Working date from date of approval

tulc_331

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how long I need to wait before I can start working for the new employer.

1) Can I start working for the new employer as soon as my status on USCIS website shows my visa is approved?
2) Or should I wait till I get the documents and complete the paper work?

In second case, how long does it usually take for someone to get these documents, complete the paperwork after the date of approval?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Assuming that you are already in H1B and in USA, you can start working for the new company as soon they get the Receipt number for your I129 petition. You don't need to wait till the approval.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not an attorney. These are my own views or experiences

Can a H4 to H1 applicant start working for the new employer as soon as the USCIS website shows Change of Status from H4 to H1 as approved?

Please let me know.

Yes, Since your visa status is already valid on H4 and changed to H1 you can start working once your H1 is approved. You don't need to wait for your papers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Iam not an attorney, these are my experiences or views.

maverick_02 said:
Can a H4 to H1 applicant start working for the new employer as soon as the USCIS website shows Change of Status from H4 to H1 as approved?

Please let me know.

rg140 said:
Yes, Since your visa status is already valid on H4 and changed to H1 you can start working once your H1 is approved. You don't need to wait for your papers.

Iam not an attorney, these are my experiences or views.

It's a little minor detail, though.... If it is the brandnew H1 petition, approval of COS/H1 does not mean they can start working.
THey can start working if COS is approved and start date is reached. Remember status will be changed to H1 when start date comes.

Last edited by a moderator: