• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

When I called KCC, I asked whether I should just attach the photo to the email. She said to cut the photo out, stick it to the top left corner of the DS-230 Part I form where there's an empty box, and scan the whole lot as one document.

When I emailed them I attached scans of the DS-230 Parts I and II (one PDF), the DSP-122 (separate PDF), an electronic copy of the photo and a JPEG of my first notification letter with the barcode on it.

Damn...wish I'd known you could do it electronically. I just sent everything off this afternoon.

Did she tell you what dpi setting the page had to be scanned at to ensure the quality of the photo?

Nope, and I didn't think to ask. In any case it was fairly high-res and I attached the original digital copy of the photo anyway.

I guess I'll find out whether it's good enough or not when they confirm they've got the documents.

Please keep us updated on your progress Crawf.... Have you by chance found any other forums for Aussies regarding the DV

Well just hours after I signed up here, KCC has emailed me and confirmed it has received my initial paperwork and "will be included in your case file for review".

That was bloody quick too - three US business days since I emailed it on Wednesday morning (Kentucky time).

I've now replied to ask whether I should proceed to start gathering all the other stuff I need. Phew!

Wow so thats what I am going to have to do I think. At least that way I will know that everything has been received and is all good.

My partner and I had planned to move to London this year; as my case number is 24xx I assume I wont be getting interviewed until mid next year. We are thinking of continuing with our plan to move to London in the meantime.

Can I change my interview to a consulate over in London once we are set up over there?

Yes. Just contact them to tell them you have moved from Oz and would like to be processed in London. Do it as early as possible though and follow up. I'm not sure, though, whether you will need to contact KCC (who do the initial processing), or the US consulate in Sydney who take over after KCC. Depends on the timing. I would do both. Always quote your case number in any correspondence. I moved to Canada just before last year's selection and I had no problem changing my interview to Montreal from Sydney. Good luck!

Well just hours after I signed up here, KCC has emailed me and confirmed it has received my initial paperwork and "will be included in your case file for review".

That was bloody quick too - three US business days since I emailed it on Wednesday morning (Kentucky time).

I've now replied to ask whether I should proceed to start gathering all the other stuff I need. Phew!

Don't get too excited. They've received it but it'll probably take a month before they get to yours. I called them last year after I sent them my forms and was told they get thousands of applications a day and it takes at least a month to get to it after it's received. I checked back in 5 weeks and was told then that they had just processed my forms and everything was good.

As far as gathering the other stuff, just make sure you've got the basic personal documents (i.e., a full birth certificate and not an extract) and maybe look into how and where to get the police report, to be prepared. Here's some info:
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4760.html
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=8957

You don't get your medical done til you get an interview confirmed. The medical report is valid for only 6 months and I believe the panel doctors only take you in if you've got an interview date. That's the way it was with me, but I had my interview in Canada. Can't remember from the other OC DV2013 discussions I've had with other Aussies if it was the same for them in Oz but pretty sure it's the same everywhere. Look into how up to date you are with your shots - DTaP in particular. May as well get that now if you haven't had one in yonks.

I have been selected for further processing (lucky as it was my first time) I think my case number is a little higher than Ideal but I am not totally familiar with how the whole procedure works. Just to be safe I got my photos and forms all filled out and sent off by courier today to the Kentucky Consular Center. my case number is 2014OC00002Xxx so I understand that they go in sequential order of numbers. Does that mean there are 2000 people in front of me or is it a random sequence meaning there are gaps in the numbering?
Yes, it's in order but it's likely not 2,000 in front of you. Some apply just for fun but then don't pursue it, others change their minds about pursuing it, and some get rejected for various reasons. I wouldn't give up hope.

What is the best estimate on what chance I have of an interview. Is it true selection numbers are higher this year and would that mean Australia may have more people being issued with cards this year, or is it more likely that those with high numbers may not get to interview? (anybody know Australians in previous years who was selected but missed out on interview?)

No idea. It sure is different this year, with larger numbers for all regions but we won't really know until August, when the October numbers are published, how things will progress. So don't worry about it til then.

Is it the procedure to now wait until you are notified before doing anything further? would you not organise any medicals etc until such time as you know you have an interview? Im not worried about the actual interview as I meet all requirements both in terms of education and work history etc just concerned some of us may never get to interview. Do people ever get selected for interview out of case number sequence?

Yes, you wait but in the meantime, make sure you have all the necessary documents. I just wrote a reply to another Aussie here, check that. No, you don't organize medicals yet.

When numbers become listed as current do they get in contact with you for an interview or do I need to call them to arrange it?

A few days after your case number becomes current, as per the Visa Bulletin, you'll get a 'no-reply' email advising you to check for your updates online using your confirmation number. So you do that and you'll get the info for the next step.

Also at what point do visa fees become payable is it only if we are issued a visa at the interview?

No, it's payable at your interview, whether you get issued a visa or not. You pay the $330 Diversity Visa processing fee at the consulate. Then after you get your GC but before you enter the US, there's another fee: $165 for the USCIS Immigration Visa Processing Fee. You pay that online with a credit card.

All the best!

Don't get too excited

Yeah no I'm not haha. I know just how long it takes the bureaucratic wheels to grind and how many applications they process. Just relieved that they've confirmed the receipt of my forms in such short time.

It's nice to hear I might be able to change my interview point too - thanks for that Vichel. Although I might be pushing it by asking to do it while I'm over there on the VWP I guess.

Yes. Just contact them to tell them you have moved from Oz and would like to be processed in London. Do it as early as possible though and follow up. I'm not sure, though, whether you will need to contact KCC (who do the initial processing), or the US consulate in Sydney who take over after KCC. Depends on the timing. I would do both. Always quote your case number in any correspondence. I moved to Canada just before last year's selection and I had no problem changing my interview to Montreal from Sydney. Good luck!

Wonderful, thanks. Yes, as soon as we are locked in for London I will call KCC — hopefully July/August.

Yeah no I'm not haha. I know just how long it takes the bureaucratic wheels to grind and how many applications they process. Just relieved that they've confirmed the receipt of my forms in such short time.

It's nice to hear I might be able to change my interview point too - thanks for that Vichel. Although I might be pushing it by asking to do it while I'm over there on the VWP I guess.

Yeah, it's all pretty exciting and nerve-wracking, so you're happy with every little step forward in the excruciatingly long process. I know, been there, done that. Still pretty chuffed about the whole thing. Just did our POE last week but it's still not sunk in yet. Been to the US so many times for holiday that it still feels like we're on holiday.

About changing your interview, not sure about you since you'll be in the US as a tourist on the VWP. I'm pretty sure Consular Processing (CP) has to be outside the US, only AOS can be in the US and that's only for certain visas. I don't think VWP cuts it, sorry, but you can always ask. All the best!

I have been selected for the DV 2014 lottery & was wondering if anyone knew if i could go to the USA before my green card interview?

About changing your interview, not sure about you since you'll be in the US as a tourist on the VWP. I'm pretty sure Consular Processing (CP) has to be outside the US, only AOS can be in the US and that's only for certain visas. I don't think VWP cuts it, sorry, but you can always ask. All the best!

That's what I suspected. Never mind. It'll give me a chance to come back and see my folks for a couple of weeks before I go back (touch wood)!

We're in the DV2014 winners list

My wife managed to pick up a winning entry this year... CN is in the mid 9xx range. I'm guessing we'll get an interview late this year or early next year? Forms completed and dispatched by DHL, and according to the tracking info, delivered on Friday 10 May.

Oh the stress!!!

Hi all!

First time poster, but been lurking the past few days. Anyways, after having entered the GC lottery twice before with no success (it seems so instant when that rejection letter comes up after clicking submit), I'd completely forgotten about checking the results this year. Checked it on Sunday and I was finally selected this time!! I sat there for minutes dead-silent and gob smacked!

I'm already in the US on a student visa. Got all my things organized this weekend... application, photos, etc.. and everything should arrive at the KCC tomorrow.

Anyways, the whole process of getting my paperwork in has turned me into one neurotic, stressed-out mess!!! Is my passport photo ok (after going to three different places for photos!), did I fill everything out correctly, what order should I stack the paperwork, what type of postage should I use, will anything be damaged in the post, will my entry be cancelled completely if anything is out of order in my application. I now have three "rejected" sets of photos adorning the fridge (though any reasonable person would have thought any of them would have been fine).

Then of course I move on to the next thing... What police certificate do I need, where are my vaccination records (does anyone actually keep theirs??), the list goes on and on. What makes things worse is all the bad and outdated information that is out there. I need a stiff drink and a lie-down! When I'm done stressing about one thing, I look for the next! I know this forum will be a good support to have over the coming year.

Also, out of curiosity, when do you think is a reasonable time to call KCC to confirm my application has been received? And do I receive any confirmation/receipt? I'm guessing everything is now completely electronic? ie, I should receive an email asking me to log in to the status check page??

Anyway, I'm off to design the cover to my "green card journey folder"... need to do something to distract me from stressing!!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
High CN

G'day all,

Aussie currently living and working in the states on H1B.
Checked my DV online and noticed that I was selected for the next step.

My CN is OC2800's. Seems pretty high. Your thoughts on my chances for a green card?

offered chizhow

Hey guys and gals, just thought I'd throw in my details so far.
First time applying, and my CN is below 60, which according to what I've read on these forums may be the lowest number here.
I emailed through my documents about 2 weeks ago, and received a confirmation about 2 days later.
I've started putting together all the civil documents required, and I'm currently waiting on my Police Check certificate in the mail.

I guess I just need to wait until August to hear more. Good luck to everyone else here.

Last edited by a moderator: