• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi everybody,

unfortunately, I have an other layer of complication. I don't know if this is a right place to ask.
I have just received invitation to pursue Phd degree. Now, I am lost.
Here is my situation to recap:
DV 2015 CN: EU44xxx
J1(Academic training till 2016) with 2 year rule; Applied for waiver this February.
Submitted DS 260; Still waiting for 2 NL.

What should I do guys? Given my high number and risk with waiver as well, I don't wanna lose Phd opportunity.
Should I try to switch to F1 or new J1 ? can I do it given that I have showed intention to immigrate.
It seems new school will want me to start it in August, the crunch time for green card stuff. I don't know my head is turning around.

I don't expect comrehend answer but any advise would help.

Thanks

Best group in net(read stories from 2014 it was like reading soup operas :))

If I had to put money on it - I would guess that EU44XXX will never go current. No one can sure sure, and there are many factors to take in to consideration - BUT that case in is the last few hundred people out of 40,000 selectees competing for 20,000 visas. So - I would not risk the Phd for the snowball in hell chance. With a Phd, you'll have a route to switch to a long term visa and EB Green Card later on....

Thanks simon,
I see your point. Even if I say no to GC this time, the problem I have shown my double intention for immigration by applying for waiver and submitting DS260. Can I actually change from my current J1 to F1 in this situation?

Hi Mom and Britsimon,
I know it may sound weird, but I would like to get your advice on applying for EAD. Unfortunately I did not apply for EAD at the time I sent my package to Chicago. If it is not going to affect or interfere with my GC process (I am waiting for IL at this time), from where should I start now? Thanks much for your feedback.

It sounds like your case is being held up pending clearing the background check. It's not a bad idea to follow up with your FO, however, you can't just drive down there to ask. You will need to schedule an INFOPASS appointment online first, following which you now show up on the day of the appointment.

What do you recommend me to do?

Should I wait or make a scheduled?

Thanks Sm1smom so much.

Thanks simon,
I see your point. Even if I say no to GC this time, the problem I have shown my double intention for immigration by applying for waiver and submitting DS260. Can I actually change from my current J1 to F1 in this situation?

The DS260 does not mean you cannot get a temp visa - other people have done so before.

Not sure how to advise about the J1 to F1 - the only issue I have with the J1 is the once that have the home stay requirement.

Best time to effect a change of address in a situation such as yours is when you go for the interview - you may be asked to present some evidence of the new address, so take note of what else to take along for your interview.

USCIS system is unfortunately not linked together as one would have expected. Doing an online change of address after submitting a DV based AOS package is a risky move. The change isn't likely to be noted and reflected by the time they send out your IL. You can hope they send the IL before you have to move from the current address or arrange for the owner/new occupants to contact you when the IL shows up after your move.

:( Bummer.
Thank you Mom. Guess I have to put all my plans on hold until this letter shows up... and hopefully it does soon so I dont have to be forced to get into a month-to-month more expensive rent once my contract is up in April

Hi Mom and Britsimon,
I know it may sound weird, but I would like to get your advice on applying for EAD. Unfortunately I did not apply for EAD at the time I sent my package to Chicago. If it is not going to affect or interfere with my GC process (I am waiting for IL at this time), from where should I start now? Thanks much for your feedback.

The response I gave a couple of days ago regarding the AP card is equally applicable to the EAD card:

I hope you're aware that the AP approval typically takes about 2-3 months from when KCC officially accepts your AP petition? Are you also aware that applying for it now could potentially lead to a delay in approving your GC petition if you happen to get called for an interview while the AP petition is still pending? The best time to apply for the AP card is always when the I-485 gets sent in for anyone doing a DV based AOS.

However, if you still want to give it a shot, you will need to fill out from I-765, include a copy of your I-485 NOA and mail the package to the Chicago Lockbox.

Thanks simon,

I believe you still need the waiver anyway in order to change from J-1 to F-1. Can't say for sure if the petition will be approved or not, but the only way to find out is to apply I guess.

Hi everyone,
I've been selected for 2015 dv lottery and I am already here in the US on F1 visa and going to apply for AOS. I just got married at the beginning of this month and I am wondering if my husband who is also on F1 status can apply for AOS with me by filing both of our I485 forms together?

Hi everyone,
I've been selected for 2015 dv lottery and I am already here in the US on F1 visa and going to apply for AOS. I just got married at the beginning of this month and I am wondering if my husband who is also on F1 status can apply for AOS with me by filing both of our I485 forms together?

Yes your husband should be a derivative of your case. Your date of processing is determined by your case number - what is that (Region and number like 2015AS6XXX).

My CN is 2015AS4XXX, which I anticipate to become current in April. We are only waiting to get the receipt from KCC to mail back to us and then we are planning to file I485 and supporting documents next week. I have a few more questions.
1. My husband only list one of his last name on the marriage certificate but on his passport and birth certificate he has two last name, would that be an issue?
2. My F1 visa has expired but I have a valid I-20 should I send a copy of my I-20 along with I485 packet even though it is listed as supporting evidence for I485 form?

The response I gave a couple of days ago regarding the AP card is equally applicable to the EAD card:

However, if you still want to give it a shot, you will need to fill out from I-765, include a copy of your I-485 NOA and mail the package to the Chicago Lockbox.

Thank you, Mom! If I understand it correctly, applying for EAD now could potentially cause a delay in approving my GC petition if my EAD petition is still pending when I get called for an interview. That is a big risk! So I would rather avoid it! Thanks much again! Better just to hope for best at this point!

My CN is 2015AS4XXX, which I anticipate to become current in April. We are only waiting to get the receipt from KCC to mail back to us and then we are planning to file I485 and supporting documents next week. I have a few more questions.
1. My husband only list one of his last name on the marriage certificate but on his passport and birth certificate he has two last name, would that be an issue?
2. My F1 visa has expired but I have a valid I-20 should I send a copy of my I-20 along with I485 packet even though it is listed as supporting evidence for I485 form?

1. Shouldn't be a problem. He should ensure all the names are listed on his AOS forms though.
2. Yes. Take a look at the first post on page 1 of this thread to see the link to the AOS spreadsheet, which contains more information on the process, if you haven't done so already.

Hello again,

I've been reading the spreadsheet and I have a few questions about the information in it. It is my understanding (from the spreadsheet and reading the memo) that I can send my AOS package to the Lockbox in Chicago as soon as my number is less than the cutoff number on the Visa Bulletin advance notice section.
Is that correct? The "AOS Process" sheet in the google doc says contradicting things:
- row 11 says "Do not send your AOS package before your number becomes current!"
- row 12 says "You don't have to wait until the 1st day of the month that your CN becomes current before mailing out your AOS package. The package can be mailed 2 months in advance"
I assume in light of the memo, row 12 is correct?

Hello again,

I've been reading the spreadsheet and I have a few questions about the information in it. It is my understanding (from the spreadsheet and reading the memo) that I can send my AOS package to the Lockbox in Chicago as soon as my number is less than the cutoff number on the Visa Bulletin advance notice section.
Is that correct? The "AOS Process" sheet in the google doc says contradicting things:
- row 11 says "Do not send your AOS package before your number becomes current!"
- row 12 says "You don't have to wait until the 1st day of the month that your CN becomes current before mailing out your AOS package. The package can be mailed 2 months in advance"
I assume in light of the memo, row 12 is correct?

Both statements are correct and not necessarily contradictory. Row 11 is intended to let people know that they cannot send their package prior to the release of VB which indicates when their CN will be current. The idea is that someone who anticipates their CN might become current in July cannot go ahead and mail in their AOS package now or anytime before May which is when the VB with numbers for July is expected to be released.

Regarding Row 12, that means if the VB released in May shows your CN to be below the numbers listed for July, then you do not have to wait until July 1st to mail in the package.

Make sense now?

Hello Sm1smom,
I have couple questions on medical form I-693.
- Part 1 asking for "A-Number". Does F-1 students have any A-Number? (if not, then leave it blank?)
- On part 1 it says, type or print in capital letters. Is that referring only for first and last name? or the whole section of the part 1?

Thank you

Hello Sm1smom,
I have couple questions on medical form I-693.
- Part 1 asking for "A-Number". Does F-1 students have any A-Number? (if not, then leave it blank?)
- On part 1 it says, type or print in capital letters. Is that referring only for first and last name? or the whole section of the part 1?

Thank you

1. If you haven't applied for OPT as a F1 visa holder (or haven't applied for any type of benefit in the past from USCIS), then you wouldn't have an alien number and you can leave the section blank.

2. All the sections on the form to be filled by you