You may not meet the continuous residence requirement - Warning

guestgulkan

I get the below yellow warning in the online USCIS N-400 "Where you have lived" section

"You may not meet the continuous residence requirement
If you left the United States for more than a year during the last 5 years, you may have broken your continuous residence.

You can continue filling out your application and submit it, and we will contact you if we have any questions or need additional information."

For the first year after I got my greencard I continued to live in Australia - however I did come back to the USA at the 5 month mark for a quick 3 day trip. I have never been out of the USA for more than 6 months. I moved permanently to the USA in January 2017 before the end of my first year.

I know there are a hundred topics on this but just thought I'd run it past everyone.

If you can wait and file five years after you moved to the US for good, that would be best. They could deny you for breaking continuous residence, and it's not worth the hassle if you don't need citizenship urgently.

Gulkan, are you submitting near the start of the 90 day window? My experience with the online window is it calculates as at the actual date you are submitting, not taking the early filing period into account. I remember getting a similar warning for mine but I decided it was due to the early filing option (it wasn’t 5 years yet at the time I filed) . Had no problem at my interview.

Gulkan, are you submitting near the start of the 90 day window? My experience with the online window is it calculates as at the actual date you are submitting, not taking the early filing period into account. I remember getting a similar warning for mine but I decided it was due to the early filing option (it wasn’t 5 years yet at the time I filed) . Had no problem at my interview.

Yes about a week after the 90 day window.

I put my residences as Australia for the first year, even though my travel is within the legal limits.