• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

You are correct. Numbers like that used to be hidden in previous lotteries

It always seemed stupid to hide numbers. I bet many people didn't realize they could try later and just chucked their confirmation numbers and forgot about it. The DV has been going on for years, you'd think they'd be able to gauge the progress of cases after a few years. I think there have been several years where they didn't give out all 50k visas.

They had the first second batch about 1998, so that year they already had hidden numbers. However, in prior years the lottery was not electronic. So, they just received paper mail if they were selected or during additional batches

Okay thanks for that interesting info, and I suppose we should not continue derailing this thread :eek: Sorry DV2014 winners! :D

Low/high numbers

I have been select for 2014 (through my wife). Case No. 2014OC00001XXX (between 1200 -1400). I'm guessing that we might get an interview in July-Augusts 2014 with a number this high.

Case No. 2014OC00001XXX
2NL:
Medicals:
Police Check:
Interview:

Dan, I'm in your position - have a number between 1200 and 1400 as well. I thought this was pretty low? I spoke with a friend yesterday who won the lottery last year, and when I told him the number he said, yeah, you'll be fine, you should be interviewed in March 2014 or so. Is this not the case?

Hi :)

Hi everyone,

I'm an Australian who was lucky to have been selected. I also moved quickly & sent the required paperwork the following day after results were available.

Just a few questions...

- Does anyone know how long it takes for KCC to establish interview dates & with my below number do i have a good chance in obtaining one? Im hearing that its around October the same year but others seem to be late the following year..

- I didn't finish my High School education but have a Diploma in Hospitality Management & am in my final year of University studying my Bachelor of Business majoring in HR, is that enough?

- I hear that its not a good idea to say having a partner in the states is a good idea when being interviewed by immigration. Any ideas why?

- Are showing financials necessary in the interview? I looked back in an 09 thread and it seems you need $14k

Case No - 2014OC000017XX
Entry Checked - 1st May 2013
Forms Sent To KCC - 2nd May 2013
Port of Entry - New York JFK

tantantan

I saw your post in another thread.

You are in a bit of trouble with the education. If you can find the Australian 2012 thread you will find the story of a guy who was refused in a similar situation to your own. I believe he had a diploma too.

If your degree was finished at the time of your entry, you may be fine. Since it isn't, you failed to meet the education requirements at the time of your entry which is a big strike.

Hi guys,

Another winner here, except from across the ditch in NZ.

My case no is 2014OC000028** so i think most people are in a similar boat?

I submitted my forms through yesterday, no problem answering the questions, but one problem I have is that the photo place I used gave me the wrong sized photos, not 2in x 2in.

I am wondering if this is going to be a problem with the KCC, or if I can resend them or bring in new ones if I get an interview scheduled. What do you all reckon? Any experience? I cant actually find any information stating if you submit the wrong type photo that it results in a disqualification except for the initial entry into the lottery (i.e prior to selection)

I think you could re send them. Just email them and tell them the error and they will tell you what to do.

Don't stress

I think you could re send them. Just email them and tell them the error and they will tell you what to do.

Don't stress

I have to say, this is the one thing I wasn't expecting throughout the whole winning thing - is the stress. Whilst it's been exciting to win, just so many unanswered questions, and not getting information available quickly enough etc... all that plus the fact you don't actually know whether your gonna get it at the end of the whole process even an interview date etc...

I have to say, this is the one thing I wasn't expecting throughout the whole winning thing - is the stress. Whilst it's been exciting to win, just so many unanswered questions, and not getting information available quickly enough etc... all that plus the fact you don't actually know whether your gonna get it at the end of the whole process even an interview date etc...

The key for me is not letting it take over my life - until the interview letter happens its life as per normal for me. Just packed away the jetski for the end of this summer season, working my *** off doing a job i love,have a Perisher season pass and am looking forward to winter in a few weeks.

The more I keep things normal, the more sanity I will retain I think. So whilst the notification was awesome news, I've sent the paper work off ad it's out of my hands now :)

My boyfriend was selected for further processing (but I wasn't, oh no!)

Hi everyone,

Another Australian winner here! Kind of...

My long-term boyfriend and I both applied to the lottery, and he was selected for further processing. We are now having to think about getting married ASAP, which is a bit scary, although we were planning on doing it anyway eventually, but maybe not so soon! I have a few questions, and was hoping you lovely and knowledgeable people could help me.

His batch number is 2014OC000023XX, if that's relevant at all.

1) Can he send off the first batch of forms to Kentucky, without us being married yet, or should we wait till we've got married, then send off the paper work together. And would waiting this long disadvantage him?

I'm worried that he'll have to wait till late-June if we want to send them off as a married couple (the earliest we can do it with a 1 month waiting period, and bringing his parents over from inter-state etc).

I know that we have to inform the state department that we have gotten married in the interim, and that we'll have to prove our relationship is real etc, but I don't want his application to be disadvantaged because he submitted the forms late!

2) Does anyone know the acceptance rates from past years for Australia specifically? I know that there are 125,000 are selected for further processing, and only 55,000 get selected, so it's obviously not 100% acceptance world wide, but I'd be curious to know how much that percentage applies to Australian applicants (if anyone knows!)

3) And a last, and probably very basic question... what are all these batches that everyone talks about for interviews? Does anyone know if his 2014OC000023xx number is good/bad/doesn't matter?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, and good luck with everyone else's applications!

xx Katie

Dan, I'm in your position - have a number between 1200 and 1400 as well. I thought this was pretty low? I spoke with a friend yesterday who won the lottery last year, and when I told him the number he said, yeah, you'll be fine, you should be interviewed in March 2014 or so. Is this not the case?

It's very different this year so I don't think we'll know the answer until the beginning of August. That's when they'll release the September Visa Bulletin which will show the Advance Notification for DV2014 October cut-offs.

For DV2013, my interview was in March and my case number was in the low 700s. If the case numbers progress similarly to previous years, then I doubt you'll be interviewed in March. This year June's cut-off is 1275. But I'm thinking the cut-off numbers will start higher and rise faster, to get through the high case-numbers we're seeing. If that's the case, then around April could be a possibility for you.

I could write this word for word. I was ecstatic the first couple of days, now I'm just so stressed already! This is going to be a rollercoaster of a year, clearly.

Good luck to us all.

1) Can he send off the first batch of forms to Kentucky, without us being married yet, or should we wait till we've got married, then send off the paper work together. And would waiting this long disadvantage him?

I'm worried that he'll have to wait till late-June if we want to send them off as a married couple (the earliest we can do it with a 1 month waiting period, and bringing his parents over from inter-state etc).

I know that we have to inform the state department that we have gotten married in the interim, and that we'll have to prove our relationship is real etc, but I don't want his application to be disadvantaged because he submitted the forms late!

Sending the forms off in late-June is not too late, or late at all. They got mine in July and my case-number was in the low 700s. I got my interview and GC, no delay, no problems, no worries.

From other selectees' experiences I've read, it seems it is better to get married first and send the forms off as a married couple. Otherwise, your partner gets the GC then has to sponsor you as a wife, which isn't as easy or quick as the DV. Search the forum for those experiences. Just make sure you've got lots of proof that you've been a couple before selection - photos and documents.

2) Does anyone know the acceptance rates from past years for Australia specifically? I know that there are 125,000 are selected for further processing, and only 55,000 get selected, so it's obviously not 100% acceptance world wide, but I'd be curious to know how much that percentage applies to Australian applicants (if anyone knows!)

Total OC DVs issued in 2012 was 562; Australia's share of that was 292; out of 2,001 selected for the entire OC region.
In 2011, 578 for OC, and 275 for Oz; out of 1,600 selected. Highest for Oz was 331 in 2005, lowest was 99 in 2002.

Tiny when you think about it but there are some who apply on a whim, for a laugh, with no intention of pursuing it. Others change their mind. And others don't pass the interview for some reason or another. Not sure of those percentages, would be curious to know that.

3) And a last, and probably very basic question... what are all these batches that everyone talks about for interviews? Does anyone know if his 2014OC000023xx number is good/bad/doesn't matter?

Case-number is a better term for what you're referring to, if I understand correctly. "Batch" relates to them selecting a first batch of selectees, with notifications, but holding back some in case the uptake isn't what they expected. But it seems they've just selected one batch this time, so no point talking about batches anymore.

As far as whether your partner's case-number of 23xx is good or not - I don't think we'll know til August when they release the first cut-offs for October DV2014 interviews, to get an idea of how the numbers might progress.

Congratulations and Good luck!

2400 CN here

I'm another winner here, 4th time lucky (over a 10 year period, didn't apply every year)

I've known so many people to win and some of them have said that the CN doesn't actually mean anything, but not sure... I guess now that my paperwork is in it's just a matter of waiting. It sucks cause I want to go sooner obviously but the longer I stay the more money I can save, especially now I know it is going to happen.

Does anyone know how much the numbers creep up month to month on the Visa bulletin? I noticed that May is set to 1115 for OC and then June is forecast to 1275...does this mean that theoretically it goes up 160 CN's per month? In that case a 2400 CN is looking at Jan/Feb, right?

I didn't realise it was going to require me to do so much math, I just thought the sooner you get your papers in the better lol but hey, the hard part is over right?

I just looked at the last few years of bulletins and did an estiment. With the higher case numbers this year it might be early. We will have a better idea after the October 2014 bulletin is released.

Thanks so much!

Hi AU.Dan,

Thanks so much for that, especially for the first part - I've been very stressed about sending the forms off in time, and it's a relief to know that it won't be too late already! We're definitely planning to get married before he gets issued the green card - from what I've been reading on the forums, if he gets issued one and we're not married, I could have to wait for 3+ years!

And yup, I plan on making a scrapbook of our relationship - from first movie we saw together, to our recent trip we took! A bit cheesy, but I'd rather have them think that I'm a bit OCD, than question if we're actually married.

Thanks so much, you've helped a lot!

Katie