Would a TN Visa help?

rwc321

I will be contracting with a firm in the US as a Canadian citizen doing remote work out of Canada. I could obtain a TN visa as my occupation falls under one of the TN categories and the US firm is willing to sponsor it. I will spend the large majority of my time in Canada, but there are some trade shows and conferences in the US that I may visit from time to time (every month or so), and I may also go down to meet with the employees of the US firm just to build a good relationship (so both formal meetings and activities outside of the office).

I am curious if I should obtain the TN visa to make the travel across the border smoother or if I will be allowed entry without any issues even without a TN.

If you can get a TN, it is better, but you only need the TN on your way down to such an event. No need to go through the bother (with COVID) of getting one before you need it. You would need to check with the border to see if your activities would be allowed under a B1 entry (but that fact that you would be getting paid by the US firm would likely make this not possible).
Remember that your firm, by hiring a Cdn living and working in Canada, they must adhere to Cdn payroll and work standards, regardless of any US work status you might obtain.

If you can get a TN, it is better, but you only need the TN on your way down to such an event. No need to go through the bother (with COVID) of getting one before you need it. You would need to check with the border to see if your activities would be allowed under a B1 entry (but that fact that you would be getting paid by the US firm would likely make this not possible).
Remember that your firm, by hiring a Cdn living and working in Canada, they must adhere to Cdn payroll and work standards, regardless of any US work status you might obtain.
Thank you Nelsona. I am a new member and truly appreciate your expert answers. Is there a minimum amount of time you have to stay in the US to obtain/ keep the TN visa? (in the same situation, working remotely in Canada for a US company)

No. You do not need a TN if you are not in US, so the question is moot. If you have a TN, and you maintain a relationship with your sponsor, your TN remains valid, although it is not being used.