Work on TN visa or Canadian GC in Canada while IR-1 & K-4 visa process is pending

citizen_hopeful

Registered Users (C)
Can I work in Canada (to be with my family) on TN visa while my wife's IR-1 process & minor child's K-4 process is pending?

How about me getting Canadian Green card and working there?

I'm currently working in the US, can I add my family to medical insuarnce here in the US (considering my family is from a visa waiver country)?

I know these are a lot of diffrerent questions, I would appreciate your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I work in Canada (to be with my family) on TN visa while my wife's IR-1 process & minor child's K-4 process is pending?

I don't see why not, provided you can still demonstrate that all of you will reside in the US when it's all complete. And why are you doing an IR-1 for your spouse and a K-4 for your stepchild?

How about me getting Canadian Green card and working there?

It'll take longer to get that than a US GC for your spouse, I bet.

I'm currently working in the US, can I add my family to medical insuarnce here in the US (considering my family is from a visa waiver country)?

if they don't reside in the US, I doubt it - and a country being part of the VWP has nothing to do with it. (And Canada is NOT a VWP country, btw.)

You mean I can do a IR-1 process for my minor child too instead of a K-4? So instead of a separate IR-1 for the child, can our minor child (not step child) be included on my wife's IR-1 process ?

Not manny people have any idea about how long a N-600k application for a minor child takes, so I dont know if I should pursue that route.

Child is bilogical mine (born in canada to my wife) and is not a US citizen. what filing process woud you recommend for the minor child - seperate IR1 process or same IR1 process as my wife or K4 process or N-600k for minor children born abroad (different for N-600).

Child is bilogical mine (born in canada to my wife) and is not a US citizen.

If the child isn't a US citizen (I assume born before you naturalized), then it's straightforward - the child needs to immigrate to the US. Forget about the N-600k.

what filing process woud you recommend for the minor child - seperate IR1 process or same IR1 process as my wife

The child needs its own IR-1 process. I really wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the K3/K4 - I'd focus on getting your wife and child to the US as quickly as possible. If you want to file an I-129F for your wife and child you can, I'm just not sure how much time it will save. What consulate would they be doing their interview at?

Yes the child was born before I got my US Citizenshp. They will interview at the toronto consulate.

Well, if they're going to interview in Toronto, the wait for K visas should be pretty negligible. You may want to file an I-130 and I-129F for your wife and child, have them get the Ks and then file the I-485 once they enter the US. That might be the quickest. Where will you be filing the I-129/130s?