Worried - Check not cashed

I think the sad thing is that the people who had to apply after the fee increase are getting killed from both sides. Their applications are badly delayed and on top of that they pay more. Don't shoot me, but I think USCIS should have inverted priorities for a while, processing the applications sent after the fee increase first, and then the ones sent before the fee increase. Either that or somewhat they have to make it for the people who paid the larger fee after the fee increase. Perhaps they should do as the State Department and give refunds to people who applied after the fee increase and are getting poorer service in return.

Oh well Huracan - I would "have to" disagree with your opinion: USCIS should process appls based on "FirstInFirstOut" model ;-)

Hura,
You are so wrong on this issue. Why should people who mailed before the hike get bad service just because the agency is inept? The agency should have expected this mess and acted accordingly.
The worse thing is the people are in limbo not knowing if their checks will be accepted or rejected without the agency looking at postmark date. If rejected then they have lost 2 months for nothing .

The receipt notices are getting delayed, so what? The FP notices are what matters and that will be delayed for everyone.

Hey,

I said don't shoot me ;) I don't think I am so wrong. It is like the passport application, there is a routine and expedite service. In this case the people who applied after the fee increase should get expedite service and the other routine service. It seems fair to me. On the other hand for people who paid after the fee increase it would mean paying for not improved service. That's an idea, of course the other idea I have and I am thinking about contacting the citizenship ombudsman is that USCIS shouldn't have done this big increase, it is better to do small incremental fee increases to avoid this application avalanches and consequent delays.

Anyway, don't want to start a flame war over something this small. We all agree that USCIS should give much better service. I am sitting here thinking in my N-600 application for my child. It took three weeks just to cash the check. In that time I got my child's passport. How can one justify that USCIS takes six or seven months to process something that department of State can do in a couple of weeks for a fraction of the cost and produces a more hi-tech document than the certificate of citizenship. It is absurd and bordering thievery.

But the fee hike is not for expedited service, it is to cover cost increases. The fee hike gets new guys the same routine service itself. You are missing the point because now all applicants have to pay the higher fee but get the same service which used to cost less a few months back!!

I respectfully disagree. The new fees were supposed to bring better service. Please read this snippet from one of USCIS pages about the new fees:
"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is implementing a new fee structure that ensures appropriate funding to meet national security requirements and customer service needs, and modernizes an outdated business infrastructure. The new fee structure is built around a foundation of Strategic Pillars designed to enhance and sustain a secure and efficient immigration system. Those pillars are, Enhancing the Security and Integrity of the Immigration System, Improving Service Delivery, and Modernizing Business Infrastructure."

Anyway, I am not going to split hairs here, it is just that I feel certain unfairness. I know nothing is going to be done, and it is going to be first in first out and the people paying the new fees are going to see worse service for now (or forever).

PS: I'll add some other snippets as I find them. I think exhibits A, B, C and so on clearly show that USCIS was promising improved processing times with the new fees :)

"This final rule will provide sufficient funding for USCIS to meet national security, customer service, and processing time goals, and to sustain and improve service delivery."
"Further, as also indicated in the proposed rule, USCIS is committed to a twenty-percent average reduction in case processing times by the end of FY 2009, which will extend improvements in processing times and service delivery across the spectrum of applications and petitions.
The proposed fee structure commits USCIS to real improvements as it is not built simply on today’s productivity rates, but on anticipated increases in productivity (four percent for the Adjustment of Status Application, and two percent for all other products). USCIS is accountable for these productivity increases in order for fees to support operations as intended."

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I agree the fee hike was to improve service. But that still doesn't mean that people applying in July suddenly become 2nd class and get poor service.
The inherent problem with charging more for faster service is that there will be always people willing to pay much more for even faster service. Here's a million $, now I want my passport/greencard/approval YESTERDAY ;-)
Hence my post about FIFO being the only way to handle this mess.

Hi- my check was cashed 9/24.
I sent my application on 7/27 and they received it 7/31. I'm glad to know that at least they did not return my app...I see that some folks had theirs returned by error due to confusion about recent fee increase.

My check was cashed on 10/17/2007 and I mailed my App to the CSC on 7/28/07 and they recieved it on 8/9/2007...

I am sure they are still weeding through all of them...

Waiting to check to be cashed

I mailed my App to the Nebraska on 7/28/07. Still waiting for check to be cashed. I read somewhere about they extending their response timeframe to 90 days. My app is almost at 90 days now.

I mailed my App to the Nebraska on 7/28/07. Still waiting for check to be cashed. I read somewhere about they extending their response timeframe to 90 days. My app is almost at 90 days now.

USCIS shows time frame for N400 receipt up to 15 weeks. Inquire with them after that time has passed if you still haven't received receipt.

finalfrontier,

When did your application arrive at NSC? My wife's application arrived on July 30 and the check was just cashed yesterday. I guess the processing date on USCIS web site is pretty accurate and it may be updated to 7/30 this Friday. I do not know if inquiry will help much. Just hang in there and wait.

X

Thank you. I was't aware about such link. I just checked..it is showing 7/29. I did not send via certified or with return receipt (though I should have)...so no idea when they received it. But I mailed it on 27th. So I guess I should see some action within next 4-5 days.

Thank you. I was't aware about such link. I just checked..it is showing 7/29. I did not send via certified or with return receipt (though I should have)...so no idea when they received it. But I mailed it on 27th. So I guess I should see some action within next 4-5 days.

If you mailed it July 27th, USCIS probably received it July 30-31. 15 weeks from that date brings you to November 13th, so if you haven't heard anything by them I would inquire.

NSC responded to my I-400 application

Finally, today I received acknowledgement from INS. Waiting for interview letter now. Any idea how long it is taking nowdays to get an invite for interview?

Thanks.