Working permit and SSN

airin

Registered Users (C)
Hi all......

I just got my working permit, and my visa status is F-1 student visa. If I want to work, can I write mySSN in the application form (I got my SSN before I am applying for EAD, and there is statement in my SSN that I can't work without BCIS authorization)

Thanks in advance

Airin

yes. But you also need to apply with SSA to get the "not authorized to work" notation taken off...

Thanks Jaxen,

Actually I have tried to apply in there to take off the stamp (which said can not work w.o. authorization). But the officer say that I can not do that until I have my green card or my passport got stamped with I-551.

What do you think, Jaxen?

Originally posted by airin
Hi all......

I just got my working permit, and my visa status is F-1 student visa. If I want to work, can I write mySSN in the application form (I got my SSN before I am applying for EAD, and there is statement in my SSN that I can't work without BCIS authorization)

Thanks in advance

Airin

You can work and use your SSN. You already have work authorization. The restrictive phrase on SS card is not a problem at all.

airin,
The BCIS/INS authorization that is required as per the annotation on your social security card, is satisfied by the EAD. Hence you will need to show both(SSN card + EAD) when filing the I-9 to start working.

Thanks......

So, You mean that it is OK to work with a not-allowed-to-work-stamp in my SSN if I can show my EAD?
Btw, what is I-9?

Thank you very much.....

I-9 is the document that records your identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Every employee whether a US citizen or not has to fill out I-9. Employer representative (usually HR) will fill out a portion of I-9 after verifying documents presented by the employee. Employers have to keep I-9 records on ALL employees at all times and upto 3 years after an employee leaves.

EAD is an acceptable and sufficient document to establish BOTH identity AND employment authorization. SS card is not required to be shown if you have a valid EAD. Similarly SS card is not required to be shown for I-9 if you have a greean card, the card alone established identity and employment authorization.

In your case EAD alone will be sifficient to fulfil I-9 requirements.

I hope this brief explanation is helpful!

Originally posted by airin
hanks......

So, You mean that it is OK to work with a not-allowed-to-work-stamp in my SSN if I can show my EAD?
Btw, what is I-9?

Thank you very much.....