• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2015 DV Winners from Zimbabwe

Interview update: Visa approved!
It was a long wait as they were trying to figure out this type of visa as the consulate in Jamaica does not ordinarily process DV's.
Very simple questions mostly to do with were we lived previously. Actual interview was about 4 minutes.
They asked for standard documents - police clearance, birth certificates, marriage certificates and high school certificates.
Returning to pick up tomorrow and enter US there after.
Thank you to all the moderators who gave so much time and information on this site. We answered all our questions by reading EVERYTHING! You guys are awesome!

Congratulations

Hi @Britsimon, update of visa process: We received our DV visa's today and discovered an error on my wife's visa relating to her nationality and they said we can come and collect the passport of monday morning with the change. We had booked tickets for Saturday morning and want to check if you think its ok if I (principle applicant) travel as planned to the US and my wife follows on Tuesday once she gets her passport.

Hi @Britsimon, update of visa process: We received our DV visa's today and discovered an error on my wife's visa relating to her nationality and they said we can come and collect the passport of monday morning with the change. We had booked tickets for Saturday morning and want to check if you think its ok if I (principle applicant) travel as planned to the US and my wife follows on Tuesday once she gets her passport.

You can do that, yes.

Great news we received our green cards today! Its exactly a month since we landed and this has been the easiest stress fee process ever! We're now fully settled and soaking in the last days of warm weather before fall comes our way brrrr...

@Britsimon @SusieQQQ After stalking this forum since may :) and studying the DV website I've put together the list below of documents we require and need to take to the interview. Please could you check the list below of required documents and make sure its ok?

1. DS 260 submission confirmation pages
2. Letter confirming lottery selection
3. Interview letter from status check page
4. Medical exam - scheduled for sept 8th
5. Original police clearance certificates for both of us from our home country and two other countries
6. Original birth certificates (Long) for both of us with 2 notarized copies
7. Passports for both of us
8. Photographs - 6 each for medicals and interview
9. Marriage Certificate Original and notarized copies x 2
10. High school certificate (O-level certificates with 7 passes and a-level certificates with 3 passes) with 2 notarized copies I also have an email from the Harare Zimbabwe embassy which states that this is sufficient incase the Jamaican embassy is not familiar with the high school certificates in Zimbabwe
11. DHL registration confirmation (requirement for Jamaican visa)
12. Copy of bank statements showing sufficient savings for both of us

Thanks!
Hi

Thank you for the detailed information,how much savings does one need when going for an interview,,,

Hi Ronald,

The general guideline is $10,000 per person.
We were not asked for bank statements during our interview (we did our interview in Jamaica)
Based on experiences of other African countries (read Kenya and Ghana threads), if you have a host in the US who is willing to host you and you can live with whilst you set yourself up then they generally will not need the banks statements showing savings but I'm not sure if this is the standard in at the Harare consulate.
You can also ask a family member or friends who already live in the US to be your sponsor and fill in a affidavit of support (AOS) for you. @Britsimon can give more insight on what forms needs to be filled in and additional documentation required.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the group.I havn't received my 2NL yet as my number isn't current yet.When i applied for the lottery i listed my spouse with her maiden name and listed our date of marriage as 29 sept.... which was our date of customary marriage.When it came time to fill in the DS260 we had gotten married at the courts and my spouse is now using my surname and i filled in the date of marriage that appears on our marriage certificate.Will this coz a problem come interview day?

If you do this at the US Embassy in Zim they should have a level of appreciation for customary marriage in Zimbabwe. You should probably prepare a few things to support that order of events e.g. do you have any documents to support the customary marriage? Carry more proof of your marriage in the courts, e.g. certificate, any photos, combined bank accounts if you have them and anything to prove that you are legitimately married (and not married for convenience). I'm sure the other team members will chime in.

thanx for the response,we've got an affidavit for the customary marriage and a certificate for the court marriage, as well as pictures.

will be glad if britsimons can assist me with the number slected frm Zimbabwe and out of that number those who hav bn scheduled for now

So there is a very high refusal rate looking at these small numbers.i wonder what were the reasons...

So there is a very high refusal rate looking at these small numbers.i wonder what were the reasons...

I noticed that high proportion, but it's hard to draw proper conclusions from a handful of cases.
Do you happen to know if the Harare embassy asks about savings etc or is otherwise focused on public charge issues? I can't think of any other "common" reason why there should be refusals there.

My brother went through this process about 6 years back he told me that they were so particular about the AOS.maybe that could be reason since it's hard for many people to prove that they are financially capable to look after themselves due to our weak economic system which mainly made up of the informal sector.People don't put their monies in banks they prefer holding them in cash somewhere so it's a huge task trying to prove that u do have Enough savings to the CO with no documentation .this has got me scared.

My brother went through this process about 6 years back he told me that they were so particular about the AOS.maybe that could be reason since it's hard for many people to prove that they are financially capable to look after themselves due to our weak economic system which mainly made up of the informal sector.People don't put their monies in banks they prefer holding them in cash somewhere so it's a huge task trying to prove that u do have Enough savings to the CO with no documentation .this has got me scared.

Yes, I thought that might be a reason :(
Do you have a degree or some experience that you can try use to show the CO you will get work?
By the way, did your brother get through? Do you have someone to do an AOS if you needed?

if you have a friend or relative in the US who can write an affidavit for you,would that be a waiver for not having enough funds in you banking account?

Yes m
Yes, I thought that might be a reason :(
Do you have a degree or some experience that you can try use to show the CO you will get work?
By the way, did your brother get through? Do you have someone to do an AOS if you needed?
yes my brother can fill the AOS for he is now in the States he went thru the same programme 5 years back...l also have a diploma in education and a Bachelors Degree

You should be fine then. Good luck!!
One more question .i unlocked my ds260 on the 19th of March 2015 to edit my passport number as I lost the one I had on my initial application .Taking into consideration case number which is af52*** can this have an effect on my interview date or I'm within the right time?