• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

hi guys,

I have been reading older thread on AOS to understand the process. I have a couple questions.
I am concerned about medical exam. I have been diagnosed here in US with hepatitis b chronic. Unfortunately, I have had it since childhood and I can only control it at this point. All my family members are vaccinated and safe. Is there any specific requirements for GC medical exams? Do they check for my particular illness.

Second question, Since I will hopefully be current in September and file in med july. Any chance I can I have interview before Sept 1?

hi guys,

I have been reading older thread on AOS to understand the process. I have a couple questions.
I am concerned about medical exam. I have been diagnosed here in US with hepatitis b chronic. Unfortunately, I have had it since childhood and I can only control it at this point. All my family members are vaccinated and safe. Is there any specific requirements for GC medical exams? Do they check for my particular illness.

Second question, Since I will hopefully be current in September and file in med july. Any chance I can I have interview before Sept 1?

Immigration medicals are concerned with a short list of diseases of public health significance (as defined by the CDC). Hep B is not on that list and therefore it is not a disease there are concerned with. However, there could be an aspect of a health issue that could cause concern for the doctor regarding the likelihood of the applicant becoming a public charge. So, as long as you have the ability and means to get appropriate treatment for your Hep B (as you have), there should be no issue.

Great,

Thanks. I had that feeling as well. Public charge hopefully would not be a problem. My illness is manageable and I don't have not have any treatments. It is just regular checkups and good diet.

What you u think about about getting interview before it is current? is early filing memo for just filing or can we actually get an interview before September 1?

Thanks Simon.

Great,

Thanks. I had that feeling as well. Public charge hopefully would not be a problem. My illness is manageable and I don't have not have any treatments. It is just regular checkups and good diet.

What you u think about about getting interview before it is current? is early filing memo for just filing or can we actually get an interview before September 1?

Thanks Simon.

There are a number of things that should be done before your interview. Those things tend to take the few weeks of early filing - and generally no, you won't get an interview before you are current - although if you did your GC would not be available anyway until you are current.

Sorry, this is my last question about DV payment:)

Obviously on Cashier Check name goes next to "Pay to the order of" U.S. Department of State
and down next to "For" Case Number?

If using a Cashier's Check, simply put U.S. Department of State on the section that says "Pay to the order of" and put your full name (as it appears on the DV selectee letter) on the section that says "Remitter". It really doesn't matter if the CN isn't listed on the check. Your full name appearing on the check is more important than the CN, they will always be able to connect the dot on their end.

You should be able to come back into the US following your trip in June without having an AP card provided your I-485 package hasn't been submitted and as long as your current visa hasn't expired or you do not need to go to an embassy to get a new F1 visa. Just be aware that it wouldn't be advisable to submit your I-485 package immediately upon your return, even though your immigrant intent is deemed to have been declared before traveling out in June. If you submit your package before traveling, you must have the AP card before leaving or your petition will be regarded as abandoned.

Thanks a lot Mom! Great help as always.

So it seems like basically it boils down to - If I want to proceed with AOS, I must not travel given my circumstances/time consideration. If I decide I absolutely must travel and decide not to proceed with AOS, I should be fine as long as I'm not applying for F1 visa again (which I won't).

I was worried that (having submitted just the DS-260, but not the I-485 package) I might not be permitted entry at the border upon my return to the US after my travels in June. I guess that's not a likely possibility then?

If using a Cashier's Check, simply put U.S. Department of State on the section that says "Pay to the order of" and put your full name (as it appears on the DV selectee letter) on the section that says "Remitter". It really doesn't matter if the CN isn't listed on the check. Your full name appearing on the check is more important than the CN, they will always be able to connect the dot on their end.
Thank you Sm1smom,
Just curious, about how long it takes to receive the receipt for DV payment?

Thanks a lot Mom! Great help as always.

So it seems like basically it boils down to - If I want to proceed with AOS, I must not travel given my circumstances/time consideration. If I decide I absolutely must travel and decide not to proceed with AOS, I should be fine as long as I'm not applying for F1 visa again (which I won't).

I was worried that (having submitted just the DS-260, but not the I-485 package) I might not be permitted entry at the border upon my return to the US after my travels in June. I guess that's not a likely possibility then?

There's always the possibility of being denied entry regardless of the DS form submission or not. Having a valid visa is not a guarantee of being admitted into the country, it's a call the IO is entitled to make, so I cannot say with a 100% certainty that the possibility of being denied entrance is unlikely.

There's always the possibility of being denied entry regardless of the DS form submission or not. Having a valid visa is not a guarantee of being admitted into the country, it's a call the IO is entitled to make, so I cannot say with a 100% certainty that the possibility of being denied entrance is unlikely.

True indeed, cannot say for certainty. Thanks again!

Hello folk,

I have been interviewed for getting the green card since the middle of December. Now, it has been for more than tow months.

Please let me know if that is the sign for refusing the status, or it is normal and may take more than that.

They even do not update the status online.

Thanks

Hello folk,

I have been interviewed for getting the green card since the middle of December. Now, it has been for more than tow months.

Please let me know if that is the sign for refusing the status, or it is normal and may take more than that.

They even do not update the status online.

Thanks

How did the interview go? What did the IO say at the end? Did they tell you if they already received your case file from KCC? Was anything said about your background check? Where you asked to send in any document? Provide us with more information to help us help you.

How did the interview go? What did the IO say at the end? Did they tell you if they already received your case file from KCC? Was anything said about your background check? Where you asked to send in any document? Provide us with more information to help us help you.

The interview went good. at the end, the IO said that my application is still in the process. IO said, we are still in the background check, and IO said your card will be in your address in three weeks to one month. Now, it has been more that two months.

Yes, they received my case. They did not ask for any more documents.

should I drive to their office to ask?

Is this normal?

Let me know please.

Thanks

The interview went good. at the end, the IO said that my application is still in the process. IO said, we are still in the background check, and IO said your card will be in your address in three weeks to one month. Now, it has been more that two months.

Yes, they received my case. They did not ask for any more documents.

should I drive to their office to ask?

Is this normal?

Let me know please.

Thanks

It sounds like your case is being held up pending clearing the background check. It's not a bad idea to follow up with your FO, however, you can't just drive down there to ask. You will need to schedule an INFOPASS appointment online first, following which you now show up on the day of the appointment.

Hi everybody!
I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I'm a DV-2015 winner, applying for the Green Card with my husband. We're already in the US, my husband has a J1 visa and I have a J2. Our J visas expires in Jan. 2016.
We're diving quite slowly into the Green Card process because we're still hesitating about going back to Europe or staying in the US (we love both, what a dilemma!). Having a Green Card will allow us to have more options once the J1/J2 visas expires, otherwise we'll have to quit the US in Jan. 2016.

My question is: if we have the Green Card in 2015 but we go back to Europe in 2016, and then we stay there more than 2 years, without making the 6 months living in the US so we loose the Green Card... If, for instance 5 or 10 years later, we want to go back living in the US and we apply again for a Green Card (other than lottery, I guess!), could it be a bad thing to have had the Green Card and not having it anymore?

I hope my question is clear, otherwise let me know and I'll try to make it clearer ;-)

Thank you!

Hi everybody!
I hope I'm posting in the right thread. I'm a DV-2015 winner, applying for the Green Card with my husband. We're already in the US, my husband has a J1 visa and I have a J2. Our J visas expires in Jan. 2016.
We're diving quite slowly into the Green Card process because we're still hesitating about going back to Europe or staying in the US (we love both, what a dilemma!). Having a Green Card will allow us to have more options once the J1/J2 visas expires, otherwise we'll have to quit the US in Jan. 2016.

My question is: if we have the Green Card in 2015 but we go back to Europe in 2016, and then we stay there more than 2 years, without making the 6 months living in the US so we loose the Green Card... If, for instance 5 or 10 years later, we want to go back living in the US and we apply again for a Green Card (other than lottery, I guess!), could it be a bad thing to have had the Green Card and not having it anymore?

I hope my question is clear, otherwise let me know and I'll try to make it clearer ;-)

Thank you!

- Yes, you will loose the GC

- No, each GC petition is independently reviewed. As a matter of fact, if you get selected again years down the road and decide to pursue that selection, the fact that you've lost a previous LPR status will not negatively affect the new selection/petition. Of course, they may ask you what happened, they cannot penalize you for saying you weren't ready to live permanently in the US back then.

Could take anywhere between 4 - 8 weeks, could take less.
For some reason I thought it takes 1 - 2 week, but I'm glad I asked you. Thanks for informing.
In case on the way back, receipt was lost - is there any other way to obtain the prove of receipt/payment?
Or if it really takes up to 8 weeks, can I send the AOS package without the receipt?
And when finally arrives then take to the interview?

For some reason I thought it takes 1 - 2 week, but I'm glad I asked you. Thanks for informing.
In case on the way back, receipt was lost - is there any other way to obtain the prove of receipt/payment?
Or if it really takes up to 8 weeks, can I send the AOS package without the receipt?
And when finally arrives then take to the interview?

The AOS package can be sent without the receipt, as long as the receipt is presented at he time of the interview.

Hi everybody,

unfortunately, I have an other layer of complication. I don't know if this is a right place to ask.
I have just received invitation to pursue Phd degree. Now, I am lost.
Here is my situation to recap:
DV 2015 CN: EU44xxx
J1(Academic training till 2016) with 2 year rule; Applied for waiver this February.
Submitted DS 260; Still waiting for 2 NL.

What should I do guys? Given my high number and risk with waiver as well, I don't wanna lose Phd opportunity.
Should I try to switch to F1 or new J1 ? can I do it given that I have showed intention to immigrate.
It seems new school will want me to start it in August, the crunch time for green card stuff. I don't know my head is turning around.

I don't expect comrehend answer but any advise would help.

Thanks

Best group in net(read stories from 2014 it was like reading soup operas :))