support.Is it a must to fill and present at the interview date?

and pls tell me if you Know about this affidavit support.Is it a must to fill and present at the interview date?

Regarding your 2nd question, read previous posts above. This has been extensively covered.

Not a must,although some Embassies might request.Check whether it is a mandatory requirement in the Embassy you will be interviewed.It is just a guaranteed to show that you are not going to become a public charge(somebody who lives by begging handouts).If you feel unsafe without it during your interview prepare one encase it might be required.

Regarding the 2NL I couldn't find anyone in this forum(2015 winners) from ETH. I have same question too, and is getting the second NL mandatory for medical and police related issues or can I proceed as per the visa bulletin?

thank u yohanmar
Regarding the 2NL I couldn't find anyone in this forum(2015 winners) from ETH. I have same question too, and is getting the second NL mandatory for medical and police related issues or can I proceed as per the visa bulletin?
for your Qnuestion.I advise u to take all medical and police examination after 2NL b/c whenever the notification delay your medical examination period will be expired.since it is vallid for six months.

thank u yohanmar

for your Qnuestion. I.I advise u to take all medical and police examination after 2NL b/c whenever the notification delay your medical examination period will be expired.since it is valid for six months.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Hello.....
I sent an email to KCC asking my interview date ( because my case number is AF00002*** and filled Ds 260 on june 1st)
They replied me yesterday that my case is currently under processing and told me to check visa bulletin at 15th of every month
Does it mean I have no chance of having interview in october ?