• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

New here and selected for further processing!

I have been selected for further processing (lucky as it was my first time) I think my case number is a little higher than Ideal but I am not totally familiar with how the whole procedure works. Just to be safe I got my photos and forms all filled out and sent off by courier today to the Kentucky Consular Center. my case number is 2014OC00002Xxx so I understand that they go in sequential order of numbers. Does that mean there are 2000 people in front of me or is it a random sequence meaning there are gaps in the numbering?

What is the best estimate on what chance I have of an interview. Is it true selection numbers are higher this year and would that mean Australia may have more people being issued with cards this year, or is it more likely that those with high numbers may not get to interview? (anybody know Australians in previous years who was selected but missed out on interview?)

Is it the procedure to now wait until you are notified before doing anything further? would you not organise any medicals etc until such time as you know you have an interview? Im not worried about the actual interview as I meet all requirements both in terms of education and work history etc just concerned some of us may never get to interview. Do people ever get selected for interview out of case number sequence?

When numbers become listed as current do they get in contact with you for an interview or do I need to call them to arrange it?

Also at what point do visa fees become payable is it only if we are issued a visa at the interview?

Sorry for the list of questions, hoping it will be of use to others too.
Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tracey71,

Sorry I don't know how to private message here! (I'm new and stupid!), but thanks very much for the reply and the info - yes I think it would be a good idea to keep in touch and share information during this process given we are in very similar situations and have almost identical problems/ fortunes!

I read another of your posts in another thread about the issue of 'intent' with the E-3 visa. I've been on the phone to the KCC for about 2 hours talking to 2 different people and still can't get a straight answer. It seems that the very definition of the E-3 contradicts itself with regard to dual intent, but yes I am nervous about showing intent (by sending my forms to the KCC) and that looking bad should I want to renew my E-3 visa. I should go find a lawyer and figure it all out, but I'm stubborn and like to try and navigate my way through these things without them - I have a feeling there is always a lot of fear associated with visa processing and we feel obliged to spend more on the process than we should. But I guess it is a very important situation!

Would liked to have been able to go to Canada just because I did my E-3 there last year in June (was transitioning from OPT extension of F-1 to E-3), and was pretty easy.

Hi AU2014, it sounds like we're in very similar situations. I'm also currently in US with E-3 status, I-94 expires July 2014, and CN is 2014OC000011XX.

I spoke with an immigration lawyer today, and for various reasons have decided I will return to Australia and go through the CP process.

For CP, my understanding is it should be done in country of residency. Since you're in US on an E-3, you are a "visitor" in the US, not a "resident". If your country of residency prior to coming to US was Canada, you may be able to do it there. But I suspect you probably came here directly from Australia - if so, you should do CP in Aus. Bear in mind though, I am not an immigration lawyer, and am basing this on what I have learnt in the past week - I could be wrong. My advice is to consult a lawyer before making any decisions as to how to proceed.

If you want to PM me, please do. I think the number of people in our position (already in US on E-3 and also selected in the lottery) must be very small, it would be great to share experiences and advice.

In any case, good luck!

So its ok to write "To be advised" in the American address etc when sending in the applications and then letting them know where you intend to stay during the interview.

The other question I have is... I won a visa for myself and my 17 year old daughter. She is intending to go to university here in Australia next year. Do I still put in an application for her? Or do I just apply for myself even though I put her on the intial green card entry form. At the time of entry she was intending to come to america with me but as she is very likely to be accepted in the university she wants she has indicated she would prefer to stay behind.

Do I fill out a form for her.

The other question I have is... I won a visa for myself and my 17 year old daughter. She is intending to go to university here in Australia next year. Do I still put in an application for her? Or do I just apply for myself even though I put her on the intial green card entry form. At the time of entry she was intending to come to america with me but as she is very likely to be accepted in the university she wants she has indicated she would prefer to stay behind.

Do I fill out a form for her.

I would apply for her too. It is possible that by the time you have your interview, she will be nearly completed one year of study.

With a re entry permit, she could enter with you and make a more permanent move once she has finished study.

I would research this option further in order to keep her options open.

Thank you Dafang. I probably will apply for her as well, my concern though was that she will be studying and not in America for any great length of time... only to come and visit me till she graduates. After that though she is interested in coming to stay.

Thank you Dafang. I probably will apply for her as well, my concern though was that she will be studying and not in America for any great length of time... only to come and visit me till she graduates. After that though she is interested in coming to stay.

(Long time lurker, first time poster, take my advice with a grain of salt)

I think your best bet is to put your daughter on the forms now and try to get her the Green Card, she'd probably have to revisit America periodically (during semester break, once a year at least but preferably more). The main problem they have with people coming and going is if they have no connections to the US but a parent should be a pretty good one. I found this link you can look at but I don't know if it's up-to-date (it's 2 years old)
Can a U.S. lawful permanent resident leave multiple times and return?

The problem with NOT getting her the Green Card now is that if she wants one later it'll be a harder and much MUCH longer process.

But again, everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm not an expert and in any situation the best advice is to talk with KCC or a lawyer.

Well after lurking for a week or two I thought I'd weigh in.

Congratulations to everyone else in the lucky bunch who've made it through to the selectee stage. I guess I'm pretty charmed as this is the first time I've ever entered and I came up with a very low case number - 2014OC0000030x.

I also nearly peed a little when I logged in two Thursdays ago, fully expecting to see a rejection and instead seeing those magical words.

It changes my plans a little as I was already organising sponsorship on an E3 visa through a friend's company to move to Rhode Island later this year. Instead I'll now take a two-month vacation on the Visa Waiver Program come August, return home for my (presumed) October-ish interview then head back there with green card in hand if all goes according to plan. I'd already started organising a move over there anyway so this is just a pleasant hiccup!

I've submitted all my forms to KCC via email (after confirming on two separate occasions that electronically was acceptable) but I'm yet to receive confirmation. I'll give them a few more days before I call to confirm as I imagine they'd be pretty swamped.

I'm 27, single, no kids and in Brisbane for reference. I've trawled through the 18+ pages of the 2013 selectees thread and it's full of really good information. If you haven't, I'd really recommend it. I'm a massive planner though and prefer to know exactly what to expect every step of the way haha.

Hi everyone,

Another Aussie (Brisbane) selectee here!

Bit of a different question...

My partner and I had planned to move to London this year; as my case number is 24xx I assume I wont be getting interviewed until mid next year. We are thinking of continuing with our plan to move to London in the meantime.

Can I change my interview to a consulate over in London once we are set up over there?

If my gc is successful I'll then move to New York. Partner didn't get selected in the lottery, so I guess we'll figure out what to do with him further down the line.

mijoro... aussie uni's have off campus online modes of teaching, with the right to take exams in any major city in the world. Your daughter could stay enrolled in aussie uni and live in the US piece of cake.

Can I change my interview to a consulate over in London once we are set up over there?

I've been doing quite a bit of reading over the last few days and I haven't seen anything with regards to this sjlm.

Ideally I'd like to be able to do it too, since I'll be in the US anyway around the time (October-November) when my interview is likely to come up.

I've nominated Sydney for my interview obviously, but once I get confirmation that KCC has my paperwork I might just drop a line and see whether it's possible to do it via the USCIS when I'm in the country.

It's probably unlikely given I would assume they schedule the interviews at your first nominated consulate well in advance, but it can't hurt to try!

Well after lurking for a week or two I thought I'd weigh in.

Congratulations to everyone else in the lucky bunch who've made it through to the selectee stage. I guess I'm pretty charmed as this is the first time I've ever entered and I came up with a very low case number - 2014OC0000030x.

I also nearly peed a little when I logged in two Thursdays ago, fully expecting to see a rejection and instead seeing those magical words.

It changes my plans a little as I was already organising sponsorship on an E3 visa through a friend's company to move to Rhode Island later this year. Instead I'll now take a two-month vacation on the Visa Waiver Program come August, return home for my (presumed) October-ish interview then head back there with green card in hand if all goes according to plan. I'd already started organising a move over there anyway so this is just a pleasant hiccup!

I've submitted all my forms to KCC via email (after confirming on two separate occasions that electronically was acceptable) but I'm yet to receive confirmation. I'll give them a few more days before I call to confirm as I imagine they'd be pretty swamped.

I'm 27, single, no kids and in Brisbane for reference. I've trawled through the 18+ pages of the 2013 selectees thread and it's full of really good information. If you haven't, I'd really recommend it. I'm a massive planner though and prefer to know exactly what to expect every step of the way haha.

Yay another Queenslander. I think your number is the lowest I have seen for Australia so congratulations on that. How did you get your photos done?

If you emailed in your forms did you get your photos done at a place that is able to take the pics to the requirements of the documents. I must go through and read the hundreds of pages of info in the 2013 thread. I have been meaning to I swear I just havent had time.

Let us know when you hear back from them and congratulations again.

Yay another Queenslander. I think your number is the lowest I have seen for Australia so congratulations on that.

Yeah it's one of the lowest I've seen on this forum so far. Pretty chuffed. I didn't really realise the significance of it until I saw something in a thread on Reddit and suddenly felt like my chances were a little better.

How did you get your photos done?

My housemate is a photographer with a stack of lighting gear. She took them for me against a white background, to US Government proportions suggested on the website, printed them proportionally on photo paper and cut to size.

If you emailed in your forms did you get your photos done at a place that is able to take the pics to the requirements of the documents. I must go through and read the hundreds of pages of info in the 2013 thread. I have been meaning to I swear I just havent had time.

I'm pretty sure that any store that advertises photos for international passports (I'd be trying in Brisbane city, personally) will have a way of doing them to 2"x2" proportions. That's what I've heard about Sydney places too.

When I called KCC, I asked whether I should just attach the photo to the email. She said to cut the photo out, stick it to the top left corner of the DS-230 Part I form where there's an empty box, and scan the whole lot as one document.

When I emailed them I attached scans of the DS-230 Parts I and II (one PDF), the DSP-122 (separate PDF), an electronic copy of the photo and a JPEG of my first notification letter with the barcode on it.

Wow what a time saver I think I am going to have to do that. I did buy an Australian Post International Express envelope but I think the way you have done it is much more efficient. Plus it gives me proof of what I have actually sent in.

mijoro... aussie uni's have off campus online modes of teaching, with the right to take exams in any major city in the world. Your daughter could stay enrolled in aussie uni and live in the US piece of cake.

This is what I'm planning to do - I'm about 3/4 of the way through a Diploma course, the qualification I'd come out with is actually recognised in the US (and multiple other countries), which is nice. I'm already studying online/off-campus as I work full time, so all I'd really be doing is changing the country I'm logging in from. Although the fees will be higher, since I won't be getting the govt. subsidy I do here.

Did she tell you what dpi setting the page had to be scanned at to ensure the quality of the photo?

This is what I'm planning to do - I'm about 3/4 of the way through a Diploma course, the qualification I'd come out with is actually recognised in the US (and multiple other countries), which is nice. I'm already studying online/off-campus as I work full time, so all I'd really be doing is changing the country I'm logging in from. Although the fees will be higher, since I won't be getting the govt. subsidy I do here.

I study via Open Education as well Smeggs. I am planning on continuing that as well.