• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hello Mom,
Update on my husband's status. It is still pending we went to infopass, and they said the background check is still not cleared. I guess there is nothing in our hand as my husband is from the middle east.
Is there any thing we can do at this point especially there are only two months remaining.
P.S We did the interview on 14 Feb.

Thank you,

Is your husband from Iran? Is he from one of the banned countries under the Executive Order?

Morning Everyone,

Quick question, I just received the welcome letters, and I think they made a mistake, they sent me 2 times the same one for me and didn't sent my wife's one (actually they sent 4 differents letters, 2 welcome letter for me, 1 biometrics letter for me and an other for my wife). Is it an important document ? does it worth it to spend time to try to get it ?

thank u

Morning Everyone,

Quick question, I just received the welcome letters, and I think they made a mistake, they sent me 2 times the same one for me and didn't sent my wife's one (actually they sent 4 differents letters, 2 welcome letter for me, 1 biometrics letter for me and an other for my wife). Is it an important document ? does it worth it to spend time to try to get it ?

thank u

Looks like someone was high on something when they issued those. Did your wife also get an I-551 stamp on her passport?

yep, agree with you :) No she didn't ask for it, but i see in the case status that we has been approved and both card has been mailed.

Then wait for the cards to show up in the next couple of days following which you can disregard the bio notice. However if your card shows up and hers doesn't, you guys will need to follow up with USCIS in that case.

Good afternoon!

Since there is not much time left till the end of the fiscal year, I want to make sure I have a plan B.
Had my biometrics done on May 5th. After two infopasses the status is the same: background check is pending. I am from Russia and my FO is in Jacksonville, FL. I am staying optimistic and going to do another infopass soon but want to have an alternative plan.
I am working using my EAD card from OPT, it will expire on Jan 1st 2018. Am I going to lose my status after Sept 30th or it is just going to stay the same? If I am not losing it, can I apply for the STEM field extension?

Thanks a lot!

Good afternoon!

Since there is not much time left till the end of the fiscal year, I want to make sure I have a plan B.
Had my biometrics done on May 5th. After two infopasses the status is the same: background check is pending. I am from Russia and my FO is in Jacksonville, FL. I am staying optimistic and going to do another infopass soon but want to have an alternative plan.
I am working using my EAD card from OPT, it will expire on Jan 1st 2018. Am I going to lose my status after Sept 30th or it is just going to stay the same? If I am not losing it, can I apply for the STEM field extension?

Thanks a lot!

You revert back to you current status if your petition is not approved by 9/30 COB, assuming you never used an AOS based AP or EAD card while your AOS petition was pending.

Hello mom,
No, he is not from the banned countries. He is from the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Okay, there's hope. He's just stuck in standard AP - good to know the delay he's experiencing is not due to the EO ban.

Unfortunately not much you can do except continue to wait and keep checking on a regular basis with your FO.

You can also try your congress person if you haven't done so already. Don't tell them the FO already told you his background check is pending. Just tell them when you had your interview and that you already got approved and there's no update with regards to your husband. I'm not saying your congress person can pressure them into making a decision, but it may get them to reach out to the FBI and follow up on the background check progress.

Okay, there's hope. He's just stuck in standard AP - good to know the delay he's experiencing is not due to the EO ban.

Unfortunately not much you can do except continue to wait and keep checking on a regular basis with your FO.

You can also try your congress person if you haven't done so already. Don't tell them the FO already told you his background check is pending. Just tell them when you had your interview and that you already got approved and there's no update with regards to your husband. I'm not saying your congress person can pressure them into making a decision, but it may get them to reach out to the FBI and follow up on the background check progress.

Great, thank you. I will update you on our progress

This is rather unusual. I've never heard of the situation where the IO calls a petitioner to say they couldn't locate their their picture or the prints collected at the bio appointment. Yes, I've know it is possible for USCIS to reschedule a bio appointment due to an inability to read the prints collected at the bio appointment, but never for the situation you described above.

Anyway, since the IO asked you to come in for the bio to be redone, then I suppose you need to return to your FO and inform them at the gate as to the purpose of your visit. Hopefully your IO would have provided the security guys with your information to enable them grant you access into the building.

Hi,

I went yesterday to the FO and met with my IO. He proceeded to take my fingerprints and then take a picture of me and said I was free to go. He verbally said I was approved but haven't received any notification from the system.

Is this normal protocol at all interviews or do you think it was because my fingerprints weren't readable?

Hi,

I went yesterday to the FO and met with my IO. He proceeded to take my fingerprints and then take a picture of me and said I was free to go. He verbally said I was approved but haven't received any notification from the system.

Is this normal protocol at all interviews or do you think it was because my fingerprints weren't readable?

Like I said in my previous post to you, which you quoted by the way, this is unusual. It is not a regular practice - it may be because your fingerprints were not readable from the previous bio.

Did you at any point ask if your background check was complete?

Like I said in my previous post to you, which you quoted by the way, this is unusual. It is not a regular practice - it may be because your fingerprints were not readable from the previous bio.

Did you at any point ask if your background check was complete?

Sorry, I thought you meant being called back was unusual.

I asked him if I had to redo my background check and he said no, because that was the impression I was under for going to his office. He only took fingerprints of my two pointer fingers and also took a photograph, which is less than what they asked for at my biometrics appointment.

Sorry, I thought you meant being called back was unusual.

I asked him if I had to redo my background check and he said no, because that was the impression I was under for going to his office. He only took fingerprints of my two pointer fingers and also took a photograph, which is less than what they asked for at my biometrics appointment.

Okay, that means they retook prints that were previously unreadable. I'm guessing they were already able to carry out your background check with the rest of the prints and your name. So fingers crossed, your approval should be coming out soon.

Then wait for the cards to show up in the next couple of days following which you can disregard the bio notice. However if your card shows up and hers doesn't, you guys will need to follow up with USCIS in that case.
Morning Mom, well i received both card today, but the high continue and they put Gender male for my wife...look like that i need to file a i90 form. Is it fine if she travel with that card you think ?

Last edited:
Morning Mom, well i received both card today, but the high continue and they put Gender male for my wife...look like that i need to file a i90 form. Is it fine if she travel with that card you think ?

Oh gosh! How that sucks - to finally get to the end of the race, only to realize you have another lap to go. I wouldn't travel with the card as is, if I was in your wife's shoes. Minor as it may seem, the information on the GC is not correct, it therefore shouldn't be used. She will need the temporary GC in this case if she needs to travel until she gets a replacement GC.

You need to check her I-485 form to confirm you guys did not mistakenly tick "Male" for her gender. Once you confirm the form was correctly filled, then all you need to do is submit an I-90 for a replacement card. You will need to send back the card of course once you confirm it's a USCIS error, and you will not be charged for a new card. If it turns out the error is from your end, then you will need to pay for the replacement GC and you don't have to send back the old one which you still can't use.

Fortunately, my green card was found. Whew! I am soooo relieved. Thanks to everyone on this forum for the assistance along the way.

And for Mom, thanks for all your advice and most importantly your patience. Managing a forum this big in size and pivotal is extremely impressive and commendable.

I guess I can now say, I am officially GREEN!

Fortunately, my green card was found. Whew! I am soooo relieved. Thanks to everyone on this forum for the assistance along the way.

And for Mom, thanks for all your advice and most importantly your patience. Managing a forum this big in size and pivotal is extremely impressive and commendable.

I guess I can now say, I am officially GREEN!

That is fantastic news! Happy for you. Thanks for coming back to inform us.

By the way, do you mind sharing the steps you took and how it was eventually located? Others may benefit from this.