Work permit for Canadian Pre-School Teacher

monty74

Registered Users (C)
I am Canadain citizen working in USA on TN visa. My wife is on TD visa. We know that she can not get work on TD visa. Even she is not eligible for TN Visa under elementary/ Pre-School Teacher category. We need advice ,
how does she get a work permit in USA as Pre-School Teacher. She has completed undergraduate programme in Early childhood Edcuation from Ontari,Canada.

Thanks,

Thanks. However she has job offer from private school. How does she start work immediately or she has to wait for next year. Any ideas ? what about H2-B visa. Does she qualify ?

A job offer is NOT immigration sponsorship. she will need a valid work status before beginning work.

H1-B is her best bet. H2-b is very temporary and requires sponsor to prove no US worker available (this is not required for TN or H1-B). Even if eligible, the porcess would take several weeks. and since there are teahers looking for work, there is little chance for h2, IMO.

As was mentionned above, she may be eligible for h1, without a quota restriction.

But, I repeat, most school sytems will NOT get involved with sponsorship of foreign teachers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. However she has job offer from private school. How does she start work immediately or she has to wait for next year. Any ideas ? what about H2-B visa. Does she qualify ?
I guess your wife failed to mention she's not a USC or GC holder when she was going through the interview process?
Seriously, the school should know who they can or cannot sponsor for employment you shouldn't need to be asking this question at this point. This shows a serious flaw in either the school's interview process or your wife's negiotation skills.
I'm not trying to be mean here but how the hell does one get to the end of an interview loop and not have had the "Oh, but I need immigration sponsorship to take the position" conversation?

$$$ -- we are talking Pre-school here -- a scant step above daycare.

I guess your wife failed to mention she's not a USC or GC holder when she was going through the interview process?
Seriously, the school should know who they can or cannot sponsor for employment you shouldn't need to be asking this question at this point. This shows a serious flaw in either the school's interview process or your wife's negiotation skills.
I'm not trying to be mean here but how the hell does one get to the end of an interview loop and not have had the "Oh, but I need immigration sponsorship to take the position" conversation?

Sounds more like the "interview" and "offer" were made at a church social.

Sounds more like the "interview" and "offer" were made at a church social.

The specifics of the offer and the school's likelihood to sponsor require you to make assumptions based on facts not in evidence, Nelson. ;)

She needs an H-1 to work, if the school is willing to sponsor. If it is, then great. If it's not willing, then it's not going to happen. Unless we get more information, I don't see many positive directions for this thread to go in.

This is private pre-school. My wife has already explained them that she needs work permit. TN status allows only to teach in college or university. They are ready for H1-B but now it is too late, she needs to apply next april in lottery system.

We are looking for other working status so that she can start work immediately. We don't know which status. I think they should allow TN status wife can work ( on TD status). Australian's spouse can work in USA on E3 status.

Australia (and US) have better treaty negociatiors than canada. Even spouses of US TN in Canada can work.

Look into the school's eligibility for h1 quota-exemption. If they aren't exempt, then even getting H1 next year is a matter of lottery.
Also ensure that your state requires a degree to teach pre-school. Most don't.