• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Working without a SSN

Zootfish

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Just a question for those of you who are already in the USA.

When you arrived in the states, how long did it take for you to receive your Social Security Number? And also, were you able to obtain employment before you got it?

Is working before receiving your SSN an option?

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure which state you plan to go, but where i live in North East, you do not get a job without a SSN, unless you get one that pays cash. But in your situation I think it is better to wait for your Social security card and green card when you come in the country, because it takes on average a month to get these after your entrance in the states, meanwhile you can settle down and then start looking for a job. Good luck and once in the US think twice about everything and take smart decisions.
Hi All,

Just a question for those of you who are already in the USA.

When you arrived in the states, how long did it take for you to receive your Social Security Number? And also, were you able to obtain employment before you got it?

Is working before receiving your SSN an option?

Thanks in advance!

You need a SSN before you are allowed to work. The quickest way to get it is to go to the SSN office and you will have your number when you walk out the door and the card within days.

You need a SSN before you are allowed to work. The quickest way to get it is to go to the SSN office and you will have your number when you walk out the door and the card within days.

Does this cause a problem though if you've asked for the SSN process to happen on your visa application?

You need SSN before you get job.It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember your SSN, as it is the only proof your identity. The law assumes that, NO ONE other than you except your Employers, Banking person, Credit card companies and other Financial related people knows that number. It is FRAUD if someone in the above list steals these number and distribute or use for something else. So, the only way to identify your IDENTITY is by SSN. Typically, people ask for LAST 4 digits of SSN on phone. You should say only last four. NEVER EVER say FULL SSN on phone to anyone or tell it to anyone. It is supposed to be maintained secretly and you should only know it. It is used to track your personal info in a lot of places, especially your financial, immigration related info like your credit history, driving history, rental history, etc. Honestly, it is part and parcel of your life in US. Almost every single detail of you is tracked by SSN.

don't you worry about ssn ...you not gonna find work anyway so using a ssn or working without it is a mote point in all this ...good luck but i have to tell you if you are comming over from europe or australia you better think twice before comming at all over here ...:confused:

btw you have btter chance to find a job WITHOUT a ssn then declaring youself a GC holder ..trust me on that one ..no mater what bozos from abowe write ..it is THAT BAD and its not getting any better ...

Last edited by a moderator:
And what are you talking about Praha. Please elaborate. What kinder jobs are you talking about when you say you not gonna find work anyway. I`ll be coming in from Africa, haven`t won yet but I know May 1st I will be celebratin. I intend to carry on with my accounting/audit career. Got a newsletter from Deloitte today and this is what they are sayin."Our Global CEO, Jim Quigley was on ABC News this week, discussing plans to increase our payroll by 10,000. “We are projecting now...to return to our pre-recession hiring levels. So I'm delighted in the U.S. we are going to be increasing that hiring plan by 60 percent."

And what are you talking about Praha. Please elaborate. What kinder jobs are you talking about when you say you not gonna find work anyway. I`ll be coming in from Africa, haven`t won yet but I know May 1st I will be celebratin. I intend to carry on with my accounting/audit career. Got a newsletter from Deloitte today and this is what they are sayin."Our Global CEO, Jim Quigley was on ABC News this week, discussing plans to increase our payroll by 10,000. “We are projecting now...to return to our pre-recession hiring levels. So I'm delighted in the U.S. we are going to be increasing that hiring plan by 60 percent."

you comming over from africa to be accounting officer ..what do you think you gonna actualy work here ??..there is nothing to count !!..this country has to grow by 5% every year till 2020 to OFFSET THIS CRISIS .. and to employ average 600 000 people per month till year 2017 to diminish unemployment caused by this crisis ..not to mentioned that US DEBD HAS REACHED 120% OF THE GROSS ANUAL NATIONAL PRODUCT ...deloite is one of the companies who cut their work force by 1/3 since begining of the crisis ..they not gonna hire for sure no matter they are saying publicly ..you can see on lots of places signs saying help wanted or you can even find a lots of adds here saying''taking applications '' but nobody is hiring ..they just keep you on the books in the case economy starts to recover ...but the truth it is not ...you gonna be wasting your time comming over ..seriously i think you gonna regret your decision in no time ...situation is getting worse by the day ...not many people has guts to admit that ..and even on this forum people arev talking with confidence about the things they don't know ...this country is in for very hard times ..and when i say hard times ..I mean hard times bordering on despair ...simply put it ..there is no industry or ideas to pull it out of the crisis ..politicians lost their marble and only are lining their pockets with cash and privileges ..since you are from africa you know how it goes anyway ..same thing you are trying to escape from is ALREADY WAITING YOU HERE on this side of the ocean

Last edited by a moderator:
Praha what is wrong with you, you create an image of US, that you probably saw in your nightmares. Let people do whatever they want without you telling them that they would regret it. I came here almoast 5 years ago and never regret it. If your life sucks and you see everything grey than that's your problem, let other people do something for themselves to make it better.

Praha;
By your words,if this picture is true and if u are an immigrant I'd expect you to have returned to your home country long ago.seems your reasons for immigration may have been to become an activist of some sort which I guess majority of us do not intend to be.' Little chicken, the sky is falling'

Praha;
By your words,if this picture is true and if u are an immigrant I'd expect you to have returned to your home country long ago.seems your reasons for immigration may have been to become an activist of some sort which I guess majority of us do not intend to be.' Little chicken, the sky is falling'

Thanks NuvF, natta and my2011. Praha you almost crushed me. But I`d prefer to see for myself and tell my own story

Rimwezuva

That's all what matters at the end of the day... Your own story!
you guys are very ignorant i must say ..it looks like you have no clue where you going at all
..but i wish you a the best ..anyway ..

hm what kind of activist i become ?..i just say what i see

to a guy abowe ..if you coming over at least avoid NEW JERSEY ..its a most corrupt /bankrupt /crime ridden /high taxes state ..people are moving OUT OF NJ..not going to it ..!

Praha what is wrong with you, you create an image of US, that you probably saw in your nightmares. Let people do whatever they want without you telling them that they would regret it. I came here almoast 5 years ago and never regret it. If your life sucks and you see everything grey than that's your problem, let other people do something for themselves to make it better.

your user id should be ''NUTTER''

well i came 7 years ago ..but last 2-3 are turning into nightmare as you said ...but not only for me but also for 30 MILLION OTHER AMERICANS .. if you realy do live here then I GUESS YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT ..so if you asked me 3 years ago if I did regret comming over ..answer would be NO ..but today it will be YES...

House rent

Hi guyz, please can you guyz that are already in America give us insight on housing and rents. How much does 1, 2 and 3 bed room flat cost? What are the conditions of payment, e.g 1,2, 3 month or so payment in advance?

I happen to own a property management company....

Depending on what State you want to rent but the average requires, first month, last month and security deposit if you have a rental history and depending on your credit history. Since you won't have one we would require more down payments upfront.

Already too many people have to pay more due to their bad credit and huge amount of debt. The next step usually is that they declare bankrupcy that is why.

So bring cash, no checks allowed on move in unless you rent from a private person who has no clue.

Bentlebee

Which state are u in? I hopefully want to reside in new jersey. I see rents for 1B/R average around $750. Given the conditions you have outlined above does it mean I will need $2250 to get an apartment?