"Your case has been delayed" letter from USCIS

compuser1973, equus_girl and other members

According to uscis average time for N400 is 5 months. Do you think after 5 or 6 months of our application we can call or at infopass we can open up a service request? When I went for infopass month ago, the lady said you need to wait for atleast 6 months to find out the status of application.

According to uscis average time for N400 is 5 months. Do you think after 5 or 6 months of our application we can call or at infopass we can open up a service request? When I went for infopass month ago, the lady said you need to wait for atleast 6 months to find out the status of application.

I was told the same thing - 6 months is normal processing time. I also saw today that current processing time is considered 5 months - so I suppose we should be able to initiate a service request at 5 month mark....

I have already filed two service requests, they do not do much :(
First was filed at San Francisco in mid August, and I got reply from Sacramento, where my file is "lost in transition" saying that "Although we are actively processing this case it required additional review." Second was filed with California Service Center over 1-800 number because my case it outside of standard processing time. I also received a very prompt reply, again from Sacramento, saying that "We have to perform additional review on this case and thi has caused a longer processing time."
Considering I am not under Sacramento judisdiction and they should not do any reviews on my file, I believe this are the standard replies the send to everyone, just because they have to reply to these service requests.

compuser1973 and A****t19, try to file service requests, it would be interesting to see whether the wording on replies is different frmo mine :) They are actually extremely fast with those. I filed first one on Monday and received a reply on Wednesday, and the second one was filed on Friday and reply came in next Thursday. I do not think they even actually check "the status of the case," but simply send standard letters back to us.

I was told the same thing - 6 months is normal processing time. I also saw today that current processing time is considered 5 months - so I suppose we should be able to initiate a service request at 5 month mark....

I think the processing time is varied by district. When I called 800 and they told me the Houston DO is processing Jan 2009 N400 cases, it's not my turn yet even I know many April, May, June even July filer got their interviews or oath done. Nothing we can do, just wait... I was told if the processing date past my date then I can file the service request.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called USCIS again today and the 1st level CSR was kind enough to escalate the call. The second level IO informed me that yesterday they have sent a message to the local DO to schedule me for an interview.

He also confirmed what my infopass appointment IO had said - both sets of FPs were unreadable.

I am hoping he is telling me the real deal and so will wait for a couple of weeks to see if I actually will get an IL. Will keep you all posted.

I called USCIS again today and the 1st level CSR was kind enough to escalate the call. The second level IO informed me that yesterday they have sent a message to the local DO to schedule me for an interview.

He also confirmed what my infopass appointment IO had said - both sets of FPs were unreadable.

I am hoping he is telling me the real deal and so will wait for a couple of weeks to see if I actually will get an IL. Will keep you all posted.

Did your online status change?

I have already filed two service requests, they do not do much :(
First was filed at San Francisco in mid August, and I got reply from Sacramento, where my file is "lost in transition" saying that "Although we are actively processing this case it required additional review." Second was filed with California Service Center over 1-800 number because my case it outside of standard processing time. I also received a very prompt reply, again from Sacramento, saying that "We have to perform additional review on this case and thi has caused a longer processing time."
Considering I am not under Sacramento judisdiction and they should not do any reviews on my file, I believe this are the standard replies the send to everyone, just because they have to reply to these service requests.

compuser1973 and A****t19, try to file service requests, it would be interesting to see whether the wording on replies is different frmo mine :) They are actually extremely fast with those. I filed first one on Monday and received a reply on Wednesday, and the second one was filed on Friday and reply came in next Thursday. I do not think they even actually check "the status of the case," but simply send standard letters back to us.

I have applied on June 2nd, so it will be four months on first week of October. Do you think I should file service request and can you and other members tell me how I do that. Thank you

I have applied on June 2nd, so it will be four months on first week of October. Do you think I should file service request and can you and other members tell me how I do that. Thank you

I do not think they will open SR for you as "normal processing time" is 7 months :( My priority date is January 16, so I am way beyong posted USCIS and local office timelines. As to how to open SR, first level IO will suggest it him/herself as soon as they see that you are outside processing time (this happened when I call the hotline,) or in case there is something weird going on, like in my case when the file was routed to wrong office, I made an INFOPASS and went to local office where they offerered opening SR for me.

Since you applied only in June, I do not think you should be worried as of yet :) I know its very discouraging to see other people who applied after you already receving their passports, but, unfortunately, all we can do is wait and stay optimistic.

Hi guys,

It seems to me that the standard phrases form the USCIS responses like
"the case undergoes additional checks", "background checks have not been finished", etc mean that the FBI name check has not been finished yet.
I wonder if you tried to get the definite answer from the USCIS on the status of your FBI name checks. Basically, unless the FBI check is completed, the USCIS can not do a thing and it will keep sitting idly on the file as far as I understand.

I saw somewhere on the USCIS site this summer that the FBI plans to finish all checks in three months. If this is the case, then the delay time can not be much bigger than three months. This begs a question: do you know anybody on the forum who, say, filled a petition last year and is still waiting for the decision? I am not aware about such people. This probably confirms the fact that the name checks are done now in three months maximum.

I would try to check with the USCIS whether (and since when) the FBI name check is pending. If it is three months old, I would start pounding on the doors (the only question is on which doors :) ).

Good luck to everyone.

P.S. Of course, there could be in principle other possible reasons for delay as well, like sending a file to Sacramento instead of SF. However, it seems to me that for the majority of the delayed cases, the real reason is the background check.

I do not think they will open SR for you as "normal processing time" is 7 months :( My priority date is January 16, so I am way beyong posted USCIS and local office timelines. As to how to open SR, first level IO will suggest it him/herself as soon as they see that you are outside processing time (this happened when I call the hotline,) or in case there is something weird going on, like in my case when the file was routed to wrong office, I made an INFOPASS and went to local office where they offerered opening SR for me.

Since you applied only in June, I do not think you should be worried as of yet :) I know its very discouraging to see other people who applied after you already receving their passports, but, unfortunately, all we can do is wait and stay optimistic.

Thank you.

Hi guys,

It seems to me that the standard phrases form the USCIS responses like
"the case undergoes additional checks", "background checks have not been finished", etc mean that the FBI name check has not been finished yet.
I wonder if you tried to get the definite answer from the USCIS on the status of your FBI name checks. Basically, unless the FBI check is completed, the USCIS can not do a thing and it will keep sitting idly on the file as far as I understand.

I saw somewhere on the USCIS site this summer that the FBI plans to finish all checks in three months. If this is the case, then the delay time can not be much bigger than three months. This begs a question: do you know anybody on the forum who, say, filled a petition last year and is still waiting for the decision? I am not aware about such people. This probably confirms the fact that the name checks are done now in three months maximum.

I would try to check with the USCIS whether (and since when) the FBI name check is pending. If it is three months old, I would start pounding on the doors (the only question is on which doors :) ).

Good luck to everyone.

P.S. Of course, there could be in principle other possible reasons for delay as well, like sending a file to Sacramento instead of SF. However, it seems to me that for the majority of the delayed cases, the real reason is the background check.

In my case I don't understand what is causing a delay. I had applied first time in February 6, 2009 and I had interview on June 2nd 2009. The entire process was done in less than 4 months but unfortunately I had to withdraw the application at interview because I had applied too early.
On June 2nd I applied again and by my time line in signature you can see I have received Yellow letter almost 2 months ago. Do you think my file is (the one they sent to local office for my first interview) miss place or has not made it back to central filing system? I am just wondering if everything was ok 4 months ago ( 1st time) than why it is taking long 2nd time.

Hi,

The fact that you reached the interview stage the first time around would suggest that *probably* your name check is OK and the reason for the delay could be some kind of file misplacement etc. Of course, it is just a guess, as there could be many other reasons. I am not sure how your first application could have contributed to the delay- there are no obvious explanations. If you know for sure that it is not the name check, I would keep knocking on the USCIS door from time to time to see if there are any news. I know that this must be very frustrating.

For the majority of the delays, the reason is the name check. Obviously, it would be nice to know the exact reason. I recall that when I applied for the green card in 2002-2004, the FBI had an email address (different from the one for FP) which would provide the status of the name check. They do not have such service now for the name check status(as they got too many inquiries).

fine&jadwin

When I called first time USCIS (after 2 months of application and after 5 weeks of FP) the second level IO told me that my background check (or name check, can't remember) is not clear yet. After this I tried to call every week and talked to few second level IO and they said your application is still at NBC and they refused to say anything about name check or background check. I also have tried info pass and got same answer "your application is in process and interview letter is not out yet".

I did my FP 3 weeks earlier than scheduled day because I had appointment for Biometrics for I-131 (Re-entry permit) on that day which was approved in a month. I applied N400 on June 2nd and I-131 applied on June 3rd via express mail. I don’t know if this has delayed N400.

Do you think I am stuck in name check or background check? or this is just a delay. Thank you for reply.

Hi,

Since for 90% of the applicants, the name check is done in six days or less, the fact that five weeks after the FP the name check was not cleared suggests that at one point you were stuck in it (as far as I can see). Maybe it is done by now...

Good luck.