Yay! Got my citizenship! Through military

HannahSun

Registered Users (C)
I posted on here some months ago and just wanted to share that I got my citizenship on April 7 at the Baltimore office. I applied based on my military service, I have served 8 years in the military.

For those wondering about military time lines, the whole process for me took 4 months. My packet was received on January 12th and on April 7th, I had the interview and oat ceremony.

Now, I had taken a 11 month trip back in 2007 and I prepared all the documents I needed to prove I did not break my continuous residence. Bank statements, taxes, credit card statements. However, the IO never asked for anything. He did ask why I was gone for so long, I explained and we moved on. This was the only trip I had taken out side of the U.S in the last 5 years. Now, I'm aware that I am actually exempt from the continuous residence rule because I applied based on my military status, but I just wanted to cover all my bases. Just in case, you never know.

All in all it was a great experience for me, I wish the same to you ALL!

I posted on here some months ago and just wanted to share that I got my citizenship on April 7 at the Baltimore office. I applied based on my military service, I have served 8 years in the military.

Why did it take you 8 years to apply. I thought you could apply right after one year of service, either as a reserve soldier or active duty soldier?

Why did it take you 8 years to apply. I thought you could apply right after one year of service, either as a reserve soldier or active duty soldier?

Just a personal choice as to why it took me that long, just as I joined the military for personal reasons as well, not really for the sole purpose of being a citizen. Yes, I believe that you can apply only after a year of service.

Oh, wanted to add when talking to the IO he did mention something about there being a difference between reserve soldier and active duty, he did not elaborate on that though and I didn't asked. He just mentioned something about the rules being different, what ever that means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I had taken a 11 month trip back in 2007 and I prepared all the documents I needed to prove I did not break my continuous residence. Bank statements, taxes, credit card statements. However, the IO never asked for anything. He did ask why I was gone for so long, I explained and we moved on.

Yes, I was wondering why you would go with your taxes, bank statements, credit card bills etc,as these are not required for Naturalization?

Now, I had taken a 11 month trip back in 2007 and I prepared all the documents I needed to prove I did not break my continuous residence. Bank statements, taxes, credit card statements. However, the IO never asked for anything. He did ask why I was gone for so long, I explained and we moved on.

Yes, I was wondering why you would go with your taxes, bank statements, credit card bills etc,as these are not required for Naturalization?

In general, you do know that if you take a trip outside of the U.S that lasts 11 months,( anything more then 6 months to a year) you are presumed to have broken your continuous residence? That stands if you are not applying based on military status.

Even though I applied based on military status and was exempt I thought it'd be better to play it safe. You just really never know and it did not hurt me to gather some information I already had laying around. Better safe then sorry.

Same question on people applying for N-400 with taxreturns, i am getting confused here. Does it states that we have to submit our taxtranscripts when fillin for N-400?

Same question on people applying for N-400 with taxreturns, i am getting confused here. Does it states that we have to submit our taxtranscripts when fillin for N-400?

No it doesn't, and I didn't submit them but the IO will most likely ask for them during the interview, although nowhere does it say that we need those documents.

The interview letter document checklist states to bring tax receipts for marriage based and for trips over 6 months. Unless you have prove martial ties or prove continuous residency, tax receipts will most likely not be asked for.