• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

Good call out @SusieQQQ re capital gains. In Australia, if it's the primary residence, there is no CGT to be paid. In the US, if you made $USD250k capital gains on a property you sold ($USD500k if you file as a couple), even it was in another country, that will be taxed by the US.

The US tax system is complicated. It's worth getting an accountant, in my opinion. Plus, accountants will get you deductions you didn't know you were entitled to.

Yup...we had swings and roundabouts on capital gains because the rate was lower where we came from, but so was the exemption on the primary residence. Honestly, unless you end up with only US income and can use turbotax, I'd pay someone to do it. And ditto re they will know about exemptions you don't know about.

Oh wow lots to look into then! Thanks for the solid advice.

On a different note, I have a B1/B2 visa. Will they cancel it at the interview? And since filing my DS-260 I've changed address, employer and have since graduated. Do I make sure they know all of that or it's irrelevant?

Oh wow lots to look into then! Thanks for the solid advice.

On a different note, I have a B1/B2 visa. Will they cancel it at the interview?

They'll cancel it if (when) you get issued with an immigrant visa.
Sometimes they forget to stamp it as cancelled but it's still cancelled :)
FYI if you have any other immigrant petition in process at the time (as we did) that also automatically gets cancelled once the DV immigrant visa is issued.

Hi guys,

On this topic is it gonna be a problem that my US bank account is registered at a different address to my GC? I know you have to update USCIS on your residing address in 10 days but that was only my activation trip. When I come back to the US will this be a problem?

Organising healthcare has been one of the more stressful things I've needed to organise. Once you arrive, you will need to have your SSN to enroll in ACA or a private health care plan. Adding complexity some states (NY and MD for eg) won't allow you to take short term, new immigrant coverage.

In NY, they have their own method of using ACA called NY State of Health. Each state has their own method of enrolling in ACA. It's important to have your passport and SSN on hand when trying to sign up. You'll need to let them know that you are a LPR and that you are not a naturalized citizen (they kept trying to tell me I was, and I had to fix it later in the process).

Suzie is correct in saying that they are trying to remove ACA. My policy is an Essentials 4 Plan through BlueShield which explicitly states I am covered through to the 31st of December 2017. I'm sure if the new administration were to make changes to ACA they would take a while to make, and there would be some form of grandfathering/implementation that will take time.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for providing your commentary on your progress to date, has been super helpful.

Just wondering how you ended up on the Health Insurance front, or also thoughts from anyone else. I understand you mentioned previously that most of those new immigrant plans that Britsimon has listed / has the FAQ on, did not apply for New York, so you had to wait for a couple of months until you had your SSN to get any coverage?

What did you do initially in terms of insurance for the 2 months prior to getting that coverage, is there anything else temporary available? Do other people tend to use travel insurance initially, however I would expect that this potentially wouldn't cover you as you are likely no longer a permanent resident of Australia after you depart on the trip.

I don't like the idea of being not-covered for a couple of months and am just trying to understand what the initial options are for New York specifically, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucas.

You will get your SSN around 2 weeks after you activate. So, if you are headed to NYC, you would only be uncovered for the period where you don't have your SSN.

Once you get your SSN, you can either get coverage through your employer or, if you don't have a job yet, buy directly off the exchanges.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for providing your commentary on your progress to date, has been super helpful.

Just wondering how you ended up on the Health Insurance front, or also thoughts from anyone else. I understand you mentioned previously that most of those new immigrant plans that Britsimon has listed / has the FAQ on, did not apply for New York, so you had to wait for a couple of months until you had your SSN to get any coverage?

What did you do initially in terms of insurance for the 2 months prior to getting that coverage, is there anything else temporary available? Do other people tend to use travel insurance initially, however I would expect that this potentially wouldn't cover you as you are likely no longer a permanent resident of Australia after you depart on the trip.

I don't like the idea of being not-covered for a couple of months and am just trying to understand what the initial options are for New York specifically, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Lucas.
Hi,

Emily is right saying you generally get the Ssn within two weeks, but I didn't!

I had to go uncovered. Travel insurance didn't do it, new immigrants didn't. I was a bit stuffed! There was a year cover by Bupa international but it was about $2.3K straight up.

I have a job now so I have great coverage!

Hi Guys

We plan to do our activation trip next month & spend 2 weeks or so in NYC to meet with recruiters, real estate agents etc. We'll open a bank account also but looking for advice on what else we should use this time for to help when we relocate later this year. Any suggestions from those with experience?

Thanks

Hi all. My husband and I have our brief activation trip to Hawaii coming up this week. I'm pretty sure I've done everything and have read over the email I got from the consulate when our visas were approved - eg. I know to bring our envelopes in our hand luggage - and the x-rays, although apparently these x-rays can be in checked baggage, yes? I've paid the visa fees online. Just getting to the nagging, "I must be forgetting something" thoughts. Do the immigration officers give you much of a grilling on first arrival?

Hi all. My husband and I have our brief activation trip to Hawaii coming up this week. I'm pretty sure I've done everything and have read over the email I got from the consulate when our visas were approved - eg. I know to bring our envelopes in our hand luggage - and the x-rays, although apparently these x-rays can be in checked baggage, yes? I've paid the visa fees online. Just getting to the nagging, "I must be forgetting something" thoughts. Do the immigration officers give you much of a grilling on first arrival?

Almost no grilling at all.

The only question we got asked on first entry was if we still wanted our green cards sent to the address on the forms or if we wanted to change it :)

Almost no grilling at all.
Good to hear. Last time we went through LAX (on an ESTA) I got a bit of an intimidating bully with a lot of rude questions about my listed occupation (writer) - like he didn't believe me. My partner (pre-us-getting married so he went to a different officer)- has the exact same occupation and didn't get any questions and had to stand there waiting for a stressed-out me to finish dealing with this jerk. So either a sexist or he thought I was planning on working or something. I've heard the officers are a bit more pleasant in Honolulu anyway.

I activated in Hawaii too. It was a very easy process. You join a line at the very end of the immigration hall. A majority of the people in the line are tourists, so hold your envelope in hand, so it can be seen by the officers. I was pulled out of the line and taken to a window. The guy was very casual and asked me to confirm my green card delivery address and asked for my US cellphone number. I didn't have one yet, so gave my boyfriend's number. Then he asked if I had any questions and sent me on my way. The whole process took 5 minutes and was easier than when I've entered the country on a ESTA. Enjoy your stay in Hawaii! The weather here has been stunning recently!

Good to hear. Last time we went through LAX (on an ESTA) I got a bit of an intimidating bully with a lot of rude questions about my listed occupation (writer) - like he didn't believe me. My partner (pre-us-getting married so he went to a different officer)- has the exact same occupation and didn't get any questions and had to stand there waiting for a stressed-out me to finish dealing with this jerk. So either a sexist or he thought I was planning on working or something. I've heard the officers are a bit more pleasant in Honolulu anyway.

There's a huge difference between entering as a tourist and with an immigrant visa. Obviously now you can't overstay illegally, and you've already been through a vetting process.

Hi,

Emily is right saying you generally get the Ssn within two weeks, but I didn't!

I had to go uncovered. Travel insurance didn't do it, new immigrants didn't. I was a bit stuffed! There was a year cover by Bupa international but it was about $2.3K straight up.

I have a job now so I have great coverage!

Thanks Emily and Ben for your comments.

I've had a bit of a further look into the Bupa international cover - reading the PDS it seems like that's also not available to US residents, so I think you'd be in the same boat as using travel insurance.

I've also been having a look around the NY health insurance marketplace, it seems there is scope there to get coverage without an SSN if you can prove your identity and residence, however it seems to be a bit of a chicken and egg issue with you needing either:
1. A NY state drivers license
2. A non-drivers ID card
3. Another form of government ID

I think most of these are only possible after you get the SSN or have been a resident for 90 days, so doesn't seem to help for the short term issues.

Thanks Emily and Ben for your comments.

I've had a bit of a further look into the Bupa international cover - reading the PDS it seems like that's also not available to US residents, so I think you'd be in the same boat as using travel insurance.

I've also been having a look around the NY health insurance marketplace, it seems there is scope there to get coverage without an SSN if you can prove your identity and residence, however it seems to be a bit of a chicken and egg issue with you needing either:
1. A NY state drivers license
2. A non-drivers ID card
3. Another form of government ID

I think most of these are only possible after you get the SSN or have been a resident for 90 days, so doesn't seem to help for the short term issues.

Several of the short term plans available through visitors coverage provide cover for residents of NY. Why don't you get one of those? They are fine for the short term.

Several of the short term plans available through visitors coverage provide cover for residents of NY. Why don't you get one of those? They are fine for the short term.
Could you please point to those? The one that you recommended on your blog specifically noted that they don't cover NY, MD and somewhere else.

I honestly called company after company from back home to NY to the greater USA. I found squarely one very expensive plan that would cover me only in 12 month blocks.

NB - tone is difficult to convey in text and I'm not trying to call people out, I just had a miserable and difficult time with my SSN and insurance.