• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Also, when I submit Affidavit of supports do I need to submit the original copy or notarized photocopy should work?

The original copy needs to be submitted, you keep the copy for your records.

The B/C that I submitted has all the mentioned information. The only problem is timely registration, since new B/C issued in 2012 so it way passed the registration time. Again, registrar didn't mention anything about my lost B/C. He just issued new B/C as a new registration.

I don't think 'timely registration' has something to do with this. People get new B/C all the time, without it referencing a previously issued on. I got a new long form B/C after my DV selection, it wasn't an issue.

Hello, everybody!
First , huge Thank you for the people that started this thread and have been giving us answers, it has been a huge help for us !
I want to share my experience and ask a couple of questions.
Our case was current in April, EU00019xxx, we applied earlier so the I485 approved on March 7, biometrics completed on March 29. Since then we got our EAD cards on May 9,2017. We are with Chicago Field Office. Still waiting for the Interview letter.
We also went for an Infopass on June 8, but had a bad experience with an old lady that said she doesn't know anything, she didn't even use the computer (we asked about background check and if file requested by FO), and she said she will pass our info to her supervisor but can't guarantee he will get back to us. (he didn't)
Since then we've called KCC and they told us that our file was not requested yet.
I know that Chicago FO works slow , but at this point we started to worry if we will make it in time until FY ends. I did the online inquiry and I am thinking to contact our local congressman about our case.
We've scheduled another Infopass for July 3rd, in hope that we will be more lucky this time.
Questions: 1. Does the USCIS knows that our AOS is based on DV lottery (aware of deadline) or we are the ones to point that out to them?
2.We didn't submit DS260, and that means we will not get 2NL , correct? ( because we didn't)
3. Please let us know if you have any other advice for us , to make this work.
Thanks a lot for your help !!!
With our deepest gratitude

Last edited:
The B/C that I submitted has all the mentioned information. The only problem is timely registration, since new B/C issued in 2012 so it way passed the registration time. Again, registrar didn't mention anything about my lost B/C. He just issued new B/C as a new registration.

So what exactly does the RFE ask for then? What does it mean by "verification"? Does it have an official stamp or whatever your country usually uses to show that it is indeed a true official document? Is there any reason for the FO to think it is not a genuine document?

As I said before and as mom said, many people get new BCs issued for DV/immigration purposes. The date of issue is not the problem

Hello, everybody!
First , huge Thank you for the people that started this thread and have been giving us answers, it has been a huge help for us !
I want to share my experience and ask a couple of questions.
Our case was current in April, EU00019xxx, we applied earlier so the I485 approved on March 7, biometrics completed on March 29. Since then we got our EAD cards on May 9,2017. We are with Chicago Field Office. Still waiting for the Interview letter.
We also went for an Infopass on June 8, but had a bad experience with an old lady that said she doesn't know anything, she didn't even use the computer (we asked about background check and if file requested by FO), and she said she will pass our info to her supervisor but can't guarantee he will get back to us. (he didn't)
Since then we've called KCC and they told us that our file was not requested yet.
I know that Chicago FO works slow , but at this point we started to worry if we will make it in time until FY ends. I did the online inquiry and I am thinking to contact our local congressman about our case.
We've scheduled another Infopass for July 3rd, in hope that we will be more lucky this time.
Questions: 1. Does the USCIS knows that our AOS is based on DV lottery (aware of deadline) or we are the ones to point that out to them?
2.We didn't submit DS260, and that means we will not get 2NL , correct? ( because we didn't)
3. Please let us know if you have any other advice for us , to make this work.
Thanks a lot for your help !!!
With our deepest gratitude

1. Yes your FO is aware.

2. Correct.

3. Your case is on track, it isn't outside of the applicable processing timeline, I see no reason to start stressing at this point in time. You're already using up all your 'big guns' when there's no cause to IMHO.

1. Yes your FO is aware.

2. Correct.

3. Your case is on track, it isn't outside of the applicable processing timeline, I see no reason to start stressing at this point in time. You're already using up all your 'big guns' when there's no cause to IMHO.

Thank you again, dear Sm1smom!

The original copy needs to be submitted, you keep the copy for your records.

I don't think 'timely registration' has something to do with this. People get new B/C all the time, without it referencing a previously issued on. I got a new long form B/C after my DV selection, it wasn't an issue.

RFE states that "If the birth certificate is not available, you must submit a letter from the government agency authorized to ss
So what exactly does the RFE ask for then? What does it mean by "verification"? Does it have an official stamp or whatever your country usually uses to show that it is indeed a true official document? Is there any reason for the FO to think it is not a genuine document?

As I said before and as mom said, many people get new BCs issued for DV/immigration purposes. The date of issue is not the problem

Yes, it has the official stamp and it is written on the official letterhead.

RFE states that "If the birth certificate is not available, you must submit a letter from the government agency authorized to ss

Yes, it has the official stamp and it is written on the official letterhead.

The RFE wording sounds like the B/C is missing from your package. Send them another copy of the long form B/C in addition to the other documents you're putting together.

I called up the USCIS last week to get a status update and after talking to the office for a bit, she said I can put in a case to expedite my petition because it's DV lottery based and that it needs to be done by Sep 30. I found out today that my case to expedite was denied. Has anyone had any luck with expediting their case before? I am going for an infopass on Tuesday morning hoping for better luck

I called up the USCIS last week to get a status update and after talking to the office for a bit, she said I can put in a case to expedite my petition because it's DV lottery based and that it needs to be done by Sep 30. I found out today that my case to expedite was denied. Has anyone had any luck with expediting their case before? I am going for an infopass on Tuesday morning hoping for better luck

My own expedite was denied, but the infopass achieved better results. It is very important to go to the infopass prepared, but also with the understanding that they have until September 30th to deal with your case. For my own case I was current in May or June, and during the infopass in early August it was obvious that my case was FULLY ready, but they stubbornly decided they would interview me in September, and sure enough I then get an interview slot for the earliest appointment on the first working day ion September. So - you can push as hard as you like - but generally - like a stubborn teenager, they will do it when they want to do it...

Thank you so much for the reply @Britsimon.

What do you mean by being prepared? What docs did you bring along with you? I'm planning on bringing written evidence that they need to have my case done by Sep 30 (from my acceptance letter which says "Regardless of when a visa number becomes available, the adjustment of status process must be completed by September 30, 2017. You cannot get any benefit from your DV selection after that date."). I don't have my original college certificate but am planning on bringing the other docs I submitted in my AOS petition. Please let me know if there's anything else you think would be helpful!

Thanks again!

We went to Charleston for our interview (me, my husband and 3 children –one born here, the other two not). The officer was very pleasant, was surprised to see us show up with three kids when he knew about 2 applying. We told him that one was born here, so he was good with that. We had to swear to tell the truth, and then went over the basic questions from the I-485 form –name, date of birth, last arrival date to US, status in which we came. Then he asked if I am currently employed, where, and how long I have been working there. Then, he went through the same questions with my husband. He asked my 10 year old son about his birthday, school he attends, grade, and if he likes school. The little one, who is almost three was playing under the chair, so he really enjoyed seeing the kids being honest and playful. He joked a little bit with them and was very kind. He asked for our Driver’s Licenses, passports, and original birth certificates. Also, he asked for the DV lottery proof of payment –gave him the original and copy, and he kept the copy (even though the receipt was included in the package). Since we are on J1/J2 status, he asked if we obtained the waiver, and we confirmed. He said everything else looks good, but he needs to request our KCC file and also told us that they use three agencies for background check and two have cleared, and waiting for a third one for my husband. (We did the biometrics on December 20, were told at the end of February that our background checks cleared) –so we were confused on this one. He said he expects for that one to clear as well, and follow the online status –gave us about 2 weeks to sort out what is left, and then approve and produce the green cards. So, more waiting for us –we sent our package on November 9th, and were current in October.

Mom, I received the invitation for the interview that will be in one month. So happy!!! I have a couple of questions:

When I was preparing my package for AOS (the one I sent) I sent copies whenever I was supposed to include copies keeping the originals and I included originals(like medical form), and I saved a copy for the interview. However I did not make copy of the form I-485 and a biography. I just did'n think about that.

Now letter came with an attachment of two pages: first page says Required docs for AOS :please summit the following docs CHECKED below. Of the checked ones there are passport, birth certificate and Photo ID. And second page says please bring docs below for the interview: And among those are copy of completed I-485, G-325A (I did not make copy for those two), Form I 693 (I did make copy) however it says it should be unsealed in the orig. envelope.

1) Is it common they might ask me for copies of those forms? Do you think it might be a problem?
2) Second page lists form I-134 which I did not submit before. The only person I can ask is my friends who are my age, can they be sponsors? If they are single and make about 60K per year can they sponsor me?

I appreciate your help!

Mom, I received the invitation for the interview that will be in one month. So happy!!! I have a couple of questions:

When I was preparing my package for AOS (the one I sent) I sent copies whenever I was supposed to include copies keeping the originals and I included originals(like medical form), and I saved a copy for the interview. However I did not make copy of the form I-485 and a biography. I just did'n think about that.

Now letter came with an attachment of two pages: first page says Required docs for AOS :please summit the following docs CHECKED below. Of the checked ones there are passport, birth certificate and Photo ID. And second page says please bring docs below for the interview: And among those are copy of completed I-485, G-325A (I did not make copy for those two), Form I 693 (I did make copy) however it says it should be unsealed in the orig. envelope.

1) Is it common they might ask me for copies of those forms? Do you think it might be a problem?
2) Second page lists form I-134 which I did not submit before. The only person I can ask is my friends who are my age, can they be sponsors? If they are single and make about 60K per year can they sponsor me?

I appreciate your help!

1. I believe your IL is a generic one - you will not be asked to present copies of those form on that day.

2. Yes they can if their annual income is above the applicable poverty guide income level.

Hello everyone,
I just discovered I won the lottery DV2017 and I have a case number EU 25xxx. I have been living already in the US for the past 6 years with my wife under an L1A visa and my firm has applied for a green card on my behalf and filed concurrently i485 and i140 (E13 type of visa) in june 2016. Does it make sense to start now the process to get the green card via the DV program? Can it interfere and/or be detrimental to my current process? Knowing that it has been stalling for the past 6 months with the NSC... To add some trickiness, my wife will be away most of the summer and I will join her for some time too.
Thanks for any help or advice or tips

Good morning everyone, Dear Sm1smom, do you know if it's ok if i travel after the GC interview ? I have a valid H1B stamp visa in my passport during my stay abroad and i will not change the employer or anything else.
Can i get stuck at the custums because they see in their system that i'm supposed to be a potential GC holder and i m not able to show it ?

Hello everyone,
I just discovered I won the lottery DV2017 and I have a case number EU 25xxx. I have been living already in the US for the past 6 years with my wife under an L1A visa and my firm has applied for a green card on my behalf and filed concurrently i485 and i140 (E13 type of visa) in june 2016. Does it make sense to start now the process to get the green card via the DV program? Can it interfere and/or be detrimental to my current process? Knowing that it has been stalling for the past 6 months with the NSC... To add some trickiness, my wife will be away most of the summer and I will join her for some time too.
Thanks for any help or advice or tips

Nothing wrong with having a multiple GC petition in the system, so you can proceed with the DV based AOS petition if you like. You'll have roughly 3 months to complete the process - you'll need to be approved by Sept 30th.

The downside is the fact that you guys already have plans of spending a significant amount of time outside the US for summer. You'll need to have a plan in place for attending your bio and interview appointments which may be scheduled for when you're outside the US.

Good morning everyone, Dear Sm1smom, do you know if it's ok if i travel after the GC interview ? I have a valid H1B stamp visa in my passport during my stay abroad and i will not change the employer or anything else.
Can i get stuck at the custums because they see in their system that i'm supposed to be a potential GC holder and i m not able to show it ?

The only problem you'll face is if your GC gets approved while you're away. How do you plan on getting back into the US in such a situation?