Work permit help!

sadsoul

Registered Users (C)
Its been more than 6 months from the date I applied.
I have been waiting for my decision for last 6 weeks.
I am going to apply for my work permit tomorrow.
Also, I have my opt with me which will expire this July. MY questions:

1)Can anyone tell what documents do I need to submit?
2)How many pictures/what size?
3)Since I had OPT, will it be "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment"?
4)At No.16, what is the category?
5)How long will it take to get the permit?

3)Since I had OPT, will it be "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment"?

Hi sadsoul! I don't have OPT, but I will try to help you with my experience.
1. I submitted FP notice, copy of my passport, I-94, form I-765. Since you had interview already, add also your interview invitation.
2. 2 passport photos, they have standard, I don't know the exact size, 2*2 i guess, but it called passport photo. Write on the back of the photo your name and A number.
4. My category was c08 (pending asylum)
5. It's almost 2 month since I applied, but still nothing. It takes from 30 to 90 days. Wish you to get your approval letter fast, so you don't have to worry about your EAD. Good luck.

Hi sadsoul! I don't have OPT, but I will try to help you with my experience.
1. I submitted FP notice, copy of my passport, I-94, form I-765. Since you had interview already, add also your interview invitation.
2. 2 passport photos, they have standard, I don't know the exact size, 2*2 i guess, but it called passport photo. Write on the back of the photo your name and A number.
4. My category was c08 (pending asylum)
5. It's almost 2 month since I applied, but still nothing. It takes from 30 to 90 days. Wish you to get your approval letter fast, so you don't have to worry about your EAD. Good luck.

Thanks a lot Asylum2012,
So, I guess I will be writing C08 as the category as well right? I hope it doesn't matter and is of same category if its pending asylum before or after the interview. My opt is expiring this July and I eligible for another 18 months extensions but I am planning to drop my status and get the asylum based work permit. I have a feeling that me being in status is creating a delay in this result. :(

You can only apply for a work permit 6 months after your interview. 6 weeks wont work!

You can only apply for a work permit 6 months after your interview. 6 weeks wont work!

not 6 months after interview, but you are allowed to submit your work permit 150 days or around 5 months after the date they received your application.
But then they only able to issue the work permit 6 months from the date they received your asylum application (or around 1 month after they received your work permit application).

When I had my first interview, the officer said that my residency documents were not enough and said she will reschedule the interview. I mailed my documents the same day and it got delivered in 3 days.
I got the second interview letter after 2 months. Since, the AO delayed my interview, will it stop the clock and make me ineligible for ead or I can apply for an ead?

If you count the delay from the first time, it will be 4.5 months else its 6.5 months?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had my first interview, the officer said that my residency documents were not enough and said she will reschedule the interview. I mailed my documents the same day and it got delivered in 3 days.
I got the second interview letter after 2 months. Since, the AO delayed my interview, will it stop the clock and make me ineligible for ead or I can apply for an ead?

If you count the delay from the first time, it will be 4.5 months else its 6.5 months?

Sadsoul, In your case, From 1.5 month ago it was ok to apply for EAD. Why you are not applying?! Dont hesitate.

Ok, I will file it tomorrow.
In my current immigration status, what should I put?
I am in my opt which is valid till July 2013 and a pending asylum.

So, put both, put opt or put pending asylum?

Ok, I will file it tomorrow.
In my current immigration status, what should I put?
I am in my opt which is valid till July 2013 and a pending asylum.

So, put both, put opt or put pending asylum?

You are applying based on pending asylum, so use pending asylum

ndsrego Cap

Hi All,

At the end of this month, i'll be eiligible to apply for my EAD. However, i am confused if my spouse can also apply for the EAD or not. When i filed the asylum application, my spouse was not in US and i didn't include my spouse in the application but i did mention the details of my spouse in the application. Also, we haven't notified USCIS about the arrival. Do we need to inform them or they will later know it from the immigration? My spouse is currently in a valid status.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

work permit for us im canadian citizen accompaning husband he has a job in usa

I was just wandering what to do as my husband got a job and all the visa formalities are done by the employer as i wanted to accompany him and also
work whilst I am there and wandering what steps needed to be taken prior to my arrival in states and also if usa rules are similar to Canadian Immigration ..also Me and my husband are Canadian Citizens...or if i would get an open work permit as per my husbands work permit and status validaty any input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Zul

Hi All,

At the end of this month, i'll be eiligible to apply for my EAD. However, i am confused if my spouse can also apply for the EAD or not. When i filed the asylum application, my spouse was not in US and i didn't include my spouse in the application but i did mention the details of my spouse in the application. Also, we haven't notified USCIS about the arrival. Do we need to inform them or they will later know it from the immigration? My spouse is currently in a valid status.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Hi ndsrego Cap,
Your wife can not apply for EAD. this is due to the following reasons:-
1. As you point out, you never included her in your asylum application. So she has no asylum claim.
2. When you filled your application, she was not in the US, this means you never sent to USCIS any of her documentation. So she is not in their system at all.
3. EAD applications are done for asylum seekers who have not yet received any decision for more than 150 days. (Decision pending for over 150 dyas since you applied for asylum) your wife has neither of these grounds to apply for an EAD.

Now that being said, I would advice you to get legal counsel to help you answer other questions. If you included her as your spouse in the I-589 application, then when you get approval letter, she will automatically get papers too.

Waz!