would one year out of US affect my citizenship application

oven

Registered Users (C)
I have about less than one year to apply for my citizenship. I stayed in the US for the past four years and worked as a researcher in a hospital. I recently moved to Asia due to job opportunity. would the "last year out of US" a problem if I want to come back to apply for the citizenship next year?

Thanks in advance for advices.

If you hadn't applied for re-entry permit before you left USA and you stay outside USA for a year, it may affect your citizenship application.

I have about less than one year to apply for my citizenship. I stayed in the US for the past four years and worked as a researcher in a hospital. I recently moved to Asia due to job opportunity. would the "last year out of US" a problem if I want to come back to apply for the citizenship next year?

Thanks in advance for advices.

Was the move to Asia with a US based company?
If you stay outside the US for more than 12 months, you will have broken continuous residency requirement for naturalization.
Also, if you don't have a reentry permit you'll be jeopardizing your GC by staying outside US for more than 12 months.

If you hadn't applied for re-entry permit before you left USA and you stay outside USA for a year, it may affect your citizenship application.

Not may, but will affect citizenship application regardless of if the OP applies for a reentry permit since continuous residency requirement will have been broken.

thanks for the kindly suggestions. I am not working for a US based company now and didn't apply for re-entry so far as I just left US about one month ago. But if I come back for short term visit from now on, is it good enough to keep my US residence status? if so, can I still apply for citizenship? I know the worst scenario is to stay in the US till the time for citizenship. but there is not much job opportunity here.

Taking a job with a foreign company while on GC is a big NO for immigration. Not only your naturalization, but eventually your GC will be in danger. Taking a job abroad for a foreign company is incompatible with being a permanent resident of the US. I hope this is common sense. When you fill out your N-400 and you list your address abroad and your job abroad I don't think you'll have much of a chance of naturalizing. This is just my opinion, not based in any actual case.