• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

hello everyone, I would like to thank all of you guys and especially Sm1smom who is doing an incredible work to help all of us here for free. The world is getting better with people like you and I'm sure you will receive back a lot of joy and happiness for everything you did for many families here. Thanks again

I had my interview today in the NY FO, the officer was very friendly and asked to see the birth certificates and marriage deed. We went trough all the classic questions, and he approved us few hours later (card being produced in the USCIS case status).

Now i have an infopass for next week so i can get the I-551 stamp and be free to travel again :)

1. Yes.
2. Unfortunately, I can't give you the 100% reassurance you're seeking as I don't fully know what's going on. But if you did receive a Welcome Letter then most likely you will get your GC eventually.

Hi Mom,

Exactly what is considered the "welcome letter"? Is the welcome letter the I-797, Approval Notice?

Hi Mom,wonder if you can help,,i have an asylum application,,around 2 months ago i was scheduled for interview so i thought i would ask for a reschedule as i prefer to get my DV case done,but they only postponed the interview for 2 weeks so i rescheduled again and also it was only for 2 weeks,so i decided to go,it was on 07.24.2017 the interview went good but they said that they would mail the decision,so far all is normal until i went for an infopass on 07.28.2017 to ask about the status of the DV case and was surprised when the officer told me that my case had been transferred to the asylum office and that he has no other info.
Iam really confused and dont know what to do.!

Hi Mom,wonder if you can help,,i have an asylum application,,around 2 months ago i was scheduled for interview so i thought i would ask for a reschedule as i prefer to get my DV case done,but they only postponed the interview for 2 weeks so i rescheduled again and also it was only for 2 weeks,so i decided to go,it was on 07.24.2017 the interview went good but they said that they would mail the decision,so far all is normal until i went for an infopass on 07.28.2017 to ask about the status of the DV case and was surprised when the officer told me that my case had been transferred to the asylum office and that he has no other info.
Iam really confused and dont know what to do.!

You haven't shared anything about your DV case in the past, I have no idea when your CN became current or when you filed. There's no information as to your status before you sent in your AOS package. Anyway, I have no idea as to why your DV based AOS petition was transferred to the asylum office, it is not unusual for someone to have more than one petition in the system and they don't typically combine them. You may need speak with an immigration attorney. You may also reach out your your congress person and seek their assistance in following up with your DV based AOS petition though.

You haven't shared anything about your DV case in the past, I have no idea when your CN became current or when you filed. There's no information as to your status before you sent in your AOS package. Anyway, I have no idea as to why your DV based AOS petition was transferred to the asylum office, it is not unusual for someone to have more than one petition in the system and they don't typically combine them. You may need speak with an immigration attorney. You may also reach out your your congress person and seek their assistance in following up with your DV based AOS petition though.
Thanks Mom for your reply,and yes i haven't shared anything before,
my number is AS8xxx
i sent my package on Nove.2016 and it was received (i didnt know at that time that i should wait for my number to be current),and i dont know how they received it!!!
NOA letter 11.22.2016
Bio scheduled 12.19.2016
Current May
I went for an infopass several times but never got any thing,only for my last visit i was told that my case was transferred to the asylum office.
Recently i sent to the senate in my state,i sent a request on line,this was 10 days ago but never got any reply yet.
Iam confused and worried and feeling lost.

Thanks Mom for your reply,and yes i haven't shared anything before,
my number is AS8xxx
i sent my package on Nove.2016 and it was received (i didnt know at that time that i should wait for my number to be current),and i dont know how they received it!!!
NOA letter 11.22.2016
Bio scheduled 12.19.2016
Current May
I went for an infopass several times but never got any thing,only for my last visit i was told that my case was transferred to the asylum office.
Recently i sent to the senate in my state,i sent a request on line,this was 10 days ago but never got any reply yet.
Iam confused and worried and feeling lost.

The fact that you submitted your AOS package way before your CN became current further complicates things for you - and I am gobsmacked the case was accepted by the Chicago Lockbox. The petition will end up being denied, and the fact that they haven't done so by now makes it impossible for you to re-file.

My recommendation would have been to start with your House of Rep person, and not the Senate by the way. And you should have followed up by calling anyways, 10 days is a long time to be waiting for a response from your congress person.

Like I said before, I'm sorry I can't assist or provide any useful guidance at this point. You should consider speaking with an experienced immigration attorney to find out what your next line of action could/should be.

Hi,

I just had my interview at the Atlanta FO. It took about 15-20 minutes and was pretty simple. The IO asked me for my passports, specifically the one that had the visa I entered with. He asked me why I was there. I took an oath and answered everything from the i-485. I changed employers since I sent my package in and he wanted to see the contract with my employer. He also asked for my EAD card and kept my old expired one. He then kept all the copies of the papers I had sent in my AOS package already. I don't think he looked at my original package since he kept asking for things he should have had and kept an exact replica of my package.. He was nice and polite.

In the end he said he couldn't approve my case because he couldn't connect to the KCC website to see if my visa was current (something with the system) but that he had no reason to reject me and to just wait. sigh..

All in all it was good, just got to keep waiting

Hi @Sm1smom,
I had my interview as mentioned above last week. The officer said that he would look more into my visa and when I asked if he would call me. He replied that he would only call if it was to reject me. Imagine my surprise when at 7am this morning he calls. He stated that he cannot find my biometrics or picture and that I need to go tomorrow at 7am again. Now with my shock, I didn't ask whether I should go to his office or to the biometrics office (they are different locations, at least in ATL).

Do you know if they are able to do biometrics in the interview office? Do you think they will have to redo my background checks? Do you have any advice on where I should go/what I should mention tomorrow?

Thanks

Hi @Sm1smom,
I had my interview as mentioned above last week. The officer said that he would look more into my visa and when I asked if he would call me. He replied that he would only call if it was to reject me. Imagine my surprise when at 7am this morning he calls. He stated that he cannot find my biometrics or picture and that I need to go tomorrow at 7am again. Now with my shock, I didn't ask whether I should go to his office or to the biometrics office (they are different locations, at least in ATL).

Do you know if they are able to do biometrics in the interview office? Do you think they will have to redo my background checks? Do you have any advice on where I should go/what I should mention tomorrow?

Thanks

This is rather unusual. I've never heard of the situation where the IO calls a petitioner to say they couldn't locate their their picture or the prints collected at the bio appointment. Yes, I've know it is possible for USCIS to reschedule a bio appointment due to an inability to read the prints collected at the bio appointment, but never for the situation you described above.

Anyway, since the IO asked you to come in for the bio to be redone, then I suppose you need to return to your FO and inform them at the gate as to the purpose of your visit. Hopefully your IO would have provided the security guys with your information to enable them grant you access into the building.

This is rather unusual. I've never heard of the situation where the IO calls a petitioner to say they couldn't locate their their picture or the prints collected at the bio appointment. Yes, I've know it is possible for USCIS to reschedule a bio appointment due to an inability to read the prints collected at the bio appointment, but never for the situation you described above.

Anyway, since the IO asked you to come in for the bio to be redone, then I suppose you need to return to your FO and inform them at the gate as to the purpose of your visit. Hopefully your IO would have provided the security guys with your information to enable them grant you access into the building.

Sorry, just to clarify, you think I should go to the USCIS building and meet with the officer instead of going to the biometrics building?

I551 stamp done, GC approved, all good for me and my wife ! Thanks again for all the help, and of course a special Thank you to Sm1smom.

A quick note, we traveled both me and my wife during the AOS process, without AP and we didn't face any issue at the immigration borders and we didn't face any question or issue with the FO officer as well. The I485 petition hasn't been considered abandoned. Please note that we had a H1B and H4 visa which are dual intent visa. For the large majority of the other visa, you CANNOT do that and you face serious issues by travelling without AP. Also even with a H1B or H4, if you situation changed during your travel + some other exceptions, you may face a cancellation of you I-485 petition. So be very carfull with the travels....I had to take the risk and it turned out ok for me because i spent a lot of time reading about the rules, please don't take it as a green light for travelling out of US during I-485 pending approval.

Let me share my infopass experience I had today so that it might be helpful for somebody else.

I had my 2nd infopass today morning and when the FO asked for the reason of visit I explained that I am a DV lottery winner and I applied for AOS so came to get an update regarding the case since the deadline is approaching soon. She insisted that they do not handle the DV cases and its only handled by Department of State. I explained her that in my first infopass I was told my case was assigned to a FO and that the background check is all clear. Then only she asked for my A number and checked it on the system and told me that all the files are with them but my name check is yet to be done. When I told her that my KCC file was not yet requested (I don't think she had an idea what it was) she said case will not be moving till the name check is done. Confused and frustrated I came to my car and then I decided to go back again and check with another FO.

Surprisingly, I was allowed to go in again (security let me go in again once I told them I had an appointment in the morning) and I told the officer at the front desk who issues ticket numbers that I need to go inside again and requested to see another FO. He was a really nice guy and once I explained him everything he checked from his computer and he also said name check is not done yet. Then he asked me to have a seat till he go in and check my file. However, after like 20 minutes he came back with my interview letter on his hand saying my name check was received just now. I am confused as to what happened but yet I am happy and relieved to have the IL on hand.

Hi guys: I am waiting for IL from Newark FO (package sent on May 1, Bio: May 30, 1. Infopass: July 17 ). I checked the Timeline, and in previous years the IL were sent 30/40 days after Biometrics (from Newark FO). It has been 62 days after my Biometrics and I still have not received anything. Should I be concerned?

My last Infopass was on July 17th - I was told that FO "received my file on July 13 and I should wait for IL". File from KCC has still not been requested, so I scheduled second Infopass for August 14th. I am afraid that I will not get any useful information again. How much time should I give them to "work on my case"?

Let me share my infopass experience I had today so that it might be helpful for somebody else.

I had my 2nd infopass today morning and when the FO asked for the reason of visit I explained that I am a DV lottery winner and I applied for AOS so came to get an update regarding the case since the deadline is approaching soon. She insisted that they do not handle the DV cases and its only handled by Department of State. I explained her that in my first infopass I was told my case was assigned to a FO and that the background check is all clear. Then only she asked for my A number and checked it on the system and told me that all the files are with them but my name check is yet to be done. When I told her that my KCC file was not yet requested (I don't think she had an idea what it was) she said case will not be moving till the name check is done. Confused and frustrated I came to my car and then I decided to go back again and check with another FO.

Surprisingly, I was allowed to go in again (security let me go in again once I told them I had an appointment in the morning) and I told the officer at the front desk who issues ticket numbers that I need to go inside again and requested to see another FO. He was a really nice guy and once I explained him everything he checked from his computer and he also said name check is not done yet. Then he asked me to have a seat till he go in and check my file. However, after like 20 minutes he came back with my interview letter on his hand saying my name check was received just now. I am confused as to what happened but yet I am happy and relieved to have the IL on hand.

Being persistent definitely paid off. Very nice!

Clear evidence of what I've always said that just because one gets in front of a USCIS personnel doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're saying. The first IO obviously didn't know jack and was quickly going to send you on your way with some BS response rather than admit his lack of knowledge.

NB - you went to your FO (Field Office) for the INFOPASS and spoke with the IO (Immigration Officer), you didn't speak with the FO ;)

Hi guys: I am waiting for IL from Newark FO (package sent on May 1, Bio: May 30, 1. Infopass: July 17 ). I checked the Timeline, and in previous years the IL were sent 30/40 days after Biometrics (from Newark FO). It has been 62 days after my Biometrics and I still have not received anything. Should I be concerned?

My last Infopass was on July 17th - I was told that FO "received my file on July 13 and I should wait for IL". File from KCC has still not been requested, so I scheduled second Infopass for August 14th. I am afraid that I will not get any useful information again. How much time should I give them to "work on my case"?

Since we only have 2 months left, now is the time to start following up on a regular basis.

Being persistent definitely paid off. Very nice!

Clear evidence of what I've always said that just because one gets in front of a USCSI personnel doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're saying. The first IO obviously didn't know jack and was quickly going to send you on your way with some BS response rather than admit his lack of knowledge.

NB - you went to your FO (Field Office) for the INFOPASS and spoke with the IO (Immigration Officer), you didn't speak with the FO ;)

Thanks mom. That's why I am and I will forever be grateful for you for enriching all of us with your knowledge. If I did not come across this forum, I would not have a clue about the AOS process and actually might have gone to the DOS because of the way she insisted on it. And it is really hard to convince them otherwise once they insist on something. I still could not get to have them requested the KCC file since any of them did not seem to know what it is. As you said, the IO who has assigned to my case hopefully will figure it out. However, happy that there are really nice people like the second person I met today too.

Oh sorry about the mistake. I thought FO stands for Field Officer ;)

Hello Mom,
Update on my husband's status. It is still pending we went to infopass, and they said the background check is still not cleared. I guess there is nothing in our hand as my husband is from the middle east.
Is there any thing we can do at this point especially there are only two months remaining.
P.S We did the interview on 14 Feb.

Thank you,

Last edited: