• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Those of you who already got their interview letters and have registered for e-mail/text alerts, did you guys get notified by e-mail or a text once the IL was posted to you?

Those of you who already got their interview letters and have registered for e-mail/text alerts, did you guys get notified by e-mail or a text once the IL was posted to you?

Nope. Even after the interview, case status says "Fingerprint fee received".

Thanks for answering my questions. I will share how things progress.

Hi Mom,

I just called USCIS customer service, and after being transferred to a higher level officer, I was told that my case had been approved on the day of interview and the card is being produced. The guy on the phone said he can't provide any information regarding my wife though; apparently, she herself needs to call to inquire about her case. I hope that she has been approved too (will ask her to call to confirm). Further, he told that the online portal doesn't always keep up with the actual status, and an instance of that is my case which still says "Fingerprint fee received".

I am very happy with the news, but it will be very unfair if I start to celebrate before thanking this forum, Mom and Simon's website. I can't thank you guys enough. From the day I won the lottery till today, I have read each and every page on this thread and the AOS spreadsheet. These are incredibly helpful resources because it is not only one or two people instructing others, but many people---who actually went through the process---sharing their experience. Amazing!!

I will update again after I receive the official approval notice and the cards.

Thanks again!

Nope. Even after the interview, case status says "Fingerprint fee received".

Thanks for the reply. I actually was referring to the text/e-mail alerts you get once a document has been mailed and not the case status update. Btw, congratulations !!!

Thanks for the reply. I actually was referring to the text/e-mail alerts you get once a document has been mailed and not the case status update. Btw, congratulations !!!

Thank you!

I think the text/e-mail alerts correspond to the online case status. I got text/e-mails alerts only when my online case status was updated.

Hi Mom,

I just called USCIS customer service, and after being transferred to a higher level officer, I was told that my case had been approved on the day of interview and the card is being produced. The guy on the phone said he can't provide any information regarding my wife though; apparently, she herself needs to call to inquire about her case. I hope that she has been approved too (will ask her to call to confirm). Further, he told that the online portal doesn't always keep up with the actual status, and an instance of that is my case which still says "Fingerprint fee received".

I am very happy with the news, but it will be very unfair if I start to celebrate before thanking this forum, Mom and Simon's website. I can't thank you guys enough. From the day I won the lottery till today, I have read each and every page on this thread and the AOS spreadsheet. These are incredibly helpful resources because it is not only one or two people instructing others, but many people---who actually went through the process---sharing their experience. Amazing!!

I will update again after I receive the official approval notice and the cards.

Thanks again!

Finally, the online case status got updated :). Not sure but I think the officer whom I spoke on the phone might have made the changes.

I will start by answering your last set of questions first. Forget about hiring an immigration attorney - there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING any immigration attorney, experienced or not, can do about the case at this point in time. Not unless you have some other issues in general which you haven't shared here.

I don't know what DOS document the IO you met was talking about. Do you have any other petition in the system with USCIS? Did you apply for any other form of immigration benefit from USCIS in the past? Also, did you include an I-131 or I-765 with your AOS package?

The only thing that I guess is that they have confused our case with abroad cases where people initially file their documents at a consular and then after getting temporary visa and entering the US they will apply for AOS to get GC, probably fo them the USCIS requires to append those documents to the I485 application to approve their GC, is this possible?

The only thing that I guess is that they have confused our case with abroad cases where people initially file their documents at a consular and then after getting temporary visa and entering the US they will apply for AOS to get GC, probably fo them the USCIS requires to append those documents to the I485 application to approve their GC, is this possible?

No, I am 100% certain your guess is not correct. There's no way they could have confused your case with that of someone on a K1 fiancé visa which is the scenario you described above or a CR1 spousal visa - these are two of the immigrant visas they process from abroad/consular processing. A K1 finance visa is only applicable to the spouse being sponsored - in your case we're talking about your and your spouse adjusting status together. A CR1 visa is automatically a LPR upon visa visa application - it does not require AOS processing on arrival.

And I did ask you a couple of questions in my previous post, response to which may shed some light on what is going on with your case but you obviously have decided to ignore them.

Hi Mom,

So USPS is still looking for my green card letter they lost. However I need an advise on one thing.

My employer started filing my GC in Jan/Feb of this year, however, they are still in the early stages of the process (prevailing wage). I did not inform my employer of my GC lottery case because i wanted to first get approved. My plan is to tell my employer the news once I get the actually GC in my hand (just to be safe). Now with the issue of the postal service loosing my card and a possibility of waiting 9 months to get a new card, would you advice I still hold off on telling my employer? Or do you think its safe to share the news? Please advise.

FYI - I have received the I-797 approval form.

Hi Mom,

So USPS is still looking for my green card letter they lost. However I need an advise on one thing.

My employer started filing my GC in Jan/Feb of this year, however, they are still in the early stages of the process (prevailing wage). I did not inform my employer of my GC lottery case because i wanted to first get approved. My plan is to tell my employer the news once I get the actually GC in my hand (just to be safe). Now with the issue of the postal service loosing my card and a possibility of waiting 9 months to get a new card, would you advice I still hold off on telling my employer? Or do you think its safe to share the news? Please advise.

FYI - I have received the I-797 approval form.

I suppose if my employer was petitioning me for a GC in addition to my being a DV selectee, I would want to hold off on telling them anything until I have my GC on hand. The truth is weather or not you have the physical GC on hand, you're already a LPR as far as USCIS is concerned. The petition your employer is filing for you will eventually get denied by USCIS, how soon they will be sending out a notice to your employer, I don't know. So I guess you might as well go ahead and tell them soon, you can't possibly wait for 9 months to do so.

Meanwhile, did you go on an INFOPASS to your FO to get a temporary I-551 stamp on your passport?

I suppose if my employer was petitioning me for a GC in addition to my being a DV selectee, I would want to hold off on telling them anything until I have my GC on hand. The truth is weather or not you have the physical GC on hand, you're already a LPR as far as USCIS is concerned. The petition your employer is filing for you will eventually get denied by USCIS, how soon they will be sending out a notice to your employer, I don't know. So I guess you might as well go ahead and tell them soon, you can't possibly wait for 9 months to do so.

Meanwhile, did you go on an INFOPASS to your FO to get a temporary I-551 stamp on your passport?

Yes I went for an INFOPASS on Tuesday. They said i would have to have a pending I-90 Application in the system first before they stamp my passport. I'm still trying to give the post office some time to locate the letter before i file the I-90 and pay the $540 fees.

Hello!

I have a question regarding the SSN. What is the process of obtaining a SSN if one had answered YES to "do you want the social security administration to issue a SSN and a card"? I am inclined to believe that given the approval of I-485, I don't have to do anything; they will issue and mail it. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, how long does this process take?

Thanks.

Hi,

I just had my interview at the Atlanta FO. It took about 15-20 minutes and was pretty simple. The IO asked me for my passports, specifically the one that had the visa I entered with. He asked me why I was there. I took an oath and answered everything from the i-485. I changed employers since I sent my package in and he wanted to see the contract with my employer. He also asked for my EAD card and kept my old expired one. He then kept all the copies of the papers I had sent in my AOS package already. I don't think he looked at my original package since he kept asking for things he should have had and kept an exact replica of my package.. He was nice and polite.

In the end he said he couldn't approve my case because he couldn't connect to the KCC website to see if my visa was current (something with the system) but that he had no reason to reject me and to just wait. sigh..

All in all it was good, just got to keep waiting

Hello!

I have a question regarding the SSN. What is the process of obtaining a SSN if one had answered YES to "do you want the social security administration to issue a SSN and a card"? I am inclined to believe that given the approval of I-485, I don't have to do anything; they will issue and mail it. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, how long does this process take?

Thanks.

Unfortunately for AOSers, regardless of the fact that you selected 'yes' for the SSN, it will not automatically get issued. You'll need to go into the SSA building and put in a request when you get your GC.

And I did ask you a couple of questions in my previous post, response to which may shed some light on what is going on with your case but you obviously have decided to ignore them.

I didn't want to ignore but I apologize if it sounds so, I just preferred to put forward my thoughts with you. Here are the answers to your questions: there is no issue and also no other petition in the USCIS system (other than the address change that we requested once, which should not be counted as a separate petition). Also we have not applied for I-131 but we applied for I-765 with I-485 and we both received our EAD cards.