Would a TN visa be required in my situation?

qu0vad1s

Registered Users (C)
Hey,

First of all, i'm a new user here. I'm a french Canadian from Quebec city.

I have been offered a job for a US company which is the kind of once in a lifetime opportunity so I want to catch it. They're offering me to work for this US company (Based in the Washington state), but remotely from my house in Qc. I'd have to travel there 3-4 times a year for around a week each time for meetings and such. It would be a permanent job as an employee for this company, no time limited contract or such. As far as I know, they would pay me in USD$ in an account i'd need to create in the US once I get there (If that has any impact on the rest).

Since I already have my house, cars, wife and kids back home, I have no intention what-so-ever to move down there on a short term basis.

So here are my questions :
1- Would a TN visa be required since I'd only be physically in the US 3-4 weeks/year and would be working from home the rest of the time?
2- My resume fits well the Computer Systems Analyst job of the NAFTA, I do have a degree issued in 2002 but it's a 1 year degree. I do have near 10 years experience and a bunch of other related certifications tho. Would that be enough to be able to get that TN visa?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

If the firm hires you as an emplyee, and you work in Canada, you do not need a visa -- HOWEVER, they need to pay you as a QC employee (EI, QPP, Cdn and QC tax witholding).

The time you are in US would be a business visitor. Some get a TN for theur time in US (its simpler), but not required -- as long as you are working and living in Canada predominantly. You are simply ona business trip.

How could they pay me here in QC? Is that even possible for them to have all taxes and such to go straight to provincial and federal governments in canada since they're a US based company?

I guess they would have to find out themselves, but i'm just curious :)

Not having to struggle to get a visa would be awesome :)

That is the point. They need to establish a QC payroll for you --- or they need to pay you simply asa contractor with no benefits.

Well the head office for this company is located in Mtl... they might be able to pull something off from there.

Good news for those who wonder, they're gonna have me on a canadian payroll so no visa required. yaah :)

Good news as in less trouble to get my new job (no visa required and all). Sure i'd get more money out of the deal if i'd be as a contractor, but i'd also need to struggle with all the crap coming with it (Taxes and all the legal stuff) which I am very happy not to have to deal with... for now :)